Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Had my "assessment" this morning. If you could call it an assessment.
    I met the woman, a very nice woman actually. Very nice looking, friendly, etc :pac:

She brought myself and the other 2 BBS co-ops into a room. She thought there was 4 co-ops to be assessed, but the 4th name she had was the name of our site manager, the one who was required to fill out Intel's section of the evaluation forms :rolleyes:

She basically asked us to evaluate our placement on a form, any difficulties incurred, and projects that were really beneficial, blah blah blah...
    Then she spoke to our manager for 10-15 mins about us, and he evaluated us on the forms, and she left.

A nice way to pass a good 30mins or more of one's day :D
    And of course, walking her back to her car had to be done, its the courteous thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Mossin wrote: »
    Had my "assessment" this morning. If you could call it an assessment.
    I met the woman, a very nice woman actually. Very nice looking, friendly, etc :pac:

She brought myself and the other 2 BBS co-ops into a room. She thought there was 4 co-ops to be assessed, but the 4th name she had was the name of our site manager, the one who was required to fill out Intel's section of the evaluation forms :rolleyes:

She basically asked us to evaluate our placement on a form, any difficulties incurred, and projects that were really beneficial, blah blah blah...
    Then she spoke to our manager for 10-15 mins about us, and he evaluated us on the forms, and she left.

A nice way to pass a good 30mins or more of one's day :D
    And of course, walking her back to her car had to be done, its the courteous thing to do.
    You sir.

if I had a top hat, I'd tip it in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

No better man.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

So, I'm going on co-op in January, and I've been charged with finding a house for five other's who are going on co-op at the same time. What do most people do for accom for the few months? Any landlord I've rang basically wants to hang up as soon as I mention it. Maybe I shouldnt mention it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Don't tell them you're a student first off, just tell them you're on a ~8 month contract with whatever company although feeding a landlord a story about 5 of you not being not students probably wouldn't wash. Your best bet might be to try in an area where students usually live depending on where the job is.

• Advertisement

Sorry, just realised how badly I worded that question now. :o

What I'm actually trying to figure out is how to get accom around UL for Semester 1 only, because we don't go on co-op until January, and we are all more than likely going to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Sorry, just realised how badly I worded that question now. :o

What I'm actually trying to figure out is how to get accom around UL for Semester 1 only, because we don't go on co-op until January, and we are all more than likely going to Dublin.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I got Brookfield for semester one only, if that helps.

Rineanna wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, and I got Brookfield for semester one only, if that helps.

Cool, I will look into that. I didn't know they take people for one semester only. You're a BBS'er as well?

If you know people coming back from co-op in January, such as Law and Euro, then try and get them to fill a house for the second semester.

Brookfield is also an option.
    Otherwise, dont tell a landlord that you are going on co-op, but be prepared to lose a deposit using this method.

Otherwise, dont tell a landlord that you are going on co-op, but be prepared to lose a deposit using this method.

Ya I was thinking of doing that. Although a friend has got a house with three others going on co-op in Jan aswell, and he hasnt told the landlord. That landlord offered me another house, but I would feel pretty bad leaving him with two empty houses at the same time. :D Wouldnt mind loosing the deposit as long as I can get somewhere though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm loving Co-Op. My expenses for the last 3 weeks are €50 short of a month's salary:D:D:D Though I was a little out of pocket for the last 2 weeks!!

Only 20 working days remaining. :)
    Bring on the 27th of August :)

We got a bonus last week, an extra €500 in my payslip last time out, it nice of them to share a small portion of the ~€20bn they've made this year already :p

I've finished my co-op report too, thats only cos im bored to tears at times, and I thought it'd be better to finish it while on co-op rather than have it hang over me during next semester.

I was playing an indoor tournament at work as well, our team has reached the semi-finals :) Unbeaten at that!!
    But this is holiday season at work, so the organisers have moved the semis until Sept :mad: And by that time 95% of all the co-ops will have left...Interesting when 3 out of out the 4 semifinalists have co-ops on their teams, and the one which doesnt is organising the event....They will have an advantage when the co-ops leave...Typical !! :pac:

Another stupid update post, just because I'm bored tbh.

7 days remaining.
    Co-op report finished and sitting beside me printed and bound.
    No work to do because I finished it last week, and my boss is just back from holidays and wont bother reading my work until late in the week I'd say, so back to free online games, and watching the Olympics :D

I cant wait to return to college and see you all again.

I missed my alarm clock this morning and arrived an hour late. my boss is now gone out and I'm waiting on him to come back to give me a few specifics for what I'm doing. I do however have 3 other jobs on my desk that I *could* be doing....actually there's an idea.

Off this Thursday, Friday and next Monday reviewing your clubs and socs budgets......6 working days left:D:D

P.s. haven't had a co-op visit, but did notice an evaluation form on the boss' desk this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 divad

Finished friday, cannot wait to get back to UL, the report is a bit of a bitch. So to the FYP guidelines they send ya out,don't excatly give you much time to find a project to do.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Off this Thursday, Friday and next Monday reviewing your clubs and socs budgets......6 working days left:D:D

P.s. haven't had a co-op visit, but did notice an evaluation form on the boss' desk this morning.

6 days left, but you finish after me! :D

Weird that you havent had somebody out to "evaluate" you yet. Its a joke of a system anyhow, you're not missing much.
    divad wrote: »
    Finished friday, cannot wait to get back to UL, the report is a bit of a bitch. So to the FYP guidelines they send ya out,don't excatly give you much time to find a project to do.

I cant wait to begin again either, this work malarky is not all is cracked up to be, especially in a place you hate!!
    The report is a joke, you end up repeating what you did 3 times, just under different headings, and just to waste paper. Mine sits beside me at work, just waiting to be handed up.
    As for the FYP, what course are you doing? Why havent you chosen a topic yet? We had to have our proposal in before co-op, sometime last October/November iirc.:(

Im doing Production Mgt but we only got our FYP guideline and proposal form sent out last week. Suppose it seems like an impossible task at this stage i'l just have to get my head around it.

Report is coming along good though, 15+ pages of quality already :)

Ah I understand now.

15 pages of a report already...mine is 14 pages long, then an appendix list, and the appendices are about 25+ pages lol...

Ah I understand now.

15 pages of a report already...mine is 14 pages long, then an appendix list, and the appendices are about 25+ pages lol...

What have you got in your Appendices, did you have to keep a log book and do ya have to put those stupid pre and postskills forms in it too??

What have you got in your Appendices, did you have to keep a log book and do ya have to put those stupid pre and postskills forms in it too??

No I didnt have to keep a log book, so that will make you wonder what I have in my appendices.....well I'll tell you..

The Pre and Post co-op assessments = 6 pages
    My initial training plan = 1 page
    A smaple of my quarterly objectives = 1 page
    My top 5 skills learnt in some stupid team building thingy = 1 page
    Lists of my completed trainings = 8 pages
    Sample minutes from a co-op meeting = 1 page
    A copy of the handout we designed for Intel, which is being used for all new hires = 12 pages

So appendices total 30 pages actually :pac:

• Advertisement

No I didnt have to keep a log book, so that will make you wonder what I have in my appendices.....well I'll tell you..

The Pre and Post co-op assessments = 6 pages
    My initial training plan = 1 page
    A smaple of my quarterly objectives = 1 page
    My top 5 skills learnt in some stupid team building thingy = 1 page
    Lists of my completed trainings = 8 pages
    Sample minutes from a co-op meeting = 1 page
    A copy of the handout we designed for Intel, which is being used for all new hires = 12 pages

So appendices total 30 pages actually :pac:

Oh thats good, you my friend are a genius, i would have never thought of putting that kinda crap in. Im sorted now, i've loads of useless things to put in cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

So its almost the day I never thought would come - the end of co-op. And weirdest thing has happened. I don't want to leave! Like I would actually be happy to stay and work my way up from where I am here, even if it took a bit longer than college!! :o Well maybe not literally...

Had a big lunch out today, 12 of us, 3 course meal, wine and all, and didn't come back until half 3. Then had a "tea party" - a ritual in our department! - where everyone came in, a speech was made and we all had tea and chocolate. Got a great present of a purse and a big money collection (theres my first months rent!!) and then my boss called me in, thanked me and gave me a hug! (Not in a sexual harrassment kinda way :rolleyes:)

Sorry for the rant, I mean, I'll be first in the door of the Lodge on orientation week but I thought co-op was supposed to be crap - I've just had the best 8 months ever. I'm gonna miss Dublin!:o

dee8839 wrote: »
    So its almost the day I never thought would come - the end of co-op. And weirdest thing has happened. I don't want to leave! Like I would actually be happy to stay and work my way up from where I am here, even if it took a bit longer than college!! :o Well maybe not literally...

Had a big lunch out today, 12 of us, 3 course meal, wine and all, and didn't come back until half 3. Then had a "tea party" - a ritual in our department! - where everyone came in, a speech was made and we all had tea and chocolate. Got a great present of a purse and a big money collection (theres my first months rent!!) and then my boss called me in, thanked me and gave me a hug! (Not in a sexual harrassment kinda way :rolleyes:)

Sorry for the rant, I mean, I'll be first in the door of the Lodge on orientation week but I thought co-op was supposed to be crap - I've just had the best 8 months ever. I'm gonna miss Dublin!:o

Its nice to hear that you had a good time. I liked my coop aswell. Did you go to any of the many boards beers up here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

The Don wrote: »
    Its nice to hear that you had a good time. I liked my coop aswell. Did you go to any of the many boards beers up here?

