Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What masters are people doing/planning on doing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

ferdi wrote: »
    ok thanks thats great...looked through a lot of that...still no idea lol.

maybe i need to work for a year or something to just get out of college and clear my head so i'll have a fresh perspective on things because at the moment, none of the courses i've seen there grab me in the slightest...feeling fairly confused about the whole thing tbh:( i'm worried that if i take a year to work, i'll end up never going back and furthering my education...bah its all so headwrecking.

i'm the same, i know i need at least a year out of education but i really wish i could get the MA over and done with immediately

but there will be no harm in gaining full-time work experience and earning money to pay for your MA even if it is for a year, you will have time to reflect on what if any MA course you want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Hopefully starting an Msc in Information and Library studies in April. I'll be doing it distance learning through Aberystwyth University. The only place in Ireland that currently offers it is UCD and, eh... no thanks :) 3 years was enough for me.

Down the line I might see about going into Archives.

Don't think about going into archives there are VERY few job opportunities. You'd pretty much need a PhD in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ange777

Electric wrote: »
    The minimum is a 2.1, though if you get less than this and have enough relevant work experience you could petition to be allowed onto the course.

I'm doing the LLM in Commercial Law though I wouldn't recommend it. It's badly run and they cancelled most of the courses that I wanted to do.

I have to say that from an employment point of view you would be better off working for a while and then going on to do your Masters. It's tough going, I am working full time but I get my fees paid and an awful lot of study leave so it isn't too bad.

We have a couple of people working for us that have gone straight on and did their masters and while they are well educated they have no experience and that is a major drawback.

For example the last position that became vacant we had two candidates one with a masters one without, the candidate with the masters lost out because the other had more experience. It's not always about qualifications.

Another thing to consider too is the fees for Masters are quite hefty. Most employers are willing to pay for people to continue their studies. It means that they will up their skills and experience base in the one go.

Do you have to have a law degree to apply for the LLm in Comercial Law...I have a degree in international relations and I am not sure if I have any chances to be accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Doing an LLM in LSE nest year! Looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hopefully I can get my grades up next year and get a 2.1. Then in the future I might go for a Masters in either Cognitive Science, or politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No idea what the hell I want to do in terms of a postgrad - I'll see how 4th year goes first!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Anyone doing the MSc in Finance in Trinity? Looks like thats what im going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

ange777 wrote: »
    Do you have to have a law degree to apply for the LLm in Comercial Law...I have a degree in international relations and I am not sure if I have any chances to be accepted

I wouldn't recommend the course it's badly run, some of the lecturers are useless and good luck trying to get anyone to answer the phone or emails.

If you really wanted to pursue an LLM personally I would consider looking elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Mise

MA Archaeology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizziepoos

only going into 3rd year now but working for a 2.1 in the hopes of getting a masters in anglo-irish literature. haven't fully decided whether to do apply for it in ucd or trinity. anyone know anyone doing it in either college or know anything much about the course? love to hear from an insider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

One year left, so if everything goes to plan, i'd like to take a year out to work to save and then do a Masters in Social Policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

MSc. in Business Analytics myself

Advertisement