Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disposable dogs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

that so sad and WEIRD ..... wtf ... the longer you have something the more attached you think you would be ... one guy talking about his new carpet or something ! :eek: !!!!!
    a old dog is housetrained etc ,. dont see the prob
    my 14 yr old dog died last year, & ( this might sound awful) but i missed it X 10 more than my grandad that died a few weeks before :(
    for anyone who thinks i awful for mourning a animal more that a person , i couldnt help the way i feel ... i thinks its only natural to miss the dog you live with and you ve had every day for the past 14 years then the grandad you visit maybe every few weeks ...

to get rid of something the minute its old and worn ,,, they must be very cruel esp the one that just abandon rather they leave to shelter
    something you ve had for 10 years .. you are going to let starve to death ? be attacked and messed around with by cruel teenagers ... hit by cars .. get sick ..

cant understand people like that , if they can do that to a dog they had for 10 years .. call me mad , but it makes me thinks what type of parents/husbands/wives they are ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It's a trend I am long aware of. Even 8 years ago when an old farmer came to me in his banged up car with a FOURTEEN year old collie cowering in the boot. He wanted to swap her for a pup...

I took the bitch and gave him an earful which included that I hope his kids would dump him at an old folks home when he became *good for nothing*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

EGAR wrote: »
    gave him an earful which included that I hope his kids would dump him at an old folks home when he became *good for nothing*.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

It was so upsetting to watch that news report, the poor dogs looks terrified, especially the terrier cross that was lying in his basket....... You really wish you could do more but I don't have enough room, or have enough time, to take in any more foster dogs.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why does that link open up some awful-looking soap opera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why does that link open up some awful-looking soap opera?

It works for me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Makes me sick
    I hate people trying to dump on their dog that's old - they don't stand a chance.
    Personally I prefer the older dogs but people can't see past the age.

The excuses are often pathetic - we got the garden done - new floors - blah blah.

What you wouldn't love to do to them
    Sarah - love your comment to the oul fella :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I saw that too, the poor dogs, they were all so gorgeous as well, hopefully they might get homes now after millions of people seeing them! I suppose they are the lucky ones in that they are in a shelter where they are safe and well looked after, how many more are just abandoned and left to fend for themselves. :(

IMO theres not really an excuse for getting rid of a pet, moving, having a baby etc. I would never give up my dog just to move somewhere. as for giving up a dog for getting the house done up, it's not suprising, but still, what kind of idiot gets rid of a dog after 10 yrs of whatever because of a new carpet/furniture. It's probably just a lame excuse for not wanting the dog anymore I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

A different view from the other side of the world
    TOKYO (Reuters) - Hoping to send the message that pets are life-long partners not disposable accessories, a Japanese maker of medicines for animals has begun giving employees who own dogs or cats a monthly "family allowance" for their pets. ...... (more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Maybe "disposing" of an unwanted dog is just made too easy.

Look at the language even: you leave your dog with the dog warden in the dog pound to be either re-homed / rescued or harmlessly "put to sleep" ...when in fact you are throwing it away, quietly hoping that some sentimental dufus will take pity and take it home ...all the while accepting that it will probably be killed within a few days.

Sometimes I wonder what happens with all the dead bodies?
    According to the last official pound statistics 14600 dogs were killed in one year ...on average that's 280 per week ...in my reckoning about enough to fill a dumper truck to the brim.

Maybe someone should collect the evidence of the weekly cull and dump a truckload of dead dogs right in the middle of a different town every week.

280 dead dogs in the middle of O'Connel Bridge / St. Patricks Parade / Eyre Square ...would that wake people up?

• Advertisement

well theres dogs advertised on that dublin waste site sometimes, just says it all about how dogs are looked on in this country! waste! even look at the amount of animals found in bins etc. like the poor little pup that was left in a bottle bank here in wexford. they aren't treated like living creatures, just like rubbish that can be thrown away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

It makes me soooo mad :mad: Some of the people in Ireland today are just fat and selfish! They just think of themselves, they need to wake up and take note that they can't take it with them when they die.

agreed. everything is just about money now it seems, even the countryside is being destroyed with all the mansions and roads.....I think we may have been better off if the celtic tiger went somewhere else! at least we'd still have a decent countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's just evil. While I was watching the report one of my dogs was sniffing at my laptop trying to figure out where the crying dogs were and it was such a contrast to the images on screen. When he himself was an unwanted dog a little under a year ago, though at least for his sake his old people kept him til they found him a new home, so he had only one transition to make.

A dog is one of the family, even if it isn't to the owner it certainly is to the dog. The thought of one of my guys lost and alone, wandering the streets, in a kennel or about to be put down is heartbreaking to me. I can't understand how somebody would do this.

It does drive me crazy at this time of year when I see all the obvious "christmas" puppies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dizzydub

People don't give getting a dog enough thought. That's the whole problem. My dog is 7 months old and I rescued him from the DSPCA a month ago. He'd been rehomed and returned TWICE!!! The second family had him a month and couldn't cope with his separation anxiety and chewing but couldn't be arsed getting him trained. It infuriates me so much:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

I'm horrified. That is disgusting. What kind of society do we live in ? :mad:

And people have the cheek to tell me that "English people" (I am Irish but have a UK accent) are completely mad about their animals and too soft on them ( I have 2 well behaved - if excitable - puppies..) ..

This comment from a man who laughed at me because I wanted collars with snap closures not buckles for safety reasons..He keeps his dogs (black Labs) in a 12ft x 12ft run 24/7.. which is fine but there are 6 of them in it and it is never cleaned and the dogs all have running eyes, sores etc.. He was lecturing (a very non-attentive audience in my local feed shop) about how his 11yo bitch was to be put down as she won't carry a litter any more (Puppy Farmer ?)... Shop owner got aggravated, threatened to call the ISPCA & Police.. she now owns the lovely bitch. ISPCA have told him to clean up his act and he signed over 4 of the worst dogs.

I'd rather be considered mad than be one of the disgusting people who abandon their long term family pets because of a new carpet..

Bx

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

:confused:have just come across this thread and watched the clip how can people be so cruel !! i just don't understand how you can have a dog live with you day in day out for all those years and then give it away .those poor dogs so trusting , let down by their "carers"but i suppose the dogs featured in the clip are the lucky ones how many more are just abandoned scrounging for food and a little love .i have to go now tears are streaming down my face and i have to collect my children from school .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My pups went to their new homes on saturday and I haven't stopped crying since. I'm in bits and I only had them 2 months I can't understand how anyone can do it after so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

"Maybe someone should collect the evidence of the weekly cull and dump a truckload of dead dogs right in the middle of a different town every week.

280 dead dogs in the middle of O'Connel Bridge / St. Patricks Parade / Eyre Square ...would that wake "
    Peasant, that's a bloody good idea, let people see the result of their actions or inactions as the case might be.
    Don't neuter your dogs, okay this is what happens to all the pups you don't want, think a stupid new carpet is more important that a loyal loving family member? Here, look at your dog now. Can't be arsed training your dog, okay here's his corpse, because nobody else wanted an untrained animal either.
    It's disgusting to think people can be so heartless. They must know what happens to these poor animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They do know, but they pretend not to. "Oh I thought he was going to a good home" etc - microchipping by law I think is the way to go. Although that wont solve the problem of unwanted puppies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I feel so sorry for those poor animals. How humans can treat their canine companions is totally beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Why, why, why would you dump an older dog? Not for diamonds would I part with my old friend :mad:

Advertisement