Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Transport Dublin to Cornafean

• 05-01-2008 11:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    If I had to get to Cornafean from Dublin without a car, would buses be the only option for getting there? If I get Bus Eireann to Cavan town, does anyone know of any private buses heading towards Arva via Cornafean?
    I cant find Arva on Bus Eireann's website so I'm assuming they dont go near it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

i know there is taxis outside the bus station but i don't think there is a direct bus service to cornafean/arva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

deswalsh wrote: »
    Hi,
    If I had to get to Cornafean from Dublin without a car, would buses be the only option for getting there? If I get Bus Eireann to Cavan town, does anyone know of any private buses heading towards Arva via Cornafean?
    I cant find Arva on Bus Eireann's website so I'm assuming they dont go near it.
    Oh but they do, so they do! Theres a single bus from Cavan to Arva/ Killeshandra on a Tuesday!!!
    http://www.buseireann.ie/site/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/local/465.pdf
    I'm not too sure though what route it takes to get from Arva to Ballinagh.

NOW. It seems that Whartons travel run a service from Cavan to Longford via Arva a number of times a day. Its not mentioned on their website (its all about trips to old trafford and the likes) but is on this site here
    http://www.longford.ie/longford_content.aspx?id=5774

There also seems to be a Donnellys bus from Gowna (originating in Granard) which would go through Cornafean via Arva.
    Depart Gowna @ 10.30am – Arrive Cavan @ 11.00am
    Depart Cavan @ 12.30pm – Arrive @Gowna @ 1.00pm
    info from http://www.longford.ie/longford_content.aspx?id=5818

On a tangent: In germany theres a central online timetable planner integrating ALL public transport services, and we could really do with that in Ireland if you ask me! Bus eireann only shows bus eireann, irish rail the rail services, and all the privates have feck all information, probably cos 99% of the customers are shaggin pensioners!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Munchkin_utd, you're a legend! Thanks for that.

Just for posterity I've taken the liberty to publish the timetable here.
    I've rearranged it to make it more readable too!!
    Route serviced: Cavan - Arva - Drumlish - Longford.
    [FONT="Courier New"]
    Depart 	             Arrive/Depart 	   Arrive
    Cavan 8.00hrs 	   Arva 8.30hrs        Longford 9.15hrs
    Cavan 13.00hrs 	   Arva 13.30hrs       Longford 14.15hrs
       -----------     Arva 16.30hrs       Longford 17.15hrs

Depart               Arrive/Depart 	   Arrive
    Longford 10.20hrs  Arva 11.00hrs      Cavan 11.30hrs
    Longford 15.20hrs  Arva 16.15hrs      ------------	
    Longford 18.00hrs  Arva 18.45hrs      Cavan 19.15hrs[/FONT]

For further details on this bus service please contact

Whartons Travel Ltd,
    Head Office
    Crossdoney
    Cavan
    Ireland
    Phone: +353 49 4337000
    Fax:+353 49 4337634
    Email: info@whartonstravel.com

And for the craic of it heres it fiddled with Dublin Connections!
    i dont know if it waits for the Dublin busses at Longford/ Cavan but if you ring the office they can tell you

Dublin --> Arva
    Depart 	       Arrive        Depart 	              Arrive
    ----  NO DUB CONNECTION ---  Cavan 8.00hrs    Arva 8.30hrs     
    Dublin 10:30   Cavan 12:40   Cavan 13.00hrs   Arva 13.30hrs   

Depart 	       Arrive          Depart              Arrive/Depart 	  
    Dublin 08.00   L-ford 10.05   Longford 10.20hrs  Arva 11.00hrs   -->  Cavan
    Dublin 13.00   L-ford 15.10   Longford 15.20hrs  Arva 16.15hrs         -------	
    Dublin 15.45   L-ford 17.40   Longford 18.00hrs  Arva 18.45hrs   -->  Cavan

• Advertisement

agh jeasus. For curiositys sake, heres the connections to dublin

Arva --> Dublin (via Longford or Cavan)
    Depart       Arrive/Depart  Arrive          CHANGE + Depart    Arrive
    Cavan 08.00  Arva 08.30  Longford 09.15     Longford 09.50 Dublin 11.40
    Cavan 13.00  Arva 13.30  Longford 14.15     Longford 15.00 Dublin 16.55
     ----------  Arva 16.30  Longford 17.15     Longford*17.20 Dublin 19.15 
                                     *Bus probably does not wait for connection!!!
                                     *Next Bus 19.50

Depart         Arrive/Depart    Arrive      CHANGE + Depart    Arrive
    Longford 10.20  Arva 11.00  Cavan 11.30     Cavan 12.00 Dublin 14.10
    Longford 15.20  Arva 16.15  ------------	
    Longford 18.00  Arva 18.45  Cavan 19.15     Cavan 20.00 Dublin 21.40

does anyone know if Whartons is still running the service from Arva to Cavan/ Longford?

Theres no mention of it on their website and the Longford Leader had a mention of a rumour of it being cancelled a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cavangirl

HI ALL THAT SERVICE WAS CANCELLED A WHILE AGO.

fair play for getting back with the news of the demise of this service.
    The department of transport still has it down as an active route.

That leaves Arva and that part of the country with 1 bus service a week from bus eireann.

Agh well.
    If you have a policy of building all the new houses scattered amongst the farthest ends of the countryside, then you probably cant expect frequent service between the consequently not very populated towns.

Mmmm. Would that be called bad planning????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Geog1234

Wharton's bus service Cavan-Crossdoney-Arva-Drumlish-Longford continues to operate.
    The best of luck.

• Advertisement

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Wharton's bus service Cavan-Crossdoney-Arva-Drumlish-Longford continues to operate.
    The best of luck.
    you make your own luck......

And by not having a regular service like that properly advertised (they have a very indepth website for their holiday services) is just plain dumb.

My parents would be potential customers for the service, but feck it, I cant tell them when it runs, or if it runs, cos theres NO INFO!!

Not from the National Transport Authority
    Not from Whartons.

And its one thing to have crap or non existant public transport, its another to actually have a decent service round the corner and not know about it!!

They must have very good patronage if they arent arsed publicising the service though, which is a good sign maybe?

Advertisement