Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tailgating?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I've noticed recently driving back from the country and obviously around Dublin of the amount of people tailgating and basically acting the nusiance and i'm fed up! I'm not a learner or a 10kmph granny - i keep within speed limits and been driving for 3 yrs 1 of which fully licenced but this kind of thing is intimidating!

Can this type of thing be reported?
    Other than pulling in on a road and letting the car overtake you - what else can you do? (solutions likebraking suddenly, fog lights etc will only put me in danger)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

If you felt that a specific instance constitutes dangerous driving, I guess you could report it. Can't imagine you'd get very far though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I presume report to gardai - though i not sure i could get very far as it would be impossible to prove unless in cities where there is cctv.
    Shame!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You could tap the brakes so the lights come on but the car doesn't slow, that might make them back off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

DubLegs wrote: »
    I've noticed recently driving back from the country and obviously around Dublin of the amount of people tailgating and basically acting the nusiance and i'm fed up! I'm not a learner or a 10kmph granny - i keep within speed limits and been driving for 3 yrs 1 of which fully licenced but this kind of thing is intimidating!

Can this type of thing be reported?
    Other than pulling in on a road and letting the car overtake you - what else can you do? (solutions likebraking suddenly, fog lights etc will only put me in danger)

Obviously you are holding people up, try driving a little faster if it bothers you that much....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Orange69 wrote: »
    Obviously you are holding people up, try driving a little faster if it bothers you that much....

maybe it's my congested head not detecting the sarcasm...please tell me ur joking...

• Advertisement

So if i'm doing 100 on a 100 road, you think that i should break the speed limit, endanger myself and others because of some fool sitting on my bumper? Never mind being done for speed and add points to a clean licence?

As i said I don't break the speed limit so i'm not holding people up unless they want to break the speed limit.

Hope ur joking too - cos if not i presume ur one of the ones sitting on my bumper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

:eek: I think this should be nominated for the Road Safety Authority's slogan for 2008 :rolleyes:

So if i'm doing 100 on a 100 road, you think that i should break the speed limit, endanger myself and others because of some fool sitting on my bumper? Never mind being done for speed and add points to a clean licence?

As i said I don't break the speed limit so i'm not holding people up unless they want to break the speed limit.

Hope ur joking too - cos if not i presume ur one of the ones sitting on my bumper!

+1

It's something that actually really irritates me more than anything.
    I was driving up the N7 one morening- bout 6.45 doing 100 in the outside lane, passing by people on my left, when all of a sudden, a tithead driving his M5 sits on my ass and flashes his lights. and giving me the finger in my rear view..
    The temptation of slamming on and letting him hit me was so overwhelming...

and again as pointed out, i was doing the speed limit, passing out other drivers on my left, so there wasn't even somewhere for me to go.:mad:

Einstein wrote: »
    +1

It's something that actually really irritates me more than anything.
    I was driving up the N7 one morening- bout 6.45 doing 100 in the outside lane, passing by people on my left, when all of a sudden, a tithead driving his M5 sits on my ass and flashes his lights. and giving me the finger in my rear view..
    The temptation of slamming on and letting him hit me was so overwhelming...

and again as pointed out, i was doing the speed limit, passing out other drivers on my left, so there wasn't even somewhere for me to go.:mad:

The N7 is the road i'm mainly referring to as i do that DUB-Limerick drive at least 3 weekends a month - some drivers are horrific on it.
    So much so that New Years Day driving back - i was panicking about a car behind me, I couldn't pull in for the shear fact that i would not have gotten back out into the traffic it was that heavy. I mean if the road was clear ahead of me i'd gladly move over to let the car pass but it wasn't. Why some ppl insist on sitting on my backside (pretty as it is), i'll never understand.

