Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a Music Snob? What genre's do you no like?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 2:59pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've always said that DJ's are some of the biggest snob's you'll ever come across. Many of you will have read my posts about the snobbery i would have found between the Vinyl Junkies and the new Digital Dj's - thankfully this is fast decreasing and most people are finally seeing the light

However when it comes to music, everyone of course has their own preferred styles, and some which they don't like so much. I have to say that I am a bit of a music snob, as my tastes are not really that wide. As I detailed in my other thread I absolutely love most genre's of house etc, but beyond that I don't listen to very much at all. For a short while I was into Hard House back in the List Lashes days, but really now I won't listen to anything that has a BPM over about 135.

I've never been that into Techno, a little here and there is ok, but in recently I have really go into Minimal - strange cause I used to absolutely hate it! I had a party on New Years Eve and by the end of it I had three of my mates who said they hated it, loving it at the end and asking me for tunes names etc.

One thing I have never really been able to take a liking to is Trance. Ok I did like some of it back in the good old days of Heaven Scent, Cafe Del Mar and For an Angel, but I just can't get into modern trance at all really. Eurotrance I think is absolute muck, and Happy Hardcore - oh please... I've yet to meet anyone who was seriously into either who wasn't a dirty little Nacker - lol. I just can't really hack anything in the Hardcore/Hard Dance Category. Some breakbeat and jungle etc can be good at times, but again as you get into the league of speed garage etc I loose interest completely...

So there is how I am a music snob, are you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I suppose I'm a music snob. interesting what you say about minimal. I hated it the first time I heard it, and now absolutely love it. Same with friends of mine who don't even like dance music.
    I forecast a serious increase in minimal's popularity.

Oh and I hate trance, hard house, breaks, and pretty much any music mentioned in that bloody asylum thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Dance Music i wouldn't like would be...

Hardcore (as in modern day hardcore) Cheese of the highest order, some DJ played a bit of it at Moondance last week in a smaller room, i stayed there for 5 minutes listening to it but had to leave, those chipmunk vocals are cringeworthy, nothing at all like the original Hardcore sound of the early 1990's.

Minimal- As dull as dishwater, fcuk knows how it become popular,not uplifting at all and just plain boring and definiteloy not music to be played in clubs, at home skagged out listening to this would be more appropriate for this music.

Hard House - It was good in the mid/late 1990's but has gone up it's own ar*e and has just become too fast and isn't that far behind modern day hardcore in terms of cheesiness.

Dubstep - From what ive heard this is crap as well.

In no way could i ever be accused of a musical snob, i play across the board and like most styles but i cant be dealing with the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

i could be classed as a snob now i suppose as im only into deep/detroit/soulfull/dubby techno and some deep house

i gave everything a listen and ive preferd techno out of all styles of electronic music
    i dont rate trance or hardhouse(never have really) atall and dont think people should be listening to it at this stage in the game nearly 18 years on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Extremely so, to the point that I think most people who listen to what I don't like, dance wise, are scumbags of the highest order (hard dance) or the most boring dry individuals in existence (minimal) - seeing it first hand on many occasions does tar that judgement a bit.

Would listen to trance, tech trance, prog trance and prog house - and not much else.

I'll play anything I'm paid enough for, I am a whore in that regard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

I would be similar in that modern day hardcore or hard house is the biggest load of s"""". Way too old for that kind of crap anyway! The only current dance music I'd listen to now would be deep house and maybe a little prog house and techno. I just feel that dance music nowadays isn't near as good as it was in the early nineties, but then again, I'm getting on in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Im not snobish towards anything really Id never put down anyones taste in music,even the people that are into the likes of clubland cds will mature and like something decent in due time.

Saying that,I feel electro house has gone the way of trance and turned into a parody of itself,same ideas over and over,but thats just dance music for ya.

Still with them and hardhouse and all the rest,they have bags of energy and people like it,so dont forget thats our job to get the people moving.

