Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortune Tellers

• 05-01-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

NOT FOR ME....

As stated not for me but the better half is looking for a good fortune teller in or around the Waterford Area.
    Can anybody able to recommend one, previous experience would be nice to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    NOT FOR ME....
    good fortune teller

ill b in limerick at the end of this month if she wants t travel ill do it. im 200/hr that means im good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Does yer man Stan Phillips from Waterford Today not do all that. I think his number may be on that page and all. Apparently he's 'good'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Roen wrote: »
    Does yer man Stan Phillips from Waterford Today not do all that. I think his number may be on that page and all. Apparently he's 'good'.

No he's not, from my experience anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

there used to be a fella that did em in tramore but he gone now!!!! i have a number for a fella in clonmel his name is rory bates pm me if you would like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some girls at work said they are going to some woman in Clonmel who they say is good. Some went to her before. Unfortunately, I don't have a name, but apparently she is on Davis Road across from Dunnes and Lidl.

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    Some girls at work said they are going to some woman in Clonmel who they say is good. Some went to her before. Unfortunately, I don't have a name, but apparently she is on Davis Road across from Dunnes and Lidl.
    my mother went to that woman and she,s meant to be good alrite they had it booked months in advance coz she usually busy, she must be if she has big merc parked up outside her house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

cant believe that enough people fall for this kind of stuff, there's a few people that do it out in tramore during the summer if she's willing to wait that long

well i,d say you,d change your mind about that if you got your tarot cards read! i was the same way until i had mine done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

As far as I'm concerned they play a statistics game. Add to this the human mind is more than willing to fill in any blanks and some readings can seem pretty accurate.

While I don't discount these people entirely, and I'd love to get past life regression done, I do think a lot of it is exploitative bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Roen wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned they play a statistics game. Add to this the human mind is more than willing to fill in any blanks and some readings can seem pretty accurate.

While I don't discount these people entirely, and I'd love to get past life regression done, I do think a lot of it is exploitative bollox.
    As do I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarah 08

there used to be a fella that did em in tramore but he gone now!!!! i have a number for a fella in clonmel his name is rory bates pm me if you would like it

hi cud i get dat number to dat fella in clonmel dats doin fortune tellings plz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sarah 08 wrote: »
    hi cud i get dat number to dat fella in clonmel dats doin fortune tellings plz

PM him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Seriously folks, should we really be giving out details for scam artists on this board ? These vultures are only using a few well known cheap party tricks to prey on the intellectually less fortunate souls among us and it is wrong. Exploitation at its worst.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Seriously folks, should we really be giving out details for scam artists on this board ? These vultures are only using a few well known cheap party tricks to prey on the intellectually less fortunate souls among us and it is wrong. Exploitation at its worst.

Iv spoken to two people convinced its all true. Not sure who they went to but the lady in question was able to pass on a message from a lady who committed suicide (and she named the girl) and also told her things that only she would know. Tis creepy. Anyway, these numbers are to be given out over PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Quigs Snr wrote: »

Not everyone believes what you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Have to agree with takola there.
    intellectually less fortunate souls
    is a bit of an ignorant thing to say no matter how smartly you phrase it.
    Fair enough if you don't belive it, state that fact but you shouldn't insinuate that people are stupid, thats making things a bit personal IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

NOT FOR ME....

As stated not for me but the better half is looking for a good fortune teller in or around the Waterford Area.

Just to let you know, I spent 2 days digging for a box of buried 'valuables' round the back of a relatives house based on information recieved from a fortune teller in Tramore, Waterford. Needless to say, there was no box found...

Just to let you know, I spent 2 days digging for a box of buried 'valuables' round the back of a relatives house based on information recieved from a fortune teller in Tramore, Waterford. Needless to say, there was no box found...
    are you sure you searched everywhere?????? i,ve been to a few of em and found some that some of the stuff i was told came to pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

i believe it in some ways, my fathers cousin married a girl from Roscommon. she was a tinkers daughter who said the virgin mary appeared to her when she was 10 years old walking home from school!!

cut a long story short, she called my dad up to the house a week before she died and told my father some serious stuff!! everything to this day had come true and this was told to her before the celtic tiger kicked in!! told him dates and reasons why people were going to pass on!!