The N7 is the road i'm mainly referring to as i do that DUB-Limerick drive at least 3 weekends a month - some drivers are horrific on it.
    So much so that New Years Day driving back - i was panicking about a car behind me, I couldn't pull in for the shear fact that i would not have gotten back out into the traffic it was that heavy. I mean if the road was clear ahead of me i'd gladly move over to let the car pass but it wasn't. Why some ppl insist on sitting on my backside (pretty as it is), i'll never understand.

really is for people like this that i'd love to be undercover traffic corps...

the satisfaction would be better then sex*

*this is not necessarily true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Didn't we already do the tailgating thing last month?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194388

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Didn't we already do the tailgating thing last month?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194388

Sorry my mistake didn't see it!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My recommendation still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I drive the N7 on a regular basis and never have any problem with tailgaters even though I sometimes drive below the posted speed limit.

I wonder does it depend on the car you drive? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you in the overtaking lane when this happens, OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

For me, they don't bother me. If somebody drives at an unsafe distance behind me I slow down so that I'm going at a safer speed for the distance they're behind me. If that annoys them I don't really care. I'm not trying to annoy them or hold them up but if I have to jam on I don't want to be killed because some idiot has to stick to my bumper.

Of course if it's safe to pass I'll use that as the first option. It's always better to have an idiot driver ahead of you rather than behind you. They're probably going to crash somewhere and you don't want it to be into the back of you.

I don't agree with tapping the brakes. What if you tap them too hard? What if he doesn't react in time (he / she has already shown they're a crap driver)? It's great that he'll be paying for the accident. It's not so great if your car is wrecked or one or both of you gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

Just let the person over take you. If there is a left lane there then move in and if there is a hard shoulder you can move in too. They'll be gone in a few sec and you won't be all stressed out.

Ok you get the odd idiot that will tailgate you when there is a slow car in fron of you and you can't do nothing about it.

Or if its 100km and you are doing 100km the slow gently to 80km, indicate laft and let them over take you, just don't hug the center line.

No i dont tailgate but everytime i drive anywhere i end up getting stuck behind some "driving miss daisy" type who tips along at 40kph with a clear road ahead of them.. and then don't notice when the speed limit increases to 60 etc..

So i guess i can see the point of someone who would tailgate out of pure frustration but at the same time flashing lights and giving the finger is just ridiculous.

Its easy to demonize people for tailgating, but if it is constantly happening to you then maybe your driving style is the problem. Yes you may not be breaking the rules of the road and you may be "sticking to the limit" etc but in the real world the majority of people exceed the speed limit, mostly in a safe and controlled manner..

Dont get your back up if you end up holding these people up and they sit on your ass..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You will not catch leprosy by driving in the left lane on the N7 between Newland Cross and the M7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tbh the first few times I've left Dublin going down the Naas Road towards the M7, I thought the left lane was for the many exits that you pass.
    I thought if I stayed in the left lane then I'd be forced to leave the Naas Road.

Yes I now this is wrong but it's what the signs seem to show.
    Sorry,getting offtopic

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    You will not catch leprosy by driving in the left lane on the N7 between Newland Cross and the M7

lol, thanks for the idea...

leoprsydl0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You guys are forgetting the good side to tailgating... you are no longer being blinded by their front fogs as you can no longer see them in your rear view mirror.

BTW I find I only get tailgated while driving a car that has L plates up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

micmclo wrote: »
    Tbh the first few times I've left Dublin going down the Naas Road towards the M7, I thought the left lane was for the many exits that you pass.
    I thought if I stayed in the left lane then I'd be forced to leave the Naas Road.

