Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Cranmore

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

And I get hassle for going off topic! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Ops sorry, I am glad to see that the innocent young boy is recovering from his injuries but it will take a lot more to treat all his emotional scars. I did read all about this man who was murdered and he did seem to be a bad character but if we all went out every time we fell out with someone or didn't like someone and killed/executed them what type of world would we live in?

I am glad I do not live close to this to be honest and I hope all these shady characters are brought to justice - which is another thing that should change to make it harder for criminals to work in our society!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Only mess'n blue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Justice? A rare commodity in Ireland. In the unlikely event that people are arrested for this murder (going by recent cases of a similar nature in Sligo), the Irish Judiciary will probably impose a super leniant sentence, ensuring the killer will be back on the streets within 5-7 years at most. One man from Sligo was convicted of "manslaughter" in the past few years. He kicked a man to death in an alleyway. He was back wandering around Sligo after 18 months. If I hadn't witnessed the person in question trying to get into a nightclub (and failing) in the queue ahead of me, I wouldn't have believed our country put such a low price on human life.
    Interestinly, the most recent victim had connections to the man who shot Charlie Chawke in an armed robbery. (source:Irish Independent). Chawke survived, but the shooter received a life sentence. In the last month, Chawke has been implicated in the Bertie-Digout affair. Apparently the well being of certain members of our society is worth infinitely more than most people's lives.

il gatto wrote: »
    Justice? A rare commodity in Ireland. In the unlikely event that people are arrested for this murder (going by recent cases of a similar nature in Sligo), the Irish Judiciary will probably impose a super leniant sentence, ensuring the killer will be back on the streets within 5-7 years at most. One man from Sligo was convicted of "manslaughter" in the past few years. He kicked a man to death in an alleyway. He was back wandering around Sligo after 18 months. If I hadn't witnessed the person in question trying to get into a nightclub (and failing) in the queue ahead of me, I wouldn't have believed our country put such a low price on human life.
    Interestinly, the most recent victim had connections to the man who shot Charlie Chawke in an armed robbery. (source:Irish Independent). Chawke survived, but the shooter received a life sentence. In the last month, Chawke has been implicated in the Bertie-Digout affair. Apparently the well being of certain members of our society is worth infinitely more than most people's lives.
    Was anyone listening to Ocean FM this morning - there was a big discussion on this and general criminal activity in Sligo on the morning show? It was a very lively debate and worth a listen to - think it will be repeated after 2am tonight at http://www.oceanfm.ie going into the live broadcasting!

The crime correspondent from the Sunday World was on - I am not going to name him having got into trouble before but he made some very interesting points! First of all about members of the general public being intimidated and bullied into not coming forward with information that can get these 'scum bags' put in prison! The threat of violence again themselves or their families make it impossible for law abiding citizens to do their duty and put these people behind bars! He went on to point out that this happened in Limerick 15 or so years ago and now it has spun completely out of control! If our attitude is to let these 'low lifes' kill each other do we not condon the violence that they are committing?

I agree with him in that to put our heads in the sand is easy but at what price in 15 years time when our families/children cannot go outside because they could be in the wrong place at the wrong time - this is what happened to the young 12 year old boy and also to be honest his parent should not have let him go with someone who had such a bad criminal record! At the same time when living in towns it is very difficult to keep tabs on children and where they are etc... but after 12 at night - come on!

The crime correspondent did also mention associations with the man mentioned above saying that he was an uncle - the family of the deceased then rang in to say the this man was not related to their family or the deceased, don't know which is right but it was sort of chilling to know that these criminals could also be listening and taking notes for future reference - I am not referring to his family but the criminal element that he is associated with! His funeral is on today as far as I am aware so to be honest I cannot figure out how they (the family) would have been tuned in!

The crime correspondent also pointed out that the criminal gangs were now using the gardai omubusman (don't think I have that spelt properly but to lazy to go and look it up in the dictionary) to complain about gardai in the country and were lowering the morale of the force - meaning that they were using this system of checking up on our justice system to their advantage! This was set up for every citizen in the country to have a place to go if they felt they were being treated unfairly etc but criminal are hijacking this to try and intimidate the decent (mostly) members of our gardai to not take the risks associated with their job to bring these people to justice! Someone hanging on your shoulder is not nice for anyone and they could then feel why bother just go in do 8 hours and go home - easier! Seemly the omubusman's office can just land in a station and just collect what they want without explanation? That is what he said this morning, at the same time I know we do need safe guards there but why should known criminal be allowed to use them at our expense?

