Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Cranmore

Options
  • 05-01-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Guys

Just heard something about a shooting in Cranmore, what happened.
    Anyone want to update us, I will have to wait until the next news bulletin for an update

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0105/sligo.html

Wonder if its related to what's go on there before.
    Very sad for the ppl who live there.

I heard who it was.

He won't be missed. Trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

It seems to be related to a murder that took place there two years ago, and no he certainly won't be missed. He was bad to the bone, but he was possesed of an certain personal charm which he sometimes choose to use.

I expect Plod will be left scracthing his head again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gillie wrote: »
    I heard who it was.

Yep, as did I.

And agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

I heard who it was.

Heard who it was too, <SNIP>- don't know the man so cannot comment on that, feel it is unfortunate that comment like he will not be missed have to be put out in the public arena? These people do have families and also what about the 12 year old boy who was injured and had to see what happened, it is a very traumatic event for everyone involved and think it is not the right way to go - think about the young couple who got engaged on New Years Day in Sligo and were attacked by three so call men - pushed to the ground and punched, kicked and beaten! She just had a baby a few months ago and is now suffering with a fractured eye, and other physical injuries - how can this be right! I think there is no excuse for this level of violence which today ended in a man losing his life, do not know if they are related to each other but think they are not!

These people need to hang their heads in shame!

Blue Shimmering

Edit by muffler: Until the name is officially released by the Gardai we dont need names posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Blue Shimmering,

Could you possibly remove your naming of the deceased? It hasn't been confirmed (as far as i know) and is not in public knowledge yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

some of us may know, or assume it may be relaeted to events in the area in the last few years, but for sake of whoever envolved, think should avoid naming indivuadals, and making comments surounding them and the events in the forum till all facts are estabilished, even then would i be wary of doing it, am sure theres someting in the charter on this

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

There is a new rumour and name floating around the txtosphere that suggests the killing is not fued related. If previous killings in Sligo are anything to go by I expect we will never know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Heard who it was too, <SNIP>- don't know the man so cannot comment on that, feel it is unfortunate that comment like he will not be missed have to be put out in the public arena? These people do have families and also what about the 12 year old boy who was injured and had to see what happened, it is a very traumatic event for everyone involved and think it is not the right way to go - think about the young couple who got engaged on New Years Day in Sligo and were attacked by three so call men - pushed to the ground and punched, kicked and beaten! She just had a baby a few months ago and is now suffering with a fractured eye, and other physical injuries - how can this be right! I think there is no excuse for this level of violence which today ended in a man losing his life, do not know if they are related to each other but think they are not!

These people need to hang their heads in shame!

Blue Shimmering.[/I]

Have to agree with the sentiments here, it is someone son, bother, uncle etc. Yes the guy maybe a scumbag and everyother title that goes with it but remember he is someone's family.

I am not excusing what has happened, if he was shot/excuted then you live by the sword, then you die by the sword.

nanook wrote: »
    Have to agree with the sentiments here, it is someone son, bother, uncle etc. Yes the guy maybe a scumbag and everyother title that goes with it but remember he is someone's family.

I am not excusing what has happened, if he was shot/excuted then you live by the sword, then you die by the sword.
    Hi Nanook,

I wish to apologies for posting a name and then I had to go out and was not on line until now - very sorry! I heard the name mentioned on Ocean FM so thought it was in the public domain, I am from Donegal Town so do not know any of these people at all just feel it is a shame to say something like 'he will not be missed believe me' etc.... I am new online to this forum so hopefully my apology will be accepted and it will not happen again I promise!

Keep up the comments - I am really interested in seeing what others think of different issues, and to the moderators keep up the good work and I do know now with hindsight that I shouldn't have mentioned the name - really sorry!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering

• Advertisement

blue thanks for coming back to us on this,

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi Nanook,

I wish to apologies for posting a name and then I had to go out and was not on line until now - very sorry! I heard the name mentioned on Ocean FM so thought it was in the public domain, I am from Donegal Town so do not know any of these people at all just feel it is a shame to say something like 'he will not be missed believe me' etc.... I am new online to this forum so hopefully my apology will be accepted and it will not happen again I promise!

Keep up the comments - I am really interested in seeing what others think of different issues, and to the moderators keep up the good work and I do know now with hindsight that I shouldn't have mentioned the name - really sorry!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering
    Dont be apologising to nanook - he's from Leitrim :D

No harm done. You are new here and really didnt do much wrong other than post up the name of the deceased which I removed. However if it had already been given out on Ocean FM then it was probably Ok anyways but I wasnt aware of that.

A few people here knew the man in question and have expressed a personal opinion that he wouldnt be missed. While its something that some people may find offensive we dont really have a problem with anyone stating an opinion as to whether they liked the person or not. However if someone stated that they didnt like him because he was this or that or done this or that then that is a completely different matter.

