Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cagey08

hi, anyone any idea how much you get paid doin ur co op in one of the big 4 accounting companies up in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

cagey08 wrote: »
    hi, anyone any idea how much you get paid doin ur co op in one of the big 4 accounting companies up in dublin?

Minimum wage more than likely. Co-op == cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The Don wrote: »
    Saying that, Dublin do seem to pay more than other parts of the country, least in IT, they do but you must remember living in Dublin is quite a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Don wrote: »

If you're lucky...you may get minimum wage as it's Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

Anyone know what the pay is like on coop. Im workin in boston scientific this summer. cant find anywhere what the pay is tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Might be alright in industry. Either way it'll be minimum wage at best, coop companies aren't obliged to pay you anything as you'll be considered an intern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dazzaq07

Anyone know of any jobs available in Spain? My co-op still isn't sorted. :(

Either is mine, sort of half regret the Semester 2 QCA ruining madness but hey it was good fun. :D

I've heard rumours that they would need 65 companies to place everyone by this January. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sm124

ok i really do not normally write on these things but the coop office is something that REALLY gets me.....first of all it is generally pointless for students of languages because we can very rarely get jobs that will have any benefit for our career, why not just send us on erasmus for the year???
    2nd of all it is run terribly. for the problems we have it is down to our placement officer, you know that person you meet once and then they expect you to know exactly who they are). i was told by mine she is for french placements , that the staff in ul have no power over any decisions.......her words "said staff member does not know anything and doesnt have the right to tell you anything". !!so after having to send them my cv 7 times because they kept losing it, using methods such as fax email registered post I finally got an interview in mid december just before exams. I was given a week to arrange flights everything for the 4th of january, with no financial aid because the job i had provided us with 'accomodation', a room i was expected to share with a complete stranger after being told i would have my own room, a room filled with old shabby furniture and a window that wouldn't open, one toliet for 13 people and 2 showers one for girls one for boys. no kitchen, no living space we wer even expected to be in by 11 o' clock every night and if we weren't we recieved dirty looks and comments the next day. I'm not going to go into the nature of what actually happened there but it was an extremely illegal environment and not safe for a girl. My parents asked them so many times could I leave I asked them but I just recieved the reply of no constantly and got visits from the above mentioned ignorant idiot and was treated like i was a brat. I was working 35-40 hours a week and earning 300 a month, no grant included, living in one of the most expensive cities in europe. So when I finally left i was told none of my time there would count towards my coop after being told that if i worked my notice it would. A complete waste of 3/4 months and no refund of any money which they are meant to do after you spend over 3months away. They asked me for an email to detail what happened and promised me that they would not send people there again. What did they do??tried to send more people there, luckily i'm friends with someone who knew the girl they were trying to send there and once she heard the story she refused immediately. I know people do have good experiences and gain invaluable life lessons and experience, but when you get so much negative feedback if you have a problem and have to live on literally no money and have to get yourself into debt all for an experience that only caused genuine upset then you really have to wonder what is the point in it when I could be sent on erasmus and at least learn french through something that has relevance to my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

sm124, I've edited your post for legalities. I don't want you to get sued, nor do I want boards to get sued. No big deal but we don't drop criticism of staff members in here for good reason. The bulk of your post/complaint has been left as-is, if you need any extra clarification, feel free to PM me at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

I was on €20,000 a year when i was on co-op it was in dublin with one of the big insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Peadar87 wrote: »
    I was on €20,000 a year when i was on co-op it was in dublin with one of the big insurance companies
    Dublin generally pay more due to the cost of living up there. From what I've seen in the IT industry at least.

Edit: Ok I said the exact same thing months ago up further :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Baalbec

Originally Posted by Peadar87 View Post

A place like Citi in Dublin pays €27,000 p/a for coop;apparently its due to some union spec...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