Sorry,getting offtopic

i've notice that too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

micmclo wrote: »

Sorry,getting offtopic
    Irish local authorities have a really bad habit of ignoring the signmaking rulebook.
    See Poor Road Signage Pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭walshs3

I presume report to gardai - though i not sure i could get very far as it would be impossible to prove unless in cities where there is cctv.
    Shame!
    Eh,dont think that would get you very far,i was tailgated by a garda traffic corps car the other night(2 o clock in the morning,coming home from work).The road on which it happened is about a five mile straight road so he would have had no problem overtaking me.The speed limit was 80kph and thats what i was doing.i ended up indicating off to a side road which was a lit up part of the road.it was here i seen it was a traffic corps car.Now i have absolutely nothing against the guards but if this continues i might just change my mind.must say it really pis*ed me off :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So i guess i can see the point of someone who would tailgate out of pure frustration but at the same time flashing lights and giving the finger is just ridiculous.
    WTF is the point of tailgating either way? People rarely drive faster when people tailgate them and you're just looking to cause an accident trying it.
    Its easy to demonize people for tailgating, but if it is constantly happening to you then maybe your driving style is the problem. Yes you may not be breaking the rules of the road and you may be "sticking to the limit" etc but in the real world the majority of people exceed the speed limit, mostly in a safe and controlled manner..
    It doesn't matter what normally happens some people don't want to go over the speed limit. Tough **** if you get stuck behind them, tailgating doesn't help at all.
    Dont get your back up if you end up holding these people up and they sit on your ass..
    Ditto, don't get annoyed just cause someone doesn't want to drive as fast as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I agree persistent tailgating is wrong however I think there are circumstances where short bursts are necessary. Common eg on 2 lane motorway where say you are doing 120km/hr- you are fast approaching two cars in front one doing say 100 and the other 90. The one doing 100 decides to overtake just after you have indicated to do the same so now you have to brake strongly. Obviously they should have looked in the rear view mirror and see the faster approaching car behind them. But even you can live with that. The really frustrating thing is when they wont pull back in straight away because they want to leave a safe distance on their inside ahead of the 90km/hr car - their interpretation of a safe distance being 2 - 3 kms! I think in this case a short burst of tailgating is necessary/ or the odd flash of the lights.

(As an aside if you want to see what every possible example of diabolical driving standards in the country - the N7 is the place to be! The amount of times when on the inside lane I have to cross out to the outside lane just to pass someone crawling on the middle lane)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You could tap the brakes so the lights come on but the car doesn't slow, that might make them back off a bit.
    Idiotic driving.

No i dont tailgate but everytime i drive anywhere i end up getting stuck behind some "driving miss daisy" type who tips along at 40kph with a clear road ahead of them.. and then don't notice when the speed limit increases to 60 etc..

I never said i was constantly being tailgated, just noticed alot it recently and there isn't anything wrong with my driving style. I'm definitely not a "driving miss daisy" type or rally driver - just responsible.
    I drive a renault megane coupe with a full clean licence. I'm not in the over taking lane when i'm tailgated and i do pull over for anyone where possible.
    It is just those ignorant idiots that insist on sitting on my a*sre to give them a bit of a power trip or a buzz etc that bother me. I'm amazed by the your comments of real world - how is speeding done in a safe and controlled manner without a high risk of danger?

• Advertisement

walshs3 wrote: »
    Eh,dont think that would get you very far,i was tailgated by a garda traffic corps car the other night(2 o clock in the morning,coming home from work).The road on which it happened is about a five mile straight road so he would have had no problem overtaking me.The speed limit was 80kph and thats what i was doing.i ended up indicating off to a side road which was a lit up part of the road.it was here i seen it was a traffic corps car.Now i have absolutely nothing against the guards but if this continues i might just change my mind.must say it really pis*ed me off :mad::mad:
    Bit of a catch 22 here, at that time of the morning as a lot of the drivers are leaving pubs/clubs etc, some may be pushing their luck!
    These are easy to spot!!!! because they tend to stick to the limit...(guilty conscience).
    That's why they tailed you - waiting for the drunken slipup!!
    If you just drive normally (limit +10%) the police would completely ignore you, they don't realistically expect you to "work to rule" with speed limits late at night - have an accident! well that's a different story!

I notice quite a few doing the limit when I was coming into work early @6:30AM new years day (any other morning everyone is doing the limit +10% or so - between queues!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement