Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Heavy Metal is 40!

• 05-01-2008 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The short version

Cream released Disraeli Gears, Hendrix Axis:Bold as Love, Led Zeppelin formed in 1968 out of the Yardbirds, Earth became Black Sabbath as Tony Iommi discovered "the Riff", and Roundabout stopped spinning to become Deep Purple. In the states Iron Butterfly released In A Gadda Da Vida which took elements of Cream and Arthur Lees' Love simplifying the formula while turning up the volume. Blue Cheer released Vincebus Eruptum. And metal was born.

Discuss! :)

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I would say the egg was fertilised at this stage, rock is still in the throes of psychadelia, feeling groovy and flower power. In !969 things really get moving as the feeling groovy mood turns sour. Also notably as well as metal, punk is starting too with MC5 and Stooges rocking out of Detroit. By 1970 metal has learnt to get up on its hind legs, grows horns and rules the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Simple fact is u listen to any of them albums today and they all sound like they could've been released today, nearly 40 yrs on and they still sound fresh. most of todays albums sound old by the time they've reached the shelves, same old formula. Personally Axis is just soooo ............. hmmmmm i'm unable to this of the words to describe how good it is, must have another listen just to remind myself as for led zep well are they coming to slane are they huh huh huh ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

13th of February 2010 is the date ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

black_sabbath_1970_self_titled.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Damn straight :D

The ingredients were there in the late 60's but it wasn't until that album came out that the true template for Heavy Metal, as we know it, really came into existence in my opinion. Zep, Hendrix et al were still doing a heavy blues, it was Iommi who really brought the chugging riff and the tritone to the masses.

Gotta add an honourable mention to The Who, who in a live format at least, were getting deliciously heavy by the end of 1970.

• Advertisement
Advertisement