I think we all as ordinary people need to stand up and be counted - if these criminals do not have customers they will soon fizzle out, some very high profile members of our society have been funding these criminal in using drugs for their own personal use! The buck has to stop with us and we have to sit up and say enough is enough - if the whole town of Sligo stood up with the gardai and said this is it we are giving evidence, statements etc and hundreds of people went in what would these criminal do then? Would they start a mass murder campaign, I don't think so - I think they would run away scared because at the end of the day they are cowards all of them but when they think they have power they will use it against us!

Do listen to the programme if you can tonight - there maybe a way of getting it now online to repeat what was said but I don't know how to access that, maybe someone else could enlighten us?

Best wishes,

blue shimmering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Nice piece shim, The trouble is you need someone strong to start the fightback and they need to attract alot of other brave people before the masses will allign behind them and fight the scum.

Honest people have alot to lose by standing up to them and the scum use whatever they can to insure the don't get caught. Intimidation is so easy to carry out and hard to prove or stand up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

nanook wrote: »
    A reputation for being rough and that was it, families fought and aired their problems in public. That was it.

Yeah, none of the shootings that's going on now.

Having said Cranmore was a bad place then, I still had no fear to walk there late at night alone, I wouldn't dare do that now.

Of course there were family fueds back then, but they were sorted verbally - at worse with fists - but no-one got killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I'd walk through Cranmore no problem day or night, happen to be from there well the more peaceful part of it.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I'd walk through Cranmore no problem day or night, happen to be from there well the more peaceful part of it.
    The problem JoeyJJ is that if no one stands up now it will only get worse, there are stats there to prove it! I wouldn't walk down the streets of Donegal Town on my own late at night never mind any part of Sligo Town! That is not a reflection on Sligo or Donegal it is only being SAFE rather than SORRY, oh for the days that the doors could remain on the latch.......Don't think we will ever see them again but really people need to get up of their behinds now before its to late to save their towns and villages!

One person can do very little - just look at Veronica Gerin as an example and I am sure all crime reporters are under these threats that is why I thought the Sunday World Crime report was very brave this morning and I lift my hat off to him (if I had one on that is), mind you the weather we are predicted to get, a hat will not be much use!

By the way I have never been to Cranmore, don't know if that is a good or bad thing?

Best wishes,

blue shimmering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Garda morale? They're well paid to do a job. In the private sector, telling your boss your morale is low doesn't go very far. The Guards are saying morale is low because of the ombudsman now. The other excuse is judges letting criminals walk out of court. If they worked as janitors and told the boss that they didn't empty bins as they'd only be full again the next day, they'd be fired. Their job is to catch criminals and present them in court with the evidence to hand for the prosecution legal team. It's neither here nor there what happens after they've given their evidence.
    Guards have a decently paid job for life with a good pension at the end of it. The very least we should expect is that they do a decent job for the tax money that pays their wages. I personally don't feel we're getting much value for money from the Gardai. We all get stopped by gruff Gardai with no manners and inquisitioned on the side of the road about where we're going, coming from, what we're driving, breath checked etc. When you're the victim of some crime however, see how much they care about your well being. They're amaturish, lazy and ignorant to the public alot of the time. Not all obviously, but in far too many cases that's the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

The garda have to take some reponsibility for the lack of compliance that they get from the general public. There has been institutional problems that appear to be only slowly addressed now as they come under the spotlight with the the Donegal case etc. Up until recently whan the obudsman took over the Complaints system was a process of gardai themselves "looking into" complaints. (Think thats still the case for the legal system. ) They are been brought kicking and screaming into the 21st century when it come to their systems and admin. This does'nt give confidence to the public surely? This must also be dissapointing for those trying to do the job. Even now the website is archiac. You practically have to sit in a room with the commissioner before you enter! :D
    http://www.garda.ie/

Advertisement