Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

duped by car hire company?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Rented a car for this weekend as I need a car on Sunday and run a few errands on saturday. Booked it earlier in the week online from a place I've used good few times before.

Went to pick up car this afternoon as normal, handed over reservation voucher, drivers license and credit card. While waiting received an urgent call. While on the call, the fella behind the counter had gone out to check the car for scratches etc and came back and handed me the contract and damage report....... as I was signing he said he;d charged me for full tank and to bring it back empty.

Raised my eyebrows and questioned it as I need the car for a 100km (if that), he mumbled something about new policy as the company had recently gotten taken over. Had to run at the time, but not feeling happy about it at all.

When renting there before it was full 1/4, 3/4 1/2 tank out same back in, same I'd expect from any rental company. I'd expect the top up charge if you return the tank emptier than when taking it out.

However in this case I was charged a full tank of petrol worth in advance. Yes I know I shouldnt have signed the contract that said full tank out, return empty......... However they charged it to my credit card without requiring either signature or pin, in either case would have had much more time to realize what was happening and have a chance to question it. (beside it being illegal)

I will be phoning their head office in the morning to complain, any suggestions on anything else I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

sly trick by that firm - everyone assumes that you get a full tank and bring it back full to waiver the fuel charge...

Car hire companies seem to be full of tricks. There should be an obudsman for the car hire industry...

Can you name the brand? [you do not have to name the branch]

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

thats the trick I'm accustomed to and wont fall for (or the extra insurance)..... in this case they've charged me for the fuel before hand!!!!! (without pin or signature!!)

Not sure if should name n shame just yet (hope their head office can fix it or lose a regular customer and good word of mouth), but their old name started with an A :P

Advertisement