Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tailgating?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

DubLegs wrote: »
    The N7 is the road i'm mainly referring to as i do that DUB-Limerick drive at least 3 weekends a month - some drivers are horrific on it.
    So much so that New Years Day driving back - i was panicking about a car behind me, I couldn't pull in for the shear fact that i would not have gotten back out into the traffic it was that heavy. I mean if the road was clear ahead of me i'd gladly move over to let the car pass but it wasn't. Why some ppl insist on sitting on my backside (pretty as it is), i'll never understand.
    I do the N7 two to three times a month, nothing worse than a train of cars stuck behind someone who hasn't the courtesy to pull in a bit to the hard shoulder for a few seconds and let these cars overtake. I hope you are not one of these culprits, I also hope you are not the same breed that keeps your rear fog lights on at the same time. The N7 is full of hard shoulders from Mountrath to Limerick except for the botched up Nenagh bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't get tailgated so much. If you are being tailgated a lot, you might need to look at your own driving, in particular, your lane behavior.

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't get tailgated so much. If you are being tailgated a lot, you might need to to look at your own driving, in particular, your lane behavior.

Yes, I came up behind someone recently who after overtaking a line of slower cars on the dual carriageway stayed in the RH lane, I was two seconds behind him (before someone says "tailgator") I then wanted to overtake him but be refused to move over even after a couple of flashes.
    In the end I went the wrong side of him, cars following me had to do the same!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Halfdog wrote: »
    I do the N7 two to three times a month, nothing worse than a train of cars stuck behind someone who hasn't the courtesy to pull in a bit to the hard shoulder for a few seconds and let these cars overtake. I hope you are not one of these culprits, I also hope you are not the same breed that keeps your rear fog lights on at the same time. The N7 is full of hard shoulders from Mountrath to Limerick except for the botched up Nenagh bypass.

I agree with you about the above but i'm not one of those people - definitely not, i have no problem whatsoever to move over. As for fog lights, i definitley only use them when needs be.

Lads i was looking for a bit of advice on reporting tailgating, definitely not looking for a attack on my driving style, as i personally dont' see a problem. AS per previous posts i believe I am correct in my speed and behaviour, i move over where possible and don't sit in the wrong lanes to annoy ppl. Seems it's hard for ppl to accept that there are actually others that just prefer to intimidate other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Surely this tailgating business occurs quite often if you go to trouble to post a thread on it? - I obey the speed limits and rarely come across tailgaters. I am not sure what its like in Dublin but its not so bad in Cork/Kerry if you drive at upto the correct limit or anywhere reasonable (50mph+ on 60mph limit).

But I do come across these idiots driving at 30mph, slowing down to 15/20mph on bends. Now in my opinion these drivers are just as dangerous as the tailgaters. I bet if everyone drove properly at a reasonable speed, there wouldn't be half the tail backs and the number of crashes would be reduced. It is a lot more dangerous to be driving in between a tail of cars rather than driving happily out in the open with room at a responsible speed. The gap will widen between cars and won't be so dodgy. And then you will find some impatient idiot trying to pass out about 5 cars at once with no where to pull in if they get caught and more than likely another idiot will see this idiot and then attempt the same so you will end up with more cars on the wrong side of the road with no where to pull in as everyone so close in the tail. Sorry about my ranting.

• Advertisement

Lads i was looking for a bit of advice on reporting tailgating, .
    tbh, you got answer in the first two replies.
    Report them for "Driving without reasonable consideration" 2 points.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/driving_offences.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 skodacbradio

walshs3 wrote: »
    Eh,dont think that would get you very far,i was tailgated by a garda traffic corps car the other night(2 o clock in the morning,coming home from work).The road on which it happened is about a five mile straight road so he would have had no problem overtaking me.The speed limit was 80kph and thats what i was doing.i ended up indicating off to a side road which was a lit up part of the road.it was here i seen it was a traffic corps car.Now i have absolutely nothing against the guards but if this continues i might just change my mind.must say it really pis*ed me off :mad::mad:

That has to be the worst I used to get tailgated alot when I was a Provo driver and had the L plates up but since I passed really has dropped off alot, but the gaurd's are the worst for it either day or night.I was driving all of the outer ring road in waterford the other night and not once did they overtake me and its dual carraige, had to stick to 40mph all the way, where is the sense in them been about a foot from my back door or the stupid 40' as well, I thought dual carraiges are 62' though do I do 60' just to be on the safe side, anyone will tell you could do 70' easily on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I'm amazed by the your comments of real world - how is speeding done in a safe and controlled manner without a high risk of danger?

Doing 60km/h in a 50km/h zone is not speeding.. You need to re-evaluate your concept of speeding ignoring the stupidly low speeding limits that are posted (but rarely enforced) in this country..

For instance i was driving home the other night and was doing about 80km/h on 60km/h stretch of road (dock road limerick after the cross over). The road was wide and clear with only a couple of other cars. I was driving behind a Garda car doing the same speed. A good driver will match their speed to their conditions... in this instance it was safer and more efficient to go at 80km/h.
    If i did 60 then a trail of cars would soon build up behind me and i would be holding up the flow and putting other drivers lives at risk.

Sometimes i drive out to west Clare and some of the small narrow back roads have 100km/h speed limits on them yet i will typically stay at 60km/h because this is a more appropriate speed in the circumstance (tight corners, bad visibility etc)..

Ignore the rubbish coming from the RSA about speeding giving you aids and killing babies etc.. A good driver will rely on their own skill and common sense to adjust their speed. If everyone on the road did this we wouldn't need speed limits.

Orange69 wrote: »
    You need to re-evaluate your concept of speeding ignoring the stupidly low speeding limits that are posted (but rarely enforced) in this country...
    There's some element of truth there..
    I know of at least one case in the UK where a road had it's speed limit reduced from the "national speed limit" (60mph - but no signs) to 40mph, accident rate doubled!

Cause: before the limit was imposed the average speed along that road were 35mph on average, after 42mph. Most experienced drivers are able to drive at a safe speed without being prompted by signs - in this instance the signs gave a false sense of security into it being safe to go at 40+a bit mph.
    Speeding on it's own is not a real issue, inappropiate speed IS, Incorrect speed limits can make roads more dangerous rather than safer.
    Setting limits too low increases the risk of crashes caused by frustrated motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Orange69 wrote: »
    For instance i was driving home the other night and was doing about 80km/h on 60km/h stretch of road (dock road limerick after the cross over). The road was wide and clear with only a couple of other cars. I was driving behind a Garda car doing the same speed.

A regular squad car in this situation can not do you for speeding as they have no evidence.
    However many Garda will setup speed checks in these areas in order to meet quotas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thread locked at OPs request - original Q answered!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement