Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think BDO learned a lifelong lesson about hiring neat freaks!! Went tidying yesterday AGAIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ninty9er wrote: »
    I think BDO learned a lifelong lesson about hiring neat freaks!! Went tidying yesterday AGAIN

You wouldn't come up here and tidy my desk for me? I'm too lazy to sort through everything on it and a trip to the paper shredder is a bit far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Congrats on finishing/surviving Moss! The 8 months seemed to fly! ...Well, perhaps you yourself may think differently about that!:D

Are all co-op folk finishing this week?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Only 2 weeks to go here in Intel as well ex this week :) - Looking forward to going back to cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Congrats on finishing/surviving Moss! The 8 months seemed to fly! ...Well, perhaps you yourself may think differently about that!:D

Are all co-op folk finishing this week?!

The majority of people are finishing this week or next, unlike Webmonkey there, who isnt finished until the 12th :p

All of the BBS class will be finished by the 5th Sept.

@FM...yeah the 8 months flew by in fairness, its surprising how quickly they went in spite of the seemingly endless days like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 *Sully*

Ah, in our office someone was always abroad with the Committee members (I was working on the Joint Committee on European Affairs in the Houses of the Oireachtas, which, obviously, entailed a lot of travelling)...it was customary to bring back foreign sweets to try them out. We liked Tofifees (that's not a misspelling)..I'm not sure if they're available here. We'd be eating for the entire day! It was great... And then there were the sessions in the Dáil bar... *sigh* :D

Anyone wanna swap co-op for an FYP instead? Anyone? Anyone at all? :(

That co-op sounds perfect, Im doing European Studies and I want to do something relevant to my degree. Plus I really love travelling! How did you get that placement?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Helikaon

I am a new poster, just found this site.
    Had a bad experience with the U.L. Coop office. I started coop last June, was out in Germany for it. I wanted to get away from the job and area, but coop office refused. I told them I had a done an interview and was given a new job. There first reply to this was that I would fail my coop, then they said they would take the Leonardo grant off me. Came out with all sorts off silly stuff. They are a bunch of bullies and I let them know that in the report forms and my Coop report, to which i got no reply. Be warned...

Helikaon wrote: »
    I am a new poter, just found this site.
    Had a bad experience with the U.L. Coop office.

Theya re a bunch of bullies and I let them know that in the report forms and my Coop report, to which i got no reply. Be warned...

I don't think it's very fair to label an entire department as a bunch of bullies based on a single experience with them, as a wise person once said there's two sides to every story.

They may have their faults and failings but they do manage to work pretty well most of the time.

Im afraid I am not the only 1 rmacm. Another lad went over to the same place I was in January. He also hated the experience, he had to tell the Coop office he was getting really ill and depressed about the situation. Members of his family had to go and plead the situation.It took him alot of time and persuasion for them to let him leave.
    I have heard of countless other issues with people over the years.
    I sent them mails and filled out their reports, but no replies. Why? Because I had gone tru the Coop system and didnt matter to them anymore.
    So yes, I do reckon they are bullies.

Im afraid I am not the only 1 rmacm. Another lad went over to the same place I was in January. He also hated the experience, he had to tell the Coop office he was getting really ill and depressed about the situation. Members of his family had to go and plead the situation.It took him alot of time and persuasion for them to let him leave.
    I have heard of countless other issues with people over the years.
    I sent them mails and filled out their reports, but no replies. Why? Because I had gone tru the Coop system and didnt matter to them anymore.
    So yes, I do reckon they are bullies.

I don't think your experience on co-op can be blamed totally on the co-op office. I'm not questioning what happened yourself and the other person on co-op but I think to label the entire department as bullies is a bit over the top, it's essentially the same as declaring that all gardai are bullies based on one bad experience with them.

Hearing of countless stories over the years doesn't add up to proof that the co-op office are a shower of bullies. I mean I can tell you a story about a close friend of mine who also had a bad experience on co-op in France, UL no longer send people on co-op to this place on the back of reports from my friend and those who were over there with her.

You're making an awful assumption about why you have received no reply from the co-op office too. You don't know that nothing has or is being done about what happened to yourself and the other person that was in the same place as you. Based on my experience they do their job as best they can, sure they screw up on occassion but it's not up to the co-op office to ensure you have a good experience from the get go. Sure they can make sure the companies that they allow to do interviews are reputable and not a shower of chancers but that's about all they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Helikaon have you rang them or have you just sent emails and reports?

Dont patronise rmacm. I could give the full story of the phone calls made and what was been said in those calls, but it would take a long script and I dont have the time to write it. My experience and the experience of the lad that preceeded, as well as plenty of other people I have heard had bad encounters with them over many years is enough for me to go on.

