Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi Drivers and indicators

Options
  • 05-01-2008 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

I got a Taxi the other nght with my gf and the roads were not too busy but a few cars on it all the same. Anyways this taxidriver didn't use his indicators once, he was changing lanes going right ,left you name it. He was beeped at one stage. Not saying every taxi driver is the same mind you but i find peoples lack of cop on to use their indicators on the road is shocking :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

didn't you know that taxi men can just turn, stop and pull in anywhere they want without letting any of us know?

but don't dare accidentally end up in their bus lane whatever you do

grrr...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

or like when ur behind taxi drivers and they just pull in and put on their hazards....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

of course taxi drivers are allowed to do what ever they want - indicators..what are they? Courtesy on the road.... whats courtesy? Bringing a whole city to a standstill so they can pick someone up/drop someone off...grand!

One really annoying one I notice (in Dublin) is as you approach the O'Connell Street junction at Bachelors wall (ie) heading up the quays with the Liffey on your right, at the lights there are 3 lanes - the right hand one to go right across the bridge or straight on, middle to go straight on, and left hand lane to go left up O Connell Street only. Taxi drivers feel the are perfectly entitled to use the left hand lane if they are going straight on. They then need to force their way in front of the traffic that is going straight on from the middle lane (of course without indication). Grrr.. You aint getting in front of me Mr Taxi Driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TheBazman wrote: »
    Grrr.. You aint getting in front of me Mr Taxi Driver

I can never understand that stupid attitude.

You think a taxi driver care's if you let him in or not?. The only one your putting out there is his fare in the cab, not the driver!.

Furthermore the vast majority of taxi drivers on that junction moving on straight will have done so because they've picked up a fare from very near the junction and its impossible to cross into the correct lane because some idiot thinks its cool to block him, so its forced to make this illegal move.

As regards using indicators correctly, I think each and every one of us on this forum will be guilty of incorrect use of indicators at some stage, plus a host of other minor driving mistakes.

And as regards pulling over suddenly, I bet your glad of it at 3am on a Saturday night/morning when the driver decides your the one he's taking instead of the other 100 people looking for a cab on the same street!.

Its annoying, but bad manners happen. Have a little more tolerance and take the strain out of your own driving and leave other's to their's.

Btw OP, if you felt in danger at any time you should have asked the driver to drive in a safer manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    I can never understand that stupid attitude
    I have to agree with Mairt. I cannot understand that mentality either. People complain about what they percieve as lack of courtesy and then do something which is worse.

A taxi driver doesn't pull up on the street for the good of his health. It's usually at the behest of a passenger or potential passenger.

• Advertisement

Ok I am guilty of tarring all taxi drivers with the same brush which I shouldn't. However I would consider myself a fairly observant and courteous driver in general. If a taxi driver does have to pull in to pick up a fare, then indicates, pulls out and waits for someone to let him in - absolutely no problem (this would be my view for a taxi driver or not). However the case I am highlighting is the one where I can see a taxi driver just use that lane to avoid waiting in traffic - its not a last minute decision, he knows he is going straight on

As as trying to be "cool" by stopping him - you are wrong. The intention is that maybe the penny will drop that you cant take it for granted that you will get in easily every time. He might just think the next time that hey it was difficult getting back in lane the last time I tried that illegal manoevre, perhaps I'll do it legally this time

Finally as regards indicators etc - it is my view (and I do a lot of miles on the road) that it is pretty consistent that taxis are guilty most often of not using correct indication, stopping in the middle of 2 lanes at red traffic lights etc. Of course as you say most people will be guilty of some minor offenses from time to time but not to the degree of the taxi driver

Anyway just to clarify this is my view/experience - if what I say is not the view/experience of most others that's fine - maybe I am just in the minority

As as trying to be "cool" by stopping him - you are wrong. The intention is that maybe the penny will drop that you cant take it for granted that you will get in easily every time. He might just think the next time that hey it was difficult getting back in lane the last time I tried that illegal manoevre, perhaps I'll do it legally this time

Its not your job to teach other road user's lessons like this, its both arrogance and dangerous on your behalf. Two wrong not making a right and all that stuff..
    Finally as regards indicators etc - it is my view (and I do a lot of miles on the road) that it is pretty consistent that taxis are guilty most often of not using correct indication, stopping in the middle of 2 lanes at red traffic lights etc. Of course as you say most people will be guilty of some minor offenses from time to time but not to the degree of the taxi driver
    Anyway just to clarify this is my view/experience - if what I say is not the view/experience of most others that's fine - maybe I am just in the minority

But call taxi drivers rip-off merchants, criminals, worse drivers (apart from the wimmins ;) ) smelly, stupid, ignorant fvckers, hunch backs etc and most people will agree with you. Taxi drivers are easy targets.

I'm not looking for people to agree with me - I'm just giving my view.

Yeah its not my job to teach others on the road the rules however I probably will continue to do this, no different than if I did something stupid on the road I'm sure someone would honk the horn at me. I would imagine that this would discourage me from doing this again. If I am behind someone on a motorway that has their rear fog lights on I might give them a quick flash of mine when I pass to encourage them to turn theirs off. Its not my job but I will prob continue doing it.

Anyway look we can go on here over and back til eternity- people have different views and we dont want to flog this to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mairt wrote: »
    Its not your job to teach other road user's lessons like this, its both arrogance and dangerous on your behalf. Two wrong not making a right and all that stuff...
    And all what stuff? If that's the whole base of your argument then frankly I'm not convinced. You're suggesting we should all just let these bully boys do as they deem fit. I wouldn't single out Taxi drivers, it's far more widespread than that but they do have some very bad habits like the ones mentioned.

When they bother using the ROTR and common courtesy then drivers will respond in similar fashion, but if they just do as they please they won't get any favours from me. In all fairness, there is a bigger responsibility on PSV drivers to show the rest of us how it's done, if they can't be arsed why should anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The trouble is "over generalisation" it's so easy to see someone make a mistake ( deliberate or otherwise ), see a taxi sign and say ALL taxi drivers do this or that, much the same as there is a misnomer that all BMW drivers are total w*****s, and all Jap Import Altezzas are driven by skangers etc.

The answer is if you see dangerous driving of buses, taxis, private cars (whatever) then report it to the Gards and let them deal with it.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    You're suggesting we should all just let these bully boys do as they deem fit.

Add bully boys to my description above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Spook_ie wrote: »
    The trouble is "over generalisation" it's so easy to see someone make a mistake ( deliberate or otherwise ), see a taxi sign and say ALL taxi drivers do this or that, much the same as there is a misnomer that all BMW drivers are total w*****s, and all Jap Import Altezzas are driven by skangers etc.
    Probably true half the time, but there's no smoke without fire. Seems you can't say anything bad about a particular demographic without someone taking exception. I'm open to anyone smashing a stereotype, but more often than not you'll find you are shooting yourself in the foot because for every decent taxi driver with common road courtesy, there are just as many who don't give a toss. Likewise with beemer drivers, boyracers and the rest.

Advertisement