Not one! Really wanted to but I'm the only one in my group in boards and didn't really feel right going alone. You? I'm interested in this whole BULBs thing though...

Not one! Really wanted to but I'm the only one in my group in boards and didn't really feel right going alone. You? I'm interested in this whole BULBs thing though...

I've been to alot, especially recently. The first few I went with some of the lads that are on boards but since I've gone to them on my own. They've all been great craic. BULBs are good aswell. We'll be at the one on the 8th.:D

There's a small one on tomorrow night in D2 on harcourt St.

I'm off til tuesday and finishing on Friday, my manager is off on honeymoon and the partner in chage of my dept. is off next week so as I was on my way out yesterday, I got a feedback talk which to all intents and purposes said "We'd love to have you back, but you'll have to go through the interview process from round 2 up. I'll be recommending you if you do"

Said he felt the overall level and quality of the co-op experience was something different and better this year.

I was delighted. Really was and I'm really enjoying co-op anyway.

Also said that training to be an accountant in a big 4 firm is pointless, because you'll be an expert in specifics without a broad training base (which I tend to agree with given what I've heard from others).

My co-op report is going to be noplace near 30 pages. (Thanks Dave, but I'm gonna summarise it to about 10-15)

We're having our going away party next Thursday or Friday, but I'll really actually miss it, not the early mornings though:D:D

Just finished my report 32 pages altogether, looks pretty impreesive if i do say so. The lads in work had leaving party for me last night, ended up in Copper, am absolutely dyin today. There so cool here, its basically a party in the office all day, eveyone is popping in for tea and chocolate and all we're doing is watching the Olympics online..

It's not weird at all.
    I can understand it completely, and I'm glad that someone had a good co-op. :)
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Said he felt the overall level and quality of the co-op experience was something different and better this year.

I was delighted. Really was and I'm really enjoying co-op anyway.

My co-op report is going to be noplace near 30 pages. (Thanks Dave, but I'm gonna summarise it to about 10-15)

I think they tell students every year that the quality of the co-op experience was better this year ...blah blah...

My co-op report is only 15 pages, its the appendices that are 30 pages, so in total its actually 45 pages :eek:
    Just finished my report 32 pages altogether, looks pretty impreesive if i do say so. The lads in work had leaving party for me last night, ended up in Copper, am absolutely dyin today. There so cool here, its basically a party in the office all day, eveyone is popping in for tea and chocolate and all we're doing is watching the Olympics online..

We had our going away party thursday night. Started in Charlies and finished in Angel Lane, from what I remember it was a brilliant night, and we got all the full-timers absolutely langered. The last thing that I remember is telling my boss that I wouldnt be in work Friday :pac:
    And it was the best thing I've ever done, as I spent yesterday in the foetal position with the worst hangover ever seen in this house [possibly a lie, as there have been some monstrous hangovers seen here in the past 3 years]
    I still have 3 days remaining, and I've no real work to be doing, so it should be a good laugh.

I think they tell students every year that the quality of the co-op experience was better this year ...blah blah...

Snap! :p:D

• Advertisement

The time has finally arrived in my college experience for this co-op malarky.

Next Monday at 9:30 I begin work for 8 long and, probably most definitely, arduous months.
    INTEL in Shannon is my destination.
    Gotta move out there this Sunday, can't wait for that part to be honest, but the thoughts of actaully working is killing me...

So this thread is here for people to comment on their experiences, give advice, and listen to me bitch weekly about co-op.

I want to wish everyone else goodluck with their co-op too.

Well look here, my 8 month ordeal is fastly approaching an end. At 5:30pm today I'll be finished my co-op placement.

Lets see, I moved to Shannon all the way back in January, and lived with a psycho Chinese landlord, and the boredom and dullness that is Shannon for all of 7 weeks, before I got enough of it, and moved back to Limerick, and commuted each day since.

I took the odd "sick" day due to unforseen illness due to some excellent nights out in Limerick in which the Icon somehow became my regular nightclub :(

I met over 20 co-ops here though, and made some brilliant friends as a result :)

My work was all market research, and fairly boring, but so what, sometimes its better to find out on co-op what you dont want to do rather than what you do!

The overall experience of co-op was good, just because I didnt like the atmosphere at work, the work in general, or the 9-5 aspect, it doesnt mean I didnt gain some valuable life experiences.

Advertisement