Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Damage in Dublin Airport.

Options
  • 05-01-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

My car was damged by someone opening their passenger door at the long term car park. There was a significant dent and sctatch.
    This was probably caused by the Northern reg Pajero beside my car as the dent matched the Pajeros offside rear door.

I reported it to the Airport police, who said to leave a note on the Pajero. I have not heard anything yet ( one week) .

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I assume that because it was a northy car, no insurance details were on display?

Inform your insurance company. They can perform whats called a 'MID Check' - this will tell who insures the vehicle. Either you or your insurance company can get on to them and put in a claim.

I wouldn't say you'd have much success with photo's though? Did you take any?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I did with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Contact the PSNI and inform them that the owner of the car left the scene of an accident and ignored your request to be contacted to exchange insurance details.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eth0_ wrote: »
    Contact the PSNI and inform them that the owner of the car left the scene of an accident and ignored your request to be contacted to exchange insurance details.

Bit harsh,no? It's only been a week. The guy could have only just gone on holiday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you check if the Pajero is still in the airport?

• Advertisement

I said to the Police I would give it 2 weeks, I plan to call them to see if its still there.
    I just want to know what my options are before I go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Traumadoc wrote: »
    My car was damged by someone opening their passenger door at the long term car park. There was a significant dent and sctatch.
    This was probably caused by the Northern reg Pajero beside my car as the dent matched the Pajeros offside rear door.

I reported it to the Airport police, who said to leave a note on the Pajero. I have not heard anything yet ( one week) .

What should I do?

Unless it was caught on camera i dont think there is a lot you can do.

You certainly take your chances parking in a car park, pity, but things like this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Dont think theres much anyone can do. Theres always a risk parking in a public place/ carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In my opinion, you'd only be annoying yourself pursuing this matter. The damage was probably done innocently by an excited child throwing open the door or it may have been caught by the wind. It's annoying but one of the risks of motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You could try sending the bill to the people who operate the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

eth0_ wrote: »
    Seriously now, firstly it's not proven the other car was the culprit, secondly if they were they may not have been aware of the damage, thirdly how can you proved the note was still on the car when the owner got back?

OP, chalk it down to experience, not worth perusing.
    Fey! wrote: »
    You could try sending the bill to the people who operate the carpark.
    The DAA have enough disclaimers which would indicate they are well covered.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The DAA have enough disclaimers which would indicate they are well covered.
    Yes, the terms and conditions are displayed at each barrier (and on the tickets?). By entering you are automatically deemed to have accepted those conditions.

If the Pajero driver was responsible, one would assume he/she would have parked elsewhere after cuasing the damage (human nature being what it is). Unless, of course, they were running very late for a flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yes, the terms and conditions are displayed at each barrier (and on the tickets?). By entering you are automatically deemed to have accepted those conditions.
    Which mean nothing as you cannot waive away the law. It is standard practice to put up signs like that to discourage people from taking action against the property/premises owner. If something bad happens while on someone else's property you are entitled to sue.

Imagine this scenario: you are walking through the car park and you slip on a banana skin that was dropped by someone else. You sustain a broken wrist and a concussion. You wouldn't be long thinking about suing the DAA.

OP you have to get proof. Just because they were parked beside you doesn't mean they did it. You will have to get the airport police to look through CCTV footage, assuming it still exists.

Yes those diclaimers mean nothing, and it may not be worth going after the presumed culprit. So I was wondering would I be aswell going after the DAA, seeing as I paid them so much for the privilage.

I remember recently people reported having cars vandalised near the bus station being compensated.

here it is

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/airport-carpark-price-hikes-fail--to-prevent-thefts-1248207.html

You'll still need to prove that it happened in the Airport car park tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I recently came back from a holiday with a friend to find someone had hit the front of my car leaving a big scrape along the bumper and ripping off my number plate and the housing.

I was parked in the Long term car park right across from where the Buses wait. I contacted everyone I could at Dublin airport and no one ever got back to me, even after ringing them a few times.

It cost me 300 euros to fix. Not a nice thing to come back from holiday to have to pay.

CIMG1084-800.jpg

JHMEG wrote: »
    OP you have to get proof. Just because they were parked beside you doesn't mean they did it. You will have to get the airport police to look through CCTV footage, assuming it still exists.
    Years ago I was knocked off a bicycle at the airport. Requests for access to CCTV were declined because "none of our cameras were working there that day". They won't get involved in the OPs case if they can help it!