Hardcore is better then it ever was with the likes of breakcore and all the other mad **** doing damage all over the world,hit any festival like mantua or leechrum and get a good taste of it.

jonny68 I cant recomend enough that you give dubstep another go,its by far the most exciting thing to come along in years,head out and find it on a BIG system somewhere and I promise you'l change your mind...Theres regular nights in Dublin and Galway if you can get to either of them.

And minimal has its nehsayers,but like anything else,dig abit deeper and you'll find theres some imense tracks out there,and it makes perfect sense in berlin at 5 in the morning.

Now that I think of it thee only one is 'psytrance' pointless,soul-less waste of speakers.

But thats only for crustys so **** them ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Yeah Happy Hardcore/Scooter/Speedy J and all that doesnt do it for me but each to their own

And minimal has its nehsayers,but like anything else,dig abit deeper and you'll find theres some imense tracks out there,and it makes perfect sense in berlin at 5 in the morning.

If we had clubs open till 6am I'd be all for minimal and ambient. But with 2am being normal outside Dublin I don't feel it has a purpose in clubs Ireland... and I can't see the current government giving us 6am/24 hour licensing :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Id like to see more Breakbeat type house this year,think Axwell- I Found You,etc and this year could also see the return of Speed Garage,some of which was really good.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

MYOB wrote: »
    If we had clubs open till 6am I'd be all for minimal and ambient. But with 2am being normal outside Dublin I don't feel it has a purpose in clubs Ireland... and I can't see the current government giving us 6am/24 hour licensing :mad:

so you cant really say its sh1t just cause the laws here are backwards,its sound great here at 1am too,I was just pointing out how much it comes into its own in the morning over there,try stick it on at an after party here .then

• Advertisement

At 1am, I prefer to be 15-20 bpm faster ;)

Yeah its more of a sunrise thing isnt it?? 1am is just too early for downtempo post-club music but some of it is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

jonny68 wrote: »
    Id like to see more Breakbeat type house this year,think Axwell- I Found You,etc and this year could also see the return of Speed Garage,some of which was really good.:cool:

wait.... you like uk garage but you think dubstep is crap?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

wait.... you like uk garage but you think dubstep is crap?

:confused:

lol.... dupstep = uk garage minus the mc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

plenty of mc's in dubstep mate, it's not about them, but they are there; it's not the "12 mc's shouting over an 8 bar instrumental" mess that grime is, but there's definitely mc's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yeah Happy Hardcore/Scooter/Speedy J and all that doesnt do it for me but each to their own

How can u put Speedy J in the same sentence as scooter you strange person!

Speedy J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERwfX2nxaI

Scooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5776yhsh4E

And as I types that out I said, I'm sure someone is going to pull me up on this!!! Yes indeed I am strange as you guys will find out!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

I wouldn't call myself a music snob at all really!

I don't hold myself to genres or even artists. I like what i like!

I used to hate dance music (or what i thought was dance music, which turns out was only the crusty euro-dance/tracne sh1te i heard on fm104! lol)
    But early this year I discovered electro, which just opened up a doorway into a whole mess of new music i never knew existed!

Now i'm listening to loads of electro, techno, all sorts of house etc!
    But i really cant get my head around trance and hard-house.
    I still adore the old trance classics, and old school from my youth though (even when I still though I didn't like dance music)

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of minimal overall but there have been a good few tracks that definately caught my attention. I prefer to listen to tech-house/progressive-house which can be quite similar but with a bit more substance imo.
    (btw, with the growth in popularity of ket, i can see how minimal is getting popular too! lol)

But yeah, I have one of the widest tastes in music that i know of! And I prefer it that way, cause I can enjoy it all! (even some happy hardcore!! go dune/ppk/scooter/rmb!!! lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Now what has happened here is that you've associated Speedy J with those cheesy guys because of his choice of name, which leads me to believe me that you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about

Advertisement