Welcome to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I heard who it was. He won't be missed. Trust me!
    The glibness and arrogance of that comment has taken me aback.

Shamrok wrote: »

why, it is a personal expression. I take it that it is an educated statement and not one made liberally

As I have previously stated, some ones family member has died but you choose your own destiny in life

why, it is a personal expression. I take it that it is an educated statement and not one made liberally
    As I have previously stated, sokeones family member has died but you choose your own destiny in life
    Why? Well, I said "glib and arrogant" because the statement about him "not going to be missed" was made within twelve hours of the man dying. But even ignoring that - of course, he is going to be missed by family and friends. Saying anything different to that is absurd, in my opinion. That's my "personal expression".

A minute after the death is a safe point to say someone is not going to be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

As long as other people don't get caught up, leave them at it. It's therefore unfortunate a twelve year old should be anywhere near such an event. These recent killings at least didn't happen on a busy street like the McGinley murder.
    Will this be the fourth "unsolved" murder in the last couple of years? Makes you wonder what the Guards are doing all day (apart from stopping me for random breath tests. 8 times last year:()
    I saw the Super being interviewed and he said they had no idea if these killings are linked. Hope he was playing dumb, as I'm sure they must be privvy to the rumour mill that is Sligo town.
    Sorry for his family, but I, like most, won't miss the likes of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

il gatto wrote: »
    Sorry for his family, but I, like most, won't miss the likes of him.

I agree, Sligo could do without <SNIP>.

Edit by muffler: Just be careful with the verbals please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This might give you a clue as to why the deceased was unpopular with people.

Edit: Oops I just see the link has already been posted above.

muffler wrote: »
    This might give you a clue as to why the deceased was unpopular with people.
    Thanks for your "clue" but I knew about the deceased already.

Sorry if I offended you but I stand by what I said. Live by the sword...
    I don't have time for ppl who choose not to contribute to society and choose a life of crime.

I feel sorry for his family but not for him.

I just read the newspaper section and speaking as one who has been held up in an armed robbery with a shotgun to my face, one less is not a bad thing.

This may not be the correct way to express feelings but I know for a long time I was badly shaken by those bastards, police never got them.

There is no justification for armed robbery only than for the wrong cause.

Muffler if I have overstepped the line please edit, but I have a serious problem with this kind of thing.

I stand by my words but I still offer my respects to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The Artic Monkeys had a song title which reflects the general feeling towards him, but Im sure all his family isn't bad. Another bad story for Cranmore and the good people who live there who largly out number the undesirables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Growing up in Co. Sligo I had plenty of friends in Cranmore (not ones involved in crime I hasten to add).

Cranmore was a bad place then, but it seems to be getting worse day by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Yes, he was someones father, son, brother etc...and my heart goes out to his poor Mother and children etc.....but I have to say I don't disagree with what other posters have said. There are many people in this area who have been affected or know someone who has been affected in a negative way by this guys actions in the past...<deleted.....way too much ranting...>

I feel so sorry for that 12 year old, no kid should have to witness or be a part of something like that, but what was the 12 year olds parents thinking letting him go out hunting (or whatever they were doing) with <SNIP> in the first place?! :confused:

Mostly though, I feel sorry for the decent people of Cranmore (who are in the majority) who have had their area tarred once again, by these scumbags.

Growing up in Co. Sligo I had plenty of friends in Cranmore (not ones involved in crime I hasten to add).

Cranmore was a bad place then, but it seems to be getting worse day by day.

I agree, I have known sligo since I was 6 and that was neither yesterday or today, and Cranmore always had a reputation. A reputation for being rough and that was it, families fought and aired their problems in public. That was it. I knew a couple of families in Cranmore and they were/are salt of the earth.

My rant has noting to do with Cranmore.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Dont be apologising to nanook - he's from Leitrim :D

No harm done. You are new here and really didnt do much wrong other than post up the name of the deceased which I removed. However if it had already been given out on Ocean FM then it was probably Ok anyways but I wasnt aware of that.

A few people here knew the man in question and have expressed a personal opinion that he wouldnt be missed. While its something that some people may find offensive we dont really have a problem with anyone stating an opinion as to whether they liked the person or not. However if someone stated that they didnt like him because he was this or that or done this or that then that is a completely different matter.

Welcome to the forum.
    Hi Muffler,

No problem, when I feel I am wrong I put my hands up and admit it - it is usually the best course of action! Anyway, I am busy today just having done my first exam in Business Accountancy and think I did ok, so I am happy! I am in First Year and have Economics on Wednesday 9am, anyone have any ideas of how to remember all the formulae, eek eek I do not like economics - help!

It is a long way from the original topic but all comments would be appreciated, and I will not hold living in leitrim against Nanook its nearly as beautiful as Donegal! The people are so genuine, I think and it is a pity it has been split for the elections! Though a certain politician who was involved with Donegal farmers didn't get back in which I think was a good thing!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering

Advertisement