Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What masters are people doing/planning on doing?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I'm in my final year of arts doing economics and sociology. Heading for hopefully a 2.1, maybe 2.2 I'd say. Gonna work for a year when I finish and apply for masters for the year after.
    Haven't a clue what masters to be looking at really, defo not doing one in ucd anyway!

Anyone done any good courses or looking at any courses that they could recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Probably a masters of finance...hopefully at the London Business School. Will work for a few years and then go back to get masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Having a look around at finance masters at the moment, anywhere really. Has anyone applied to them yet? I'm planning on applying as soon as these results come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

archaeology hopefully. But probably not in UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

whats the minimium to get to do a masters?

50% + ?
    60% + ?
    70% + ?
    80% + ?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

The minimum is a 2.1, though if you get less than this and have enough relevant work experience you could petition to be allowed onto the course.

I'm doing the LLM in Commercial Law though I wouldn't recommend it. It's badly run and they cancelled most of the courses that I wanted to do.

I have to say that from an employment point of view you would be better off working for a while and then going on to do your Masters. It's tough going, I am working full time but I get my fees paid and an awful lot of study leave so it isn't too bad.

We have a couple of people working for us that have gone straight on and did their masters and while they are well educated they have no experience and that is a major drawback.

For example the last position that became vacant we had two candidates one with a masters one without, the candidate with the masters lost out because the other had more experience. It's not always about qualifications.

Another thing to consider too is the fees for Masters are quite hefty. Most employers are willing to pay for people to continue their studies. It means that they will up their skills and experience base in the one go.

• Advertisement

Thats why its wiser to try and get placements or jobs in your field during you BA in the Summer to get that experience rather than fecking off to Austrailia and drinking your time away.

Undermodularisation a 2:1 is somewhere between a C+ and a B- i think

anyone know how major/minor works

for teaching for example if i did one at major and one at minor , how would that work

level 8 arts by the way . cheers

each module is worth 5 credits, major / major minor / minor minor or otherswise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Masters by Research in Radiography for me.

Then another Masters in Business Administration a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Masters by Research in Radiography for me.

Then another Masters in Business Administration a few years down the line.
    Leave some for the rest of us, will ya?:p

• Advertisement

But i like letters....... they're fun.

I'll leave you and M Eng, I'm not good at maths. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

conor2007 wrote: »
    anyone know how major/minor works

for teaching for example if i did one at major and one at minor , how would that work

level 8 arts by the way . cheers

Its very complicated teaching wise. I asked the teaching council before and they said only a major allows you to teach in your subject and a minor will not allow you to teach in it at any level. However, i have also heard a teacher can teach in a variety of subjects, as was the case in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I'm thinking about saving for the Master in Management (Entrepreneurship stream) in Smurfit when I finish this Higher Diploma.

I was already considering it when I went to a Goldman Sachs recruiting presentation. The trader that they brought over had done the predecessor to the Master in Management, the Diploma in Business Studies. This improved my opinion of it.

minor doesnt qualify you to teach at all?????????????

jaysus , im fecked then

Its very complicated teaching wise. I asked the teaching council before and they said only a major allows you to teach in your subject and a minor will not allow you to teach in it at any level. However, i have also heard a teacher can teach in a variety of subjects, as was the case in my school.

One of my mates checked this out before and she was told that she could teach any subject that she did in first year up to junior cert level and then up to leaving cert for the subjects she did her joint honours in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

When I was interviewed for the place (as a mature student) I was asked whether I would stay for a Master's. I answered that it would all depend on money. There's no financial assistance for Master's unless I get a scholarship, which is unlikely; still, part of the Master's includes a work placement option, which should help. (Hey, I'll be a Structural Engineering graduate, you better pay me something...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

conor2007 wrote: »
    minor doesnt qualify you to teach at all?????????????

jaysus , im fecked then

You can teach with a minor. To teach a subject you have to obtain 70 credits or over in that particular subject. So if ya do a major in 1st year you get 20 credits drop to minor for 2nd and 3rd year thats 20 credits a year which is 60 credits. If you do 10 credits of electives in the said subject it brings it up to 70 and you can teach that particular minor subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I dunno how true it is, but when i was looking into becoming a teacher before i was told that if you achieved an honours grade in a leaving certificate honours subject you could teach it up until third year. There must be some speedy way of qualifying, every school has at least one of those John O'Shea teachers that can teach loads of subjects shítly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

There must be some speedy way of qualifying, every school has at least one of those John O'Shea teachers that can teach loads of subjects shítly

XFD I've never seen it put so accurately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hornblower_live

gerry87 wrote: »
    Having a look around at finance masters at the moment, anywhere really. Has anyone applied to them yet? I'm planning on applying as soon as these results come out.
    Im looking too. :eek: hard to think bout more work but...
    im going to the open evening on the new trinity one next tue. May as well check em out. theres free drink there...probably port and madeira!

• Advertisement

I just have to send email to my head of school about my interest and i think we take it from there. Handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 walshie1974

If your looking for funding for your postgrad you should check out the IRCSET Information Session at UCD
    Thursday 24th January 2008 in B005, Health Sciences Building, Belfield Campus Time: 12.30 to 2pm
    The College of Engineering Mathematical and Physical Sciences Graduate School and the College of Life Sciences Graduate School will be hosting an Information Session on the recently launched Irish Research Council for the Irish Research council for Science Engineering and Technology (IRCSET) POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME 2008.

Considering MSc in Bridge Research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hopefully starting an Msc in Information and Library studies in April. I'll be doing it distance learning through Aberystwyth University. The only place in Ireland that currently offers it is UCD and, eh... no thanks :) 3 years was enough for me.

Down the line I might see about going into Archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I like the idea of the M.Sc in Quantitative Finance in Smurfit.

I was just at a presentation for a similar course being launched by Trinity. It's going to have an unusual structure. The standard 24 lectures per module, 6 modules per 12-week semester, except they're going to put all the lectures for each module in one week. Which means it'll be one subject at a time and every second week off (or three out of every four if someone's doing it part time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i dont have a clue yet, is there anywhere i can get a big list of the masters courses available in ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

ferdi wrote: »
    i dont have a clue yet, is there anywhere i can get a big list of the masters courses available in ireland?
    http://www.postgradireland.com/index.asp is one. There are others.

Individual institutions' websites are more likely to be comprehensive and up-to-date.

UCD, by research
    www.ucd.ie/pgstudy/programmes/research/view_a_to_z/research_a_to_z.htm

UCD, taught
    www.ucd.ie/pgstudy/programmes/taught/view_a_to_z/taught_a_to_z.htm

TCD, overview
    www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies/prospectivestudents/courses/index.php

TCD, taught
    www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies/prospectivestudents/courses/taught/listing/index.php

Edit: Also, looking at the lists of courses in the fees section of a website is a way to double-check you haven't missed anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ok thanks thats great...looked through a lot of that...still no idea lol.

maybe i need to work for a year or something to just get out of college and clear my head so i'll have a fresh perspective on things because at the moment, none of the courses i've seen there grab me in the slightest...feeling fairly confused about the whole thing tbh:( i'm worried that if i take a year to work, i'll end up never going back and furthering my education...bah its all so headwrecking.

Advertisement