Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Gear box gave up!

Options
  • 05-01-2008 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hey

Just looking for a bit of advice. Did this ever happen to anyone out there?

How much is it to get fixed i just dumped the car with the mechanic. I heard it is expensive to fix :confused:

The car is a Fiat Bravo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=32273

"second hand gearbox will cost aprox £100 to £300 from a scrap yard"

Try a scrapyard first you might find a good bargain. Gearbox might be cheap but the mechanic won't be cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

is it a 16v or an 8v?
    if its an 8v then the gearbox from most common punto's will fit in it. most breakers will charge you around 250 for the used box., if you get the job done for near 400 then you'll be doing alright., also are you sure its the gearbox and not just the clutch? you didnt give any details.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

it is the 16V unfortunately

I was going up a hill dropped it a gear and there was nothing there then i tried 2nd and again nothing lost all forward gears but i had a very noisy reverse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Selector fork?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

you will find it very hard to get a good 16v box there hard to come by these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How old is the car and what mileage is on it?.

Reason I ask is I got Fiat Ireland to agree to reimburst me the cost of replacing my otherhalfs Bravo gearbox out of warrenty as it only had just over 35 thou miles.

I can't remember if it was a 16v or 8v. But I got a recondioned gearbox supplied and fitted for €350, but that was a couple of year's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

just sold a 00 punto with 43000 on it for 800 euro and bought a 99 saxo with 53000 miles on it for 1500 euro, fiats are a load of rubbish, it broke my heart and i had it since new, so get rid of it :o

To be honest the car never gave me trouble this is the first thing that had gone wrong and since i got it and i have put 30000 miles on it. The person who i bought it off is a good mate and he never did anything major to it. he had it for about 20000 miles

00 reg northern car org. 1.2 16V sx80 model

There is just over 81000 miles on it!

Once i get this fixed it is up for sale, after a Skoda Octavia now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

cranoo wrote: »
    just sold a 00 punto with 43000 on it for 800 euro and bought a 99 saxo with 53000 miles on it for 1500 euro, fiats are a load of rubbish, it broke my heart and i had it since new, so get rid of it :o

true, fiats arnt the best in the world but you bought a saxo instead?.,,rofl:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

diffs, selector forks and syncros go regularly on the 1.2 16v gearbox. because of that there are none around. took me 3 weeks to find one 5 years ago, so things are likely to be worse now.
    Scrap it, you can get another Bravo (if that's what you like) for the price of a fitted gearbox,

• Advertisement

All sorted

Just under €800 for new Clutch, Gear Box, Brake shoes and brake pads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

miceal wrote: »
    All sorted

Just under €800 for new Clutch, Gear Box, Brake shoes and brake pads

That was a bargain - are you going to tell us where you got it done?

Advertisement