Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trout in the canal

Options
  • 05-01-2008 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

hello.

i love fishing but have not done it in a few years.
    i used to spend every other weekend on trout lakes when i was younger.

I have just collected my fly rod and all my tackle from me mas up north.

I now live in sallins near nass. 300 yrds away is the cannal.

Is there any point bringing my fly rod and trout fly and lures down there??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

bump:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I used to have gread craic on canals with my fly rod fishing for perch, big bright lures stripped real fast trough the water.
    as for your other question, no there are no trout in the canals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I have fished small nymphs for rudd in the canals, in the past with some results.
    But using flashy reservoir type lures on a kevlar or wire hook link could get you hooked into a decent pike or two.

will give it a go.

guess i need new tackle.

thanks lads;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The canal at sallins is fishing very poorly lately,i supect its because of illegal netting.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    The canal at sallins is fishing very poorly lately,i supect its because of illegal netting.

What about that big lake near blessinton or the river near sallins.

can I fish them from trout?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

gsxr1 wrote: »
    What about that big lake near blessinton or the river near sallins.

can I fish them from trout?

Blessington lake is good for trout,you will need a permit though.

Degsy wrote: »
    Blessington lake is good for trout,you will need a permit though.

do tackle shops sell them.

sorry about all the questions ....

green as the grass, i am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

gsxr1 wrote: »
    do tackle shops sell them.

sorry about all the questions ....

green as the grass, i am

You can get them in the Texaco garage on the left just outside blessington heading towards the lake, also in the hotel on the left in the centre of the town.(all the times i was in there and i forget the name :D )
    I got it... The Downshire house :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

The grand canal past sallins where the aquaduct is and ther little wide spot was the first place i ever fished 25 years ago and my first fish I ever caught from that spot was a brown trout of about a 1 1/2lb.....
    I have fished it every year sionce and most stretches and never seen another trout - I've had tench bream even carp never another trout....so where did this lad come from.. welll either someone put it in from the river liffey a hundred yards away or about two miles towards naas there is an old mill thing beside a stratch of the canal and a little river that sometimes over flows into the canal... the cfb did a electro fishing thing there years ago and found a few trout in that spot
    there are one or two other spots where there have been some big trout up to 5lb caught on the grand nearer to dublin...but in 25 yrs of fishing it for coarse fish and catching only one trout I wouldn't bother my arse mate.

why not try corkagh park - easy fishing for rainbow trout two well into double figures anmd a great place if you want an easy days fishing....There is a carp lake to with fish to mid doubles but they have not been caught - I have record at 12lb.8oz and that was nearly 3 yrs ago - so I would expect some big one to turn up this year...I have seen bigger in there....thjere are also a few big bream from lough ennel and owel stocked to doubles and tench to 6lb

ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You could try Rathcon Fly Fishing Lake, Grangecon, Co. Wicklow. Tel: 045 403173/ 086 8140546 , straight down the N9 from Naas/Sallins.

www.rathcon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

You could look at joining North Kildare Angling club they have rights down as far as millicent bridge on the liffey. There are some cracking trout there. Roll on the 1st March till I get back at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iascanmore

North Kildare was closed last year to new members, I suspect that it'll be the same this year. Should find out when annual newsletter goes out.

Not wrong though - roll on 1st March!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Iascanmore, Was it I thought they just stopped selling the permits through the shops. I met a few foreign lads who told me they were new members. Had the badges,

Advertisement