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I was parked in the Long term car park right across from where the Buses wait
    Sorry for your troubles AntiVirus. :(

Presumably you may think that it occurred under the nose of the bus drivers and boarding passengers. The buses may have been waiting there when you parked there, as that zone was obviously active but the active zone would change regularly.

kbannon wrote: »
    Years ago I was knocked off a bicycle at the airport. Requests for access to CCTV were declined because "none of our cameras were working there that day". They won't get involved in the OPs case if they can help it!
    I know a lad who had a very very minor scrape done to his car in a city centre multistorey while he was off shopping. When he came back and noticed it he went straight to security and phoned the gardaí from there (smart move), demanding a cop come out as criminal damage was done. Surely a cop arrived out, and supervised the attendant going thru the cctv footage, spotted the car doing the damage in the film, the cop radioed back to base and got the details of the woman driving it.

THAT'S how to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I know a lad who had a very very minor scrape done to his car in a city centre multistorey while he was off shopping. When he came back and noticed it he went straight to security and phoned the gardaí from there (smart move), demanding a cop come out as criminal damage was done. Surely a cop arrived out, and supervised the attendant going thru the cctv footage, spotted the car doing the damage in the film, the cop radioed back to base and got the details of the woman driving it.

THAT'S how to do it!

Balls, thats what I should have done when the same thing happened to the wifes car in drury st car park, big scrape on the front bumper :(

OP I'd say you'll just have to take it, I have tried to get this one sorted by calling cops, the operators of the car park, looking for cctv, and all it did was waste my time :(

• Advertisement

THAT'S how to do it!
    Well done.
    Unfortunately in my case, I was in bits in Beaumont and not in a position to do that. It was my solicitors who were fed this line.

Well done.
    Unfortunately in my case, I was in bits in Beaumont and not in a position to do that. It was my solicitors who were fed this line.
    Sorry to hear that, but I think you could do with finding yourself a better solicitor tho.

Did you cycle to the airport to get a flight?

the cop radioed back to base and got the details of the woman driving it.

THAT'S how to do it!
    Yes, but what happened next? :confused:

(Personally, I find that story a little difficult to believe. In my experience, the Gardai are usually only interested in pursuing these matters if a person has been injured. :()

Presumably, he was working there. Lots of airport staff cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Sorry for your troubles AntiVirus. :(

Presumably you may think that it occurred under the nose of the bus drivers and boarding passengers. The buses may have been waiting there when you parked there, as that zone was obviously active but the active zone would change regularly.

Its the waiting/departure area in the Red zone for the buses. There were 2 buses park there when I left and 3 when I came back. The alarm had also gone off as the alarm light was flashing in the car.

I went over to the bus driver who was in the first bus and told him. He came over to have a look and said I should go and report it at the control centre.

There was no one there!

Yes, but what happened next? :confused:

(Personally, I find that story a little difficult to believe. In my experience, the Gardai are usually only interested in pursuing these matters if a person has been injured. :()

He phoned the woman involved, told her it was all on camera, cops were involved etc, and said she was paying for the repair work. There was no argument from her. Last time I was talking to him he was mulling over what he was going to have done..

He was very insistent from start to finish. I'd say the garda involved was a bit amused by the whole thing. But hey it worked, and I've certainly learned a lesson by it!;)

Sorry to hear that, but I think you could do with finding yourself a better solicitor tho.

My reasons for being on the bike are irrelevant. My point is that we got a written response from Aer Rianta Police stating the above comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

My reasons for being on the bike are irrelevant.
    :eek: He was only asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

He phoned the woman involved, told her it was all on camera, cops were involved etc, and said she was paying for the repair work. There was no argument from her. Last time I was talking to him he was mulling over what he was going to have done..

He was very insistent from start to finish. I'd say the garda involved was a bit amused by the whole thing. But hey it worked, and I've certainly learned a lesson by it!;)

Fair play to your mate for being so insistent/persistent. Just because the cops may not want to fill out the paperwork, doesn't mean people shouldn't insist they do the job they're being paid for.

The biggest problem in this country is people taking the "ah sure there's no point" or "what can you do?" attitude in cases like this. Combined with the "ah sure it'll be grand" approach to everything, it's no wonder things are the way they are.

After all in this case all it cost was a few phone calls. That seems a lot better to me than having to pay several hundred Euro for someone else's negligence.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    :eek: He was only asking.
    I know and wasn't snapping - apols if it sounded like it did.

Advertisement