I know that they are only trying to protect their own interests with keeping the company sweet, so that they can be approached to take more students the next semester. I understand that it takes time to settle in anywhere, but there is no in between, nobody who will speak on behalf of the students that are away.

Sorry Don, I have not approached them, as I feel they are unapproachable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dont patronise rmacm. I could give the full story of the phone calls made and what was been said in those calls, but it would take a long script and I dont have the time to write it. My experience and the experience of the lad that preceeded, as well as plenty of other people I have heard had bad encounters with them over many years is enough for me to go on.

I know that they are only trying to protect their own interests with keeping the company sweet, so that they can be approached to take more students the next semester. I understand that it takes time to settle in anywhere, but there is no in between, nobody who will speak on behalf of the students that are away.!

I was actually starting to have pity for you...

...until you said this.

So because you think that they are unapproachable, you haven't even tried to approach them? Er, what?

Otacon, I didnt post here looking for pity. I posted as a warning to others who will be going on Coop, especially abroad.
    Ok, I was a bit harsh with me calling "all" of them bullies, but i am still seething with anger over a year later. I talked to at least 3 of them in there over my prediciment, all had the same attitude. So either I have anger issues or there is something up with the coop office.
    And I dont believe it is anger issues, as I get over small grievances quickly.

Feel free to give me advice on what I should do or say to them. As I would hate for others to encounter what I have (which has already happened)!!!

Dont patronise rmacm.

My apologies it wasn't my intention to come across in a patronising manner.
    My experience and the experience of the lad that preceeded, as well as plenty of other people I have heard had bad encounters with them over many years is enough for me to go on.

Yes but hearsay (aside from your own experience) isn't a good way to form the opinion that a group of people are a shower of bullies. We're all guilty of it at times however and as I said I wasn't questioning the validity of your experience on co-op and what happened you.
    I know that they are only trying to protect their own interests with keeping the company sweet, so that they can be approached to take more students the next semester. I understand that it takes time to settle in anywhere, but there is no in between, nobody who will speak on behalf of the students that are away.

Everybody tries to protect their own interests, it's human nature to do so. That story I told in my previous post is true, UL no longer send students on co-op to the place in France where my friend was. So in that situation the co-op office definitely didn't keep the "company sweet", acting in the interest of students perhaps?

Well if you feel you are getting nowhere with the Co-op office why don't you contact the head of your department? Explain your case to them and see if they can do anything about it. Oh and the SU too, contact the Education Officer and see if they can help you.

rmacm, I dont know if you have seen my last post. I apologised for my labelling of the entire office.

I appreciate that they stopped sending students to where you were sent. It did not happen in my case and as I explained earlier another student had to go to extremes to get out, all first hand as I met him on a couple of occasions in germany and kept in contact with him by e-mail.
    My comments about others and their complaints is not hearsay. I am in my late 20's, from Limerick City and went to a Limerick secondry school, I know of a lot of people who have passed tru the doors of U.L.

I think there should be somebody in place for the interest of the student, not the coop office. Why did they send some1 out to a friend of mine in New York and not to me in Germany? As I was the person with the problems and he was hunky dory enjoying his coop.

rmacm, I dont know if you have seen my last post. I apologised for my labelling of the entire office.

Yep I saw.
    I appreciate that they stopped sending students to where you were sent.

It wasn't me that was sent there it was a friend of mine. I did my co-op in Dublin.
    I think there should be somebody in place for the interest of the student, not the coop office. Why did they send some1 out to a friend of mine in New York and not to me in Germany? As I was the person with the problems and he was hunky dory enjoying his coop.

As I said try the head of your department/course director or the Education Officer in the SU. They may be able to help you.

The help is not for me, its for others coming thru.
    I doubt 1 person on a crusade is going to get anywhere.

My initial post was meant to be a warning but turned out to be a rant, apologies.
    So I will just say to others, be careful with the coop office. You really have to work them and in some light go to extremes to get the best out of "your" coop. At the end of the day, its going to be the student overthere for 9 months, not the coop office.

I want to wish all the current 3rd year BBS students the best of luck with their upcoming co-op interviews.

I know that one UL Boardsie has an interview with Intel tomorrow. I wont mention who it is, just in case.

Yes, my dreaded nemesis Intel is back and in for the kill early :p

Good luck to all, I hope you get somthing good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Mossin wrote: »
    I want to wish all the current 3rd year BBS students the best of luck with their upcoming co-op interviews.

Sound! :)

I've an interview in Shannon tomorrow with GE Commercial Aviation.