sm124 wrote: »
    ok i really do not normally write on these things but the coop office is something that REALLY gets me.....first of all it is generally pointless for students of languages because we can very rarely get jobs that will have any benefit for our career, why not just send us on erasmus for the year???
    2nd of all it is run terribly. for the problems we have it is down to our placement officer, you know that person you meet once and then they expect you to know exactly who they are). i was told by mine she is for french placements , that the staff in ul have no power over any decisions.......her words "said staff member does not know anything and doesnt have the right to tell you anything". !!so after having to send them my cv 7 times because they kept losing it, using methods such as fax email registered post I finally got an interview in mid december just before exams. I was given a week to arrange flights everything for the 4th of january, with no financial aid because the job i had provided us with 'accomodation', a room i was expected to share with a complete stranger after being told i would have my own room, a room filled with old shabby furniture and a window that wouldn't open, one toliet for 13 people and 2 showers one for girls one for boys. no kitchen, no living space we wer even expected to be in by 11 o' clock every night and if we weren't we recieved dirty looks and comments the next day. I'm not going to go into the nature of what actually happened there but it was an extremely illegal environment and not safe for a girl. My parents asked them so many times could I leave I asked them but I just recieved the reply of no constantly and got visits from the above mentioned ignorant idiot and was treated like i was a brat. I was working 35-40 hours a week and earning 300 a month, no grant included, living in one of the most expensive cities in europe. So when I finally left i was told none of my time there would count towards my coop after being told that if i worked my notice it would. A complete waste of 3/4 months and no refund of any money which they are meant to do after you spend over 3months away. They asked me for an email to detail what happened and promised me that they would not send people there again. What did they do??tried to send more people there, luckily i'm friends with someone who knew the girl they were trying to send there and once she heard the story she refused immediately. I know people do have good experiences and gain invaluable life lessons and experience, but when you get so much negative feedback if you have a problem and have to live on literally no money and have to get yourself into debt all for an experience that only caused genuine upset then you really have to wonder what is the point in it when I could be sent on erasmus and at least learn french through something that has relevance to my course.

Sounds exactly like my co-op in Paris tbh..... but I got a part time job on the side and had a great time.... granted I was wrecked most of the time but looking back I wouldn't have it any other way.

With you comments on the co-op office... absolutely correct they are ****e!!!!!! I didn't even get a visit!!!

Still haven't gotten coop yet, got an interview with Kerry Group tomorrow in Listowel. Tbh at this stage I'd take anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 charleocoyle

countin down the days meself workn in ennis til jan 25 so boring:o

to answer our question lad try every wk 2 wite down something hen when write ur rep it should b easy:confused:

to answer our question lad try every wk 2 wite down something hen when write ur rep it should b easy:confused:

I think Mossin's coop report is long since handed in :p

didn c d date i say d same man could b finisshd collage:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Charle, if you could knock off the txtspk, that'd be cool - the forum charter doesn't allow it as it's really annoying, there's an entire keyboard of letters available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Argh co-op office doing my head in! I understand their position, its tough out there, but I'm under pressure from accommodation people to have deposits in in the next few weeks! I won't be placed by then as I've already spoke to the coop office and theres nothing they can do. Any ideas? Does anybody know how to get accommodation people off my back or do I just lie? I don't have €400 spare to waste :(

Also wish I'd done more work now last year....

Thanks! =)

Boom! Finally got placed in Dublin :D

cson wrote: »
    Boom! Finally got placed in Dublin :D

Wow... that was late. well done though!!!

Congrats.

Good Luck man!!

Cheers!

Hmmm, I'll probably indulge myself in a Mossin style coop thread now.

cson in the big schmoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Just for the future can you get co-op anywhere? I've read of people going to Europe from UL but how about North America?

My Dad has contacts in California and I have my own contacts in some Philadelphian suburbs. If I was to organise it myself would I be allowed to do that instead of from the co-op office?

For future reference.

RHunce wrote: »
    Just for the future can you get co-op anywhere? I've read of people going to Europe from UL but how about North America?

My Dad has contacts in California and I have my own contacts in some Philadelphian suburbs. If I was to organise it myself would I be allowed to do that instead of from the co-op office?

For future reference.

Yes, is the short answer...... you can do your co-op anywhere.

There are advantages in going eastwards to Europe though.... the Leonardo grant for one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tomcc

anyone know anything about this "alternative programme"(for people who dont get coop) ul have set up instead of coop? Do students do different modules or whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I think you pick modules/projects to do for that semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Mr. K wrote: »
    I think you pick modules/projects to do for that semester.

I'm not so sure that you get to pick them.
    I thought the college gives you assignments to do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Mossin wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that you get to pick them.
    I thought the college gives you assignments to do...

Oh...well that'd make sense, to keep things organised. I imagine that the number of students who can't find anything for co-op is pretty low anyway.

Advertisement