crazy stuff altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i would be interest in this too, anyone have any good recommendations PM me please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

theres an english guy out in dunkitt that advertises in the munster, i know someone who often goes to him and found some of the things he told her spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Em Harry Potter is meant to be good...oh wait fortune teller not wizard? My bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Enough of that wisecracking now, some people here are interested in this for real, if you want to debate its credibility start a new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,219 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Asmodean wrote: »
    Enough of that wisecracking now, some people here are interested in this for real, if you want to debate its credibility start a new thread.
    We'll make a mod out of you yet ;)

Keep the posts on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

on another note i do find it interesting,

Though their was one summer i was passing the tellers in tramore, one "lady" was passed out on the bench outside her carava, i had to prod her to wake up and she staggered in and told me, needless to say i looked for a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anita15

NOT FOR ME....

went to rory bates last week he was amazing cost 50 euro up to 80 sorry havent got a number for him he is in the town of clonmel will try to get the number[ just waitin on it ] <snip - no mobiles> thats the number well worth a visit :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Ok I have to chime in on this topic as it is one that really makes me angry.

I have an interest in magic and mentalism/mind reading. I have many books and other sources of information on the subject. I'm fairly confident I could reproduce anything a so-called "fortune teller" could do. I know people that spend hundreds of euros a year going to these people and it really annoys me to see them get exploited. While I can neither prove nor disprove the existence of genuine fortune tellers I believe that 99.9% of them are fakes. And the other 0.1% refuse to, or can't, prove what they do is real.

As for anyone who believes in "fortune tellers" I have the following suggestion. Next time you go to one go to someone who's never met you or someone close to you and who knows absolutely nothing about you. Most importantly bring a tape record. Record your whole session. My bet is this won't be allowed and the "fortune teller" will use some excuse to stop you. If they do, there's a fraud straight away. But let's assume you are allowed to record.

During the session ask some questions that require a very specific answer. I mean "a person I know died recently, what is their name?" or something to that effect. And don't choose a name like John, Mary etc! Then see if you get a specific answer. Odds are you won't. But ask away and record the whole thing. Then go home and listen back to the whole recording with a pen and paper.

Note every bit of information you give to the fortune teller, and especially look out for information you gave that you didn't even realise you were giving at the time. A "fortune teller" will use "feeler" questions that don't require a direct answer but give lots of information away based on how you answer. E.g. "You come from a big family don't you?", "Well, sort of.". This suggests you have maybe two or three siblings. Based on other "feeler" questions a "fortune teller" could work out that it's likely you have two brothers and a sister. Then presumably out of nowhere he could say you have only one sister and you're quite close. If this hits the mark you would be quite amazed. If it misses slightly, e.g. you do have only one sister and you were close but not for a couple of years, it's still pretty close. So listen to your recording and note everything you say and try to see the information you gave away without even realising it.

Also note every bit of information the "fortune teller" gives back. Is it a specific answer or a vague answer? We're not interested in vague answers as anybody can do that and if that's what you're getting you're being robbed of your money. If it is a specific answer ask yourself did you inadvertently give any information away at any stage before that that would have led to this answer? You'd be surprised how little tidbits you mention here and there can be used against you much later in the session.

At the end note how many things they guessed right that you in no way influenced (again you have to watch very carefully everything you say to the "fortune teller", they are experts are gathering this information). These are hits. Everything that they got wrong will be marked as a miss.

My guess is that there will be more misses than hits and most hits will be educated guesses made using information you unwittingly gave to the "fortune teller". Some hits will seemingly come out of nowhere. Many of these will undoubtedly be tried and trusted ones that the "fortune teller" has used on many previous clients which he/she has had success with. e.g. You're not happy in your job, you long to do something more creative like write songs, books, open a restaurant etc.

Also see if the "fortune teller" told you anything negative. Eg. "Will I get a promotion?". "No. In fact you'll be let go and spend years struggling to pay the rent.". It may turn out to be true but no "fortune teller" would ever tell you this as it's not good for business.

At the end of the day all "fortune tellers" are in it for the money. They'll tell you what you want to hear. They know that you've come to them to believe what they say so they know you'll just probably ignore everything they get wrong and instead focus on what they got right. And the best thing about the job....any direct questions can be answered with vague answers "It doesn't work that way I'm afraid", "I can only guide you, your decisions could change the future" etc.

To finish I don't want to criticize anyone here who believes in "Fortune Tellers". But just ask yourselves do these people deserve my money for telling me what I want to hear?

Ok I have to chime in on this topic as it is one that really makes me angry.

I have an interest in magic and mentalism/mind reading. I have many books and other sources of information on the subject. I'm fairly confident I could reproduce anything a so-called "fortune teller" could do. I know people that spend hundreds of euros a year going to these people and it really annoys me to see them get exploited. While I can neither prove nor disprove the existence of genuine fortune tellers I believe that 99.9% of them are fakes. And the other 0.1% refuse to, or can't, prove what they do is real.

As for anyone who believes in "fortune tellers" I have the following suggestion. Next time you go to one go to someone who's never met you or someone close to you and who knows absolutely nothing about you. Most importantly bring a tape record. Record your whole session. My bet is this won't be allowed and the "fortune teller" will use some excuse to stop you. If they do, there's a fraud straight away. But let's assume you are allowed to record.

During the session ask some questions that require a very specific answer. I mean "a person I know died recently, what is their name?" or something to that effect. And don't choose a name like John, Mary etc! Then see if you get a specific answer. Odds are you won't. But ask away and record the whole thing. Then go home and listen back to the whole recording with a pen and paper.

Note every bit of information you give to the fortune teller, and especially look out for information you gave that you didn't even realise you were giving at the time. A "fortune teller" will use "feeler" questions that don't require a direct answer but give lots of information away based on how you answer. E.g. "You come from a big family don't you?", "Well, sort of.". This suggests you have maybe two or three siblings. Based on other "feeler" questions a "fortune teller" could work out that it's likely you have two brothers and a sister. Then presumably out of nowhere he could say you have only one sister and you're quite close. If this hits the mark you would be quite amazed. If it misses slightly, e.g. you do have only one sister and you were close but not for a couple of years, it's still pretty close. So listen to your recording and note everything you say and try to see the information you gave away without even realising it.

Also note every bit of information the "fortune teller" gives back. Is it a specific answer or a vague answer? We're not interested in vague answers as anybody can do that and if that's what you're getting you're being robbed of your money. If it is a specific answer ask yourself did you inadvertently give any information away at any stage before that that would have led to this answer? You'd be surprised how little tidbits you mention here and there can be used against you much later in the session.

At the end note how many things they guessed right that you in no way influenced (again you have to watch very carefully everything you say to the "fortune teller", they are experts are gathering this information). These are hits. Everything that they got wrong will be marked as a miss.

My guess is that there will be more misses than hits and most hits will be educated guesses made using information you unwittingly gave to the "fortune teller". Some hits will seemingly come out of nowhere. Many of these will undoubtedly be tried and trusted ones that the "fortune teller" has used on many previous clients which he/she has had success with. e.g. You're not happy in your job, you long to do something more creative like write songs, books, open a restaurant etc.

Also see if the "fortune teller" told you anything negative. Eg. "Will I get a promotion?". "No. In fact you'll be let go and spend years struggling to pay the rent.". It may turn out to be true but no "fortune teller" would ever tell you this as it's not good for business.

At the end of the day all "fortune tellers" are in it for the money. They'll tell you what you want to hear. They know that you've come to them to believe what they say so they know you'll just probably ignore everything they get wrong and instead focus on what they got right. And the best thing about the job....any direct questions can be answered with vague answers "It doesn't work that way I'm afraid", "I can only guide you, your decisions could change the future" etc.

To finish I don't want to criticize anyone here who believes in "Fortune Tellers". But just ask yourselves do these people deserve my money for telling me what I want to hear?
    99.9 percent of what u said is bull****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i think people like derren brown have blown this kind of thing wide open he will read peoples minds but admits hes not a mind reader or telepathic he just uses psychology etc to plants suggestions etc.
    personally i think the majority of fortune tellers do the same thing ,they extract info and use it to paint a (happy) picture for the costumer.
    the problem is its hard to seperate the genuine from the con artists, some will say they are all the same but i know from anecdotel evidence that there are genuine mediums out there who do want to help people
    if this is what you want to spend your money on then go ahead i can think of worse ways to spend it.

Advertisement