I'd really appreciate any info that anyone can give on a typical interview for a co-op placement. Is it standard interview type questions or slightly different to that of a standard job. I actually have 4 interviews, for a placement in 4 different departments. Getting fairly anxious about it now cause this is where I was hoping to get placement! :eek:

• Advertisement

The interview is fairly standard.

Questions such as:
    Tell me about yourself?
    What subjects do you like/dislike in college?
    Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?
    What is your best skill/ability?
    What is your worst attribute? - make sure you turn this into a positive response

Thats all I can think of offhand..

Its not too daunting, just relax and you'll do fine, I hope you get it...

And just on a side note: DONT MOVE TO SHANNON!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mossin, much appreciated!

I'll have to back up Mossin here with living in Shannon - just don't - Its bad enough having to drive in there in mornings to work not to mind living there.

Edit - w00t - 3000 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Apologies to all 3rd Yr Accounting and Finance.....I was the person supposed to come to your co-op talk....got called into work:(

GECAS is supposed to be great craic anyways Dave. One of my friend's housemates was there for co-op. The social side is apparently excellent. Can't say that for anyplace in Limerick though.

We did have work nights out once a month, as with any other company, but the co-op night out didn't really happen where I was, I suppose not helped by the fact 3 of the 6 of us were from Limerick and living at home and 2 of the other 3 don't drink:rolleyes:

Anywho, real enjoyable experience. Was at a night out with the company there on Friday for a leaving do. They're feeling the pressure without us....the words were "I could have done with having you around this week"

Good to feel valued:D:D

Ya I had heard about Shannon being bad from a few others as well. As a matter of interest, what is it thats so bad? I don't know the town at all, only place I've been to is the airport. I'm planning to live around UL if I get the job with a few fellow BBSers/Laccys that are doing co-op around Limerick.
    Apologies to all 3rd Yr Accounting and Finance.....I was the person supposed to come to your co-op talk....got called into work

Ahh, so you're the one that co-op manager said got cold feet!

The town of Shannon is one single shopping centre - the Skycourt.
    In the begining of Co Op, I spent many evenings driving around, looking for the town - no sign of it. Only realised I was in the town later on. The village where I come from is about 10 times the size of Shannon town.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Apologies to all 3rd Yr Accounting and Finance.....I was the person supposed to come to your co-op talk....got called into work:(

We did have work nights out once a month, as with any other company, but the co-op night out didn't really happen where I was, I suppose not helped by the fact 3 of the 6 of us were from Limerick and living at home and 2 of the other 3 don't drink:rolleyes:

Jeez Ninty, thats a nice precedent to set for the next class isnt it by not turning up, and least I had to decency to speak to the 3rd year BBS with Marketing and HR students on Wednesday...It had nothing to do with the free dinner offered to us by Colette Fitzgerald in the Millstream Restaurant...The bill for 3 of us came to €201 :pac: What a fantastically posh place btw.

As for co-op nights out where I worked, we had a night out every thurs or every second thurs. There were 25 co-ops there by the start of June, so we had some excellent nights out throughtout the summer.
    ImDave wrote: »
    Ya I had heard about Shannon being bad from a few others as well. As a matter of interest, what is it thats so bad? I don't know the town at all, only place I've been to is the airport.
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    In the begining of Co Op, I spent many evenings driving around, looking for the town - no sign of it. Only realised I was in the town later on. The village where I come from is about 10 times the size of Shannon town.

As Webmonkey said Shannon is just the Skycourt shopping centre. As I've said numerous times in this thread, its a hole, I lived there for 7 weeks, and then I came back to live in Limerick. Shannon is so dull and lifeless, and most people who live there, work elsewhere, its basically a commuter town, and a bad one at that!!

ImDave wrote: »
    Ya I had heard about Shannon being bad from a few others as well. As a matter of interest, what is it thats so bad?
    Webmonkey wrote: »

Aye that about covers it.
    Mossin wrote: »
    As Webmonkey said Shannon is just the Skycourt shopping centre. As I've said numerous times in this thread, its a hole, I lived there for 7 weeks, and then I came back to live in Limerick. Shannon is so dull and lifeless, and most people who live there, work elsewhere, its basically a commuter town, and a bad one at that!!

Yeah it's a hole of a place, the only time I ever enjoyed being in Shannon were those times I couldn't remember being in Shannon the next morning. Well actually it wasn't a case of total memory loss.....I do remember the whole rolling down a hill thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I do remember the whole rolling down a hill thing.

As does everyone else given your everlasting habit of telling all and sundry of your drunken shenanigans in Shannon that one time. -.-

• Advertisement

www.shannon.ie says it all tbh.

Not a single good photo to be found on it - no wonder.

Advertisement