Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold, wet feet...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I wear meindl's and they keep me dry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Expensive but if they do what they say on the label that's ok. If your facing a long spin is wet cold weather baby oil on your feet is the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

They are grand - certainly keep the wet out.

I use them when cycling to/from work - about 30mins each way. I use them with a pair of Teva sandals, something like http://www.tevadirect.co.uk/teva-mens-mens-teva-terra-c-396_58.html

Probably look odd as fu&k on my bike wearing sandals in the pi$$ings of rain but it beats the hell out of having sogging feet in wet runners/shoes. The sandals also dry much quicker than runners/shoes would.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you are concerned about getting wet, then overshoes are a good way to go.
    I wore these over my summer shoes this morning and my toes were nice and toasty. They work very well in the rain.

http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have bought every type of overshoe known to man at this stage and I have yet to find one that will remain waterproof once it really starts bucketing down and the soles of your feet start to get soaked from the spray from the road (even the most waterproof usually leak through the cleat into the shoe...

I find Pearl Izumi Neopropene stuff pretty decent, basically they are a wetsuit for your feet, will still leak through the cleat a wee bit in heavy weather, but still keep you relativley warm, of course there are some days when you are going to be cold no matter what.

Suck it up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i use sealskins for mtbing! but for commuting use overshoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Raam wrote: »
    If you are concerned about getting wet, then overshoes are a good way to go.
    I wore these over my summer shoes this morning and my toes were nice and toasty. They work very well in the rain.

http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275

I second these. Excellent value for money too. Warm and dry, perfect!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

cycling through georgia at the moment and have to cycle through snow and there are days when my toes calw up form the cold.
    what weve found best are the neoprene overshoes, the 2 lads seem to fare better in those then my fleece lined plastic ones. going to try and find a bike shop in tbilisi and get myself a pair.
    also taking out the insole and duck taping over the cleat helps a bit with the leaking. duck taping over the vents in the cycling shoes can also be helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Conor,

FYI, when I click on the hyperlink in your sig (using Firefox) I am getting

Directory Listing Denied
    This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use BBB Waterflex Overshoes which you can get in most bike shops. I find them exceedingly effective- have experience cycling up to 50km with these in the rain (not bucketing mind) and feet were perfectly dry. Shorter distances in bucketing rain and feet remain fine.

Joe Daly's have them for €23 or so which is a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

cgf,

yea man sorry aout that, seems the site being targeted by hackers constantly at the moment-have no idea why they do this but they seem to get their kicks off it.one of friends back home is trying to get it back up and running but he doesnt seem too hopeful.

we also have a shorter blog runnning on our bebo site
    biketobeijing2008.bebo.com which unfortunately is the best we can amanage at the moment, hopefully the site will be sorted soon.

thanks for the interest
    conor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    even the most waterproof usually leak through the cleat into the shoe...
    Thats what I thought, and was looking for some without cleat holes.

I was also thinking of getting a pair of diving booties, some of them have soles on them.

If you dont mind the cold you could wear sandles in the rain.

I have sealskinz socks but your shoes are still wet, and it is a pain to dry some shoes out.

My old man used to have something like these for gardening
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Black-Stretch-Lite-Overshoe-Medium_W0QQitemZ130187610576QQihZ003QQcategoryZ109674QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AKA galoshes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galosh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

rubadub wrote: »
    If you dont mind the cold you could wear sandles in the rain.
    This is what I do maybe mid March-November but it is certainly too cold for this to be workable at the moment ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

To follow up on this, I bought the sealskinz socks at the weekend. They kept my feet dry on Monday (untill I crashed - see insurance thread) but not warm. Gonna order some of the neopreme overshoes this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Raam wrote: »

can't vouch for the brand, but the neoprene overshoes are your only man. Won't keep your feet dry, but warm. As warm as you'll need. Not as much use in dry / cold combo afair. But 100% for wet days. Maybe combo with the socks would keep you warm and dry. But tbh if you're cycling in this ****e you're prob not worried about the wet - just the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A follow up on the Endura overshoes, my ones have been ripped for ages near the back of the heel where there is a join between two materials. The stitching has come apart. Someone else on CRC reported the same fault with theirs, so they might not be as robust as other brands.

Advertisement