Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy not eating and drinking

Options
  • 04-01-2008 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

4 month old lab , not eating his dog food or even drinking water :(
    we; ve tried different brands of food
    it started with not wanting to eat out of the bowl, and would only eat if he was fed with a spoon !
    Also gave him cooked meat and some pasta .. which he didnt eat much of ....
    in other ways he seems fine .. when im eating my dinner , he sit "begging"
    i know you should nt but gave him some of my meat because i was sorry for him not eating all day ... sometimes he lets out little whimpers , but i dont think in pain , maybe for attention ? i dunno ...
    his nose can get a bit warm/dry, but when hes back from his walk , its cold again ....
    he also has "baggy" looking eyes .. like a Basset hound lol , when we got him at 2 months there was a discharge .. but it cleared up .. and when the vet gave him a overall check didnt say anything ....
    anyone esle ever have a pup that didnt want to eat its own food ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

a dog not eating it's own food because it is in the process of training you to give him yours, that's one thing ...:D

A dog not drinking on the other hand, that is worrying ...off to the vet with you ...tomorrow, first thing !

EDIT: in the meantime, mix some chicken broth into his fresh water ..that will hopefully make him drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

If your pup is not eating or drinking at all then get him checked out by your vet.

Once you've done that and he's been given the all clear pick a decent brand of food and stick to it, don't pander to his fussiness or you're in for a lifetime of pain:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

yeah we did give him chicken broth before ,,, drank a bit ... but not it all .... we dont feed him our food really ... just felt sorry today because this is going on for the last two days ...

also i dont know if this comes into it ... hes only four months ,,, but appears to be in heat ???? :eek:
    normal ?
    i know it can start at 6 months ... maybe like people , some start devolping earlier ...
    he got erect one day , about a month ago (only 3 months) i was suprised that could happen at such a young age ...
    also he is jumping on peoples legs like they do when in heat ...
    Also is it through dogs have a third eyelid .. i noticed about the "baggy" eyes that when he woke up , i was looking at his eyes opening ... and there is like the normal eyelid like people , and then a layer of skin that was under the eyelid that slipped under the eyelids as he was opening eyes .....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I would take him to the vet.A good appetite booster is abidec vitamins for children .They are very good i have even used them on a sick donkey foal who recovered .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

You NEVER use human medication/vitamins/shampoo on animals without asking a vet first!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

if the dog has no diarrhoerra or vomiting and is not sick, he is just not eating his food because he will get something nicer. Pick i good dog food , i use hills science plan available in vet clinic. Work out the amount of food he should be given for his weight and age. Give him the new dog food at his usually feeding times. If he does not eat it take it up and do not offer him any other food. Repeat the same procedure the next day at the same time. He will eventually get the hint if he does not eat the food now he will be left hungery. If he is eating dog food at the moment introduce the new food slowly. Mix the new food in with his old food or he could get diarrhoerra. Let me know how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Male dogs don't come into heat - thats another expression for a bitch having her period and being ready to mate to produce pups.

The erect penis is just a sign of sexual arousal / sexual maturity- it happens all males ( dogs lol )

It's his age and if he is being that interested at his age I would recommend discussing a good time for neutering with your vet tomorrow once any major health problems are ruled out. I am an advocate of all pet dogs being neutered anyway - just saying to make sure with your vet he feels he's healthy enough etc

Keep us updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

if the dog has no diarrhoerra or vomiting and is not sick,

Not always.. not drinking anything is concerning.. puppies can get dehydrated and go down hill quite quickly (not to panic the OP - sorry) blockages, viruses and a few other ailments can produce lack of appetite but no other signs (straight away) so I would take him to the Vet to make sure that he is ok before following the advice of sticking to a good food and feeding times (i.e put food down at same times - if puppy doesn't eat within 15mins remove food. Nothing until next feeding time. This usually works - puppy gets hungry and body clock tunes into eating at mealtime so pup is hungry then)

OP - I would def get him checked over.

Good Luck

Bx

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

the third eyelid showing is generally an indication of poor health - moosh moosh to the vets with you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

Thanks everyone , he is eating and drinking again .... i thinks hes just a bit fussy . one day we didnt try to force him to eat so much ... and the next morning he drank a whole bowl of water and ate a whole bowl of food :)

the third eyelid showing is generally an indication of poor health - moosh moosh to the vets with you!!!

so has anyone seen this before in dogs .... if they return to good health , is the 3rd eye lid not visible anymore ?....
    i only really seen it once the other day...
    but his eyes have always looked "baggy" since we got him .. when we took for 1st check up vets said was fine. i noticed afterwards what i thought was 3ed eyelid, but now cant really.

i was confused if this was just the way some dogs eyes look eg : a bassett hound ... although this fellas a lab ... ?
    i dunno, i heard dogs had a 3rd eyelid and wasnt sure if it was just more visible in some dogs than others ... or just could be the natural shape of his eyes .. ?

• Advertisement

Well i have bred and shown dogs all my life and abidec are first class even a vet will tell you that.They are recommended by vets!
    LuckyStar wrote: »
    You NEVER use human medication/vitamins/shampoo on animals without asking a vet first!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Male dogs don't come in 'heat' but just like Irishmen they get frisky at a very early age.
    Apart from that which is fairly normal -if undesirable- behaviour your dog needs the vet PRONTO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Chicken broth and chicken skin can cause diorrhea in dogs. I found out the hard way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Morganna wrote: »
    Well i have bred and shown dogs all my life

Not the same as being a vet.
    Morganna wrote: »
    abidec are first class even a vet will tell you that.They are recommended by vets!

Good, but you never said that in your post, you said they were for children.

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Not the same as being a

Good, but you never said that in your post, you said they were for children.
    They are for children vets reccomend them for animals my family have shown and bred and trained dogs for generations i have diplomas in puppy rearing dog breeding genetics and hereditary defects so whilst i am not a vet i have had vets ask me for advice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Bring him to the vet.It will put your mind at ease.

GA361 wrote: »
    Bring him to the vet.It will put your mind at ease.
    I agree

Advertisement