Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

quick question on merging lanes

Options
  • 05-01-2008 6:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

I was driving in the left hand lane on a two lane (same directional flow) road. These two lanes then merged into one.

As I was merging I was beeped at by an irate driver as I was merging from the left. Now two things here:

1: I merged naturally, didn't just try and push my way in.
    2: His cars front bumper was only just past by rear bumper and therefore her car was well behind mine.

This actually happened to me twice today in 2 different parts of the city. So could someone here just confirm I'm not going mad and I was actually correct as I'm inclined to imagine there were both drivers in a "hurry" and didn't want someone getting in front of them and tried to bully they're way ahead while merging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

As far as i know you are 100%, because you were driving following the natural flow of the road, as were they, but because driving we have to keep left they have to get into your lane, rather than you getting into theirs. Kinda like the same way you merge on a 2+1 road. I know in your case the right lane mite not have been an overtaking lane, but the same principle applies.

Or at least that is what i would assume anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

miju wrote: »
    I was driving in the left hand lane on a two lane (same directional flow) road. These two lanes then merged into one.

As I was merging I was beeped at by an irate driver as I was merging from the left. Now two things here:

1: I merged naturally, didn't just try and push my way in.
    2: His cars front bumper was only just past by rear bumper and therefore her car was well behind mine.

This actually happened to me twice today in 2 different parts of the city. So could someone here just confirm I'm not going mad and I was actually correct as I'm inclined to imagine there were both drivers in a "hurry" and didn't want someone getting in front of them and tried to bully they're way ahead while merging.

Common courtsey should prevail here, 1 from each lane alternatly, but then again they would not be able to make up that ohhhh so important 1 car space, put a set of ram bars on the front of you car like the cops in america have and give them a little kiss on the rear bumper next time they act the ejit.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was driving in the left hand lane on a two lane (same directional flow) road. These two lanes then merged into one
    Was there any signage indicating priority. In some situations like that, the right lane has priority......although common courtesy usually applies anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Was there any signage indicating priority. In some situations like that, the right lane has priority......although common courtesy usually applies anyway.

I was about to write the same thing.

It happens to me alot on the Phibsboro rd as your approaching the main junction. Other common places or this to happen is on the M50/Blanchardstown and M50/M1 (approaching the airport from the N32).

Let them beep, turn on Lyric and chill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It doesn't sound like there was a big gap to merge into tbh. I'm not saying you were wrong, but that may be why they beeped at you.

It's also confusing how the driver changed sex during the sentence.......

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    It happens to me alot on the Phibsboro rd as your approaching the main junction. Other common places or this to happen is on the M50/Blanchardstown and M50/M1 (approaching the airport from the N32)
    Another example where the right hand lane has priority is at the end of the arrivals road in Dublin Airport. Both arrivals roads merge just before the end of the down ramp from departures. It is clearly signposted that the left lane must give way but many 'left laners' don't appear to be aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If the gaps not big enough then the're probably not keeping a safe distance from the driver in front.
    What often happens is the normal traffic is driving above the speed limit,so your merging at the limit looks to them as if your pulling out in front of them.
    Rule book says merging traffic should be travelling at the same speed as traffic and if so, traffic should allow you to merge.

I think this 'slow' lane identification rule which I have only ever seen in Ireland is incorrect.The right hand lane should always be the overtaking lane and where lanes merge(from a slow lane and not a slip road), right of way should be given to traffic on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Like someone else said... common courtesy. If it's not clear who has right-of-way (i.e. no yield or stop sign), and the car coming up behind is moving at a similar enough speed, then the car that's ahead should go first. I think the other person was being a muppet, quite honestly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

nope there was no signage. it was your typical start of bus lane merge type setup
    It doesn't sound like there was a big gap to merge into tbh. I'm not saying you were wrong, but that may be why they beeped at you.

It's also confusing how the driver changed sex during the sentence.......

because it happened twice to me yesterday. funnily enough there was plenty of room but looking behind me i saw the gap close very quickly thanks to the driver behind
    fricatus wrote: »
    I think the other person was being a muppet, quite honestly.

that was actually my thinking as well. the road in question is just past the traffic lights at charlestown shopping centre if anyone knows it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'd say there are 2 issues - priority and common courtesy.
    It sounds like the right lane had priority in this case (ofter indicated by a curved arrow on the lesser lane). You merged in to the righthand lane. So the other car had priority. As you say -
    "His cars front bumper was only just past by rear bumper and therefore her car was well behind mine."
    That sounds like a collision in my book so his/her/it's car was not well behind yours.
    Now assuming the other car didnt speed up as you approached the merge point (I'm guessing you would have told us if they had done this) then the onus was on you to adjust your speed to merge in to the lane well ahead of or behind the oncoming car.
    It sounds like you merged with the priority lane without doing this.
    You make no mention of using indicators or observing the other car in your mirrors/blind spots.

On the other hand, common courtesy on behalf of the other driver should leave adequate room for merging cars ahead and not close off the merging space by speeding up or continuing driving as quick as a 2 lane situation might allow (legal limits applying of course) .

Common courtesy is'nt written in to the law (AFAIK) and I was taught by my instructer that when another car has priority/right of way, if you cause them to change direction/lane/speed because of your actions then the fault lies with you.

So in short, I suspect that beep you heard may have been an impolite reminder that perhaps you need to brush up your merging technique.

If however, your lane had priority and the other driver was trying to overtake and get in to the single lane then they were definitely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

allow me to expand Wil as the orginal post was at 6am and i was just about to pop off to bed.

the reason his bumped was nearly hitting mine was because in the two different incidents yesterday both drivers sped up in some stupid attempt to try and block me from merging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Ah, you clarified as I posted (I'm not too clear at 6am myself) and from what you indicate now you were definitely not in the wrong. (the subtlety in the small detail):D

As you say both other drivers attempted to close you off by speeding up, and therefore creating a dangerous situation for everyone and are muppets of the worst order. (this time I will give you the the assumption that you werent crawling along but making good progress in accordance with the speed limits and conditions at the time).

If it was I in this situation, it is I would be blasting my horn at them and giving them a dose of brakelights and hitch (and savouring it).;)

it was your typical start of bus lane merge type setup
    Well that puts a different slant on it entirely. You didn't mention a bus lane in your original post. I presumed it was a situation where the road narrowed and two lanes became one.

The right lane would have had priority although that doesn't excuse idiots speeding up to prevent you from merging. :rolleyes:

Advertisement