Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Costs

Options
  • 05-01-2008 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Apart from accommodation costs and sundry expenses, how much does it cost to go to college?
    Is there just a once of registration fee to be payed to the college? I never understood how much you have to pay and I get mixed reactions from people like "Oh it costs about €9000" "I think it only costs €400".

Sorry if this seems a stupid question but I'm sure the answer is simple enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I know DIT Aungier St is €800 (a mate goes there) and he said for a foreign person to go there its a couple of thousand. So I'd say it's roughly the same in most colleges (don't quote me on this, just a guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I know DIT Aungier St is €800 (a mate goes there) and he said for a foreign person to go there its a couple of thousand. So I'd say it's roughly the same in most colleges (don't quote me on this, just a guess).
    €800 per year or a once-off fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Multiple things to consider like course, college, whether or not you are eligible for the grant but if you take Science in NUIG with no grant, it costs €6665 but if you get the grant it would cost €1045 maybe less, I dunno!

This is per year and expect costs to rise slightly on a yearly basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Whatever happened to free fees? o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

There is alot of nonsense talk in this thread.

My advice for the OP is to be weary of all information given in this thread, but to the best of my knowledge:

For irish citizens to all normal colleges ucd/tcd/dcu/ucc/ucg and all the ITS
    there is a registration fee every year of roughly €800 it varies though and may be more around the 700 mark give or take 100 or so.
    It depends on lots of factors, college course etc.
    There is also a general fee which varies in the region of 4k-6k Irish students do not have to pay this! They do have to pay however if they repeat a year or drop out after the dec31st deadline . If they repeate 1st year they must pay 1st year fees but will then get other year fees for free.

Put simply the majority of irish students in college will pay around 800euro a year.
    The government pays the rest.

There are of course other costs: Accommodation, food drink,drugs etc.

I am sorry for the rediculous use of english I am a bit drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I think it cost me 850 up in Dundalk. My friend was late so he had to pay 150 extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

NUI Maynooth is €895 which you pay every year. If you are on a grant then its €65.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

awww.. i dont like this system :( although its kind of make sense.. for me its going to cost about 5 grant per year.. to be honest that is quite hard to come up with for student this days :( it really makes me sad to see all of those young irish people who dont give a damn about third level education and just waste their chances, while some people dream for a whole life for this moment and dont have a chance :( eh..

anyway, does anybody know if u get a grant is it only for one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

If you're from the EU, I don't think you'll have to pay the full 5k. Not sure though. It's €863 for DCU per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

On a scholarship this year, registration fees were 219 for me at NUIG but the full fee this year was I think around 900. It was this high this year because of the new swimming pool/sports hall we're getting in.

There were various other additional things like lab coat (I got this for free, but its normally 40 euros), registration for labs was 10 euros (x3 per science subject) but this was the cost of the hand book and various other things.

In total I've payed about 375 euros bearing in mind I got the schol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    On a scholarship this year, registration fees were 219 for me at NUIG but the full fee this year was I think around 900. It was this high this year because of the new swimming pool/sports hall we're getting in.

There were various other additional things like lab coat (I got this for free, but its normally 40 euros), registration for labs was 10 euros (x3 per science subject) but this was the cost of the hand book and various other things.

In total I've payed about 375 euros bearing in mind I got the schol.
    Lucky! Everyone has to pay the €219 student levy and then €825 unless eligible for grant. This new sports hall better be good! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yuugib wrote: »
    awww.. i dont like this system :( although its kind of make sense.. for me its going to cost about 5 grant per year.. to be honest that is quite hard to come up with for student this days :( it really makes me sad to see all of those young irish people who dont give a damn about third level education and just waste their chances, while some people dream for a whole life for this moment and dont have a chance :( eh..

anyway, does anybody know if u get a grant is it only for one year?

the grant will be given to you for every year of your course but if you repeat a year you will lose the grant for that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

It costs about €6k or €7k a year for a student to move away from home.

Registration fee - €900
    Accommodation - €4000
    Living exp - €1,500 +
    Transport - €300

Some of my mates are on grants and getting €6k or so a year. Almost all students cannot afford it on their own and most of their parents pay for everything and the students get a job to feed their drinking habits :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Parents/government you mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

It costs me altogetheer around €1200 a month not including leisure, going out etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

There is alot of nonsense talk in this thread.

My advice for the OP is to be weary of all information given in this thread, but to the best of my knowledge:

For irish citizens to all normal colleges ucd/tcd/dcu/ucc/ucg and all the ITS
    there is a registration fee every year of roughly €800 it varies though and may be more around the 700 mark give or take 100 or so.
    It depends on lots of factors, college course etc.
    There is also a general fee which varies in the region of 4k-6k Irish students do not have to pay this! They do have to pay however if they repeat a year or drop out after the dec31st deadline . If they repeate 1st year they must pay 1st year fees but will then get other year fees for free.

Put simply the majority of irish students in college will pay around 800euro a year.
    The government pays the rest.

There are of course other costs: Accommodation, food drink,drugs etc.

I am sorry for the rediculous use of english I am a bit drunk.
    Ah that explains it thank you

In the UCC book it said €4000 for irish students but that must be for repeats

You didnt meantion UL but you meant that aswell yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Oh yeeey! If the grant really is for every year then college heeereee i come ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ah that explains it thank you

In the UCC book it said €4000 for irish students but that must be for repeats

You didnt meantion UL but you meant that aswell yes?

UL would be included in that. There are no college fees for Irish students for any third level college, only the registration fee which has a ballpark figure of €700-800 which must be paid every year. You only have to pay fees if you repeat a year.

Grants are means tested and not all students are eligible for them. If you are eligible for the grant your registration fee will also be paid.

Grant/College fees information from Dept of Education website:

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=10900&ecategory=19277&language=EN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Note: The Grants system is tiered based on income obviously. Reg fee refund is only if you get a full grant but you get a % refund for lower grants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Well I know in TCD you pay 800 (think its 880 actually) euro every september which covers student union, registration etc.. and I think a huge chunk of it goes towards a sports centre/gym which you have acces to.
    I think its similar in other colleges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement