Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Garda Siochana

• 05-01-2008 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I have being trying to find out some information on An Garda Siochana as i wish to apply for them asap.

I am able to get access what they say as the official site, however when i try to connect to apply for the normal day to day garda, it wont let me, it tells me to try www.garda.ie. When i do i get nowhere. I am not interested in the reserves.

I have a few questions as i'm in a little delimma.....
    I wonder if anyone can answer these.

The thread is quite long as i have some additional information copied......

Are the educational requirements for the Garda Reserve the same for the Garda???????

This is what the site tells me about the reserves....

What are the educational requirements ?

Candidate must have obtained, in the Leaving Certificate Examination: (a) A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and

(b) A qualifying grade in two languages, one of which must be English or Irish, as follows: English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level, Irish : a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level, Other language : a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and

(c) A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than two other subjects

Or

The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate,

Or

Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality& Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

Or

A former member who, on retirement, received an 'exemplary', 'very good' or 'good' discharge from the Garda Síochána is deemed to meet the requirements.

or

The Garda Commissioner may exempt a person from meeting these requirements if satisfied that the person has personal attributes which otherwise render him or her suitable to be admitted as a reserve trainee. (This only occurs in exceptional circumstances).

I'm trying to find out what exacatly does this sentence tell me because I am in my final year in college and I really wish to apply for the Garda even though it will be a complete career change. I've only told one person so far that this is what i want to do, I know i have to finish what i'm doing and i may even apply for a higher degree as i know the interview process can take up to 6 mths....

I failed my Leaving Cert Maths.........
    However, because i did a certificate course in one of the IT's over 2 years i could then progress in to one of the management courses..
    I wonder if the Maths that i do for my degree with substitute for the leaving cert maths...........??????????????????????????????????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I can't answer your other questions, but if you want to apply to the Gardai, you have to apply through publicjobs.ie (and I'm sure there's another way... but not garda.ie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

oh i have tryed that... however when it comes to submitting the application it shows 'java' its a picture that i think represents something like downloading.... but i never seem to get any futher... I was thinking of contacting the Headquater directly by telephone, but i'm not sure they would give me the time of day??
    Anyways, thanks for your quick reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Tbh,I do not think they will take you without the maths...they have to be quite stringent in the selection process because so many apply.But I cannot be sure at the same time..

You want my advice,here it is..

a)e-mail the Garda Press Office with your enquiries
    b)go into your local station and tell them you are interested in joining,they should be able to help and someone will probably talk with you about it(if they are not busy!)

I used option a) 2 years ago at the tender age of 15,and I know a good lot of info now...so e-mail them with your concerns or ring them(either the Garda College or PR section)

here are some useful pages;
    http://www.garda.ie/faq.html#R1
    http://www.garda.ie/recruit.html
    http://www.garda.ie/email.html
    http://www.garda.ie/hq/pro.html
    http://www.publicjobs.ie (you MUST register with them and then you apply online)

E-mail them is a good option.... thank you.

However,

Degree level Maths obvioulsy must be at a higher standard as Leaving cert maths... ANYWAYS oh who's.... all i can do is try!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Good luck mate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Good luck and you must apply through the publicjobs site www.publicjobs.ie You have to register with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

fairly sure they wont except u without the maths,tbh i reckon that if u went a redid the maths the interview board would totally love you,shows dedication hard work...good luck great job good carrer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, because of the relatively large number of applicants, they tend not to go out of their way to exempt people without very good reason. What you could do is apply to sit foundation leaving cert maths this June (if you still can). Unless you have dyscalculia, it should be a piece of cake and then you're eligible. You don't have to get the grades all at the same sitting.

Thanks for your replies.... I don't have Dyslexia, at the time i was sitting my Leaving Cert it was a combination of a really bad teacher and i suppose lack of study in that particular subject. Like i said i have progressed alot since then. I am to finish my degree within the 6 months.
    I'll try to keep ye posted on my progress!

Thanks

Wildirishrose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I think they are minimum requirements and your degree could out weigh the leaving cert not 100% might be worth a go though

• Advertisement

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    I think they are minimum requirements and your degree could out weigh the leaving cert not 100% might be worth a go though

That would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AaronFitz10

Hi I am new to boards.ie I am not sure how it works but i really need help with finding out something, i really want to be a guard i have all the educational requirements apart from a second language. I got a b1 in English and a b3 in Irish for the leaving cert but I think I need another one E.g french.
    Could someone please help me thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

We have an entire forum set up for people to ask all manner of questions regarding the recruitment of Gardaí. Before you even visit the forum, I strongly suggest you read the forum FAQ because I suspect you may ask a lot of questions which are already answered in the forum.

When you have read the FAQ, feel free to browse the forum itself.

Since the last reply on this thread before yours was over 3 years ago, I'm closing this thread, and would direct you to the Garda Recruitment forum from this point on for all questions related to same.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement