Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cistern handle problem

Options
  • 05-01-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what I am doing wrong here...

My toilet handle broke and so I am trying to replace it (previously a push down, my friend twisted it once too often :rolleyes:).

It's a low volume cistern, quite close to the corner of the room, and I just can't seem to fit the handle properly.
    I bought the correct size handle, and attached it as instructed and it still won't fit on properly.

Excuse the cistern pictures, but probably the only way to illustrate my problem.

It sits like so:

http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08016/Image021.jpg

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs323&d=08016&f=Image022.jpg

When I try to flush, it just does this:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs323&d=08016&f=Image023.jpg

It seems to be, that there's nothing holding the outside handle straight, so it just flaps about as there's nothing securing it. But I used everything that came with the packet correctly, and turned the plastic nut as far it will go.

What am I doing wrong? Is something missing? Do I need a washer or something between the cistern and the outside handle? Have I some weird foreign toilet?

:(

I'm normally OK at this stuff, but I seem to be doing something terribly wrong on a supposedly simple task. This has me driven round the (U) bend.
    All help very, very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

A quick guess would be the link is two long?

Did you use the original link between the handle lever and the top of the plastic piston (can't think of a better name) or is this new link the wrong size.

Bend the link you have so that when the handle and lever are level the link is just long enough to reach the top of the plastic piston.

But there should be a "washer/bush" (name again) that screws to the cistern that the handle goes though, from what I can see you have'nt put it trough the cistern. Undo the nut on the white plastic thread, take the handle out, then put it back throught the hole and put the nut back on to hold it in place, then check the lenght of the link. Might be the washer/bush is too small but it looks like it should just fit OK.

Second thoughts link should be OK once the washer/bush is fitted corectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Thanks for the reply ttm. :)

Do you mean if I turn the white 'nut' type thing around and screw it from the outside it should help? Sorry to sound daft but what would hold the handle to the cistern on the inside then? I feel as if there's a part missing on the outside, as you say a washer/bush that holds the handle in place on the outside. Maybe I'm missing a part?

I see what you mean about the link wire thing being too long...

I'll give it another try with your advice ttm and let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The white threaded bush around the shiny shaft ( http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs323&d=08016&f=Image022.jpg ) doesnt look like it will with your cistern , the hole on your cistern is too big/its too small. Could you use that part from the old handle instead or is it broken ?

No it didn't have one as it was a push down plastic handle. Instead of a washer on the outside it was sort of balanced within the hole on a ball shaped thing.

Great vocab here, sorry!

But yes, I don't see how putting it the other way round would work... Back to the plumbing shop maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

At a guess, I'd say that plastic threaded part with the nut on it is actually two parts screwed together, i.e. you need to unscrew the nut part off, re-insert the threaded part (which will have a bit of a bush on it) from the outside of the cistern and screw the nut back onto it from the inside.

Here's a photo of mine, with the nut unscrewed to give you an idea of what I'm on about.

• Advertisement

Dodgy drawing , might help :

kittex wrote: »
    No it didn't have one as it was a push down plastic handle. Instead of a washer on the outside it was sort of balanced within the hole on a ball shaped thing.

To allow for that setup the hole in the front of your cistern is bigger than normal , it looks like you can solve it easily though .

You just need to get a second nut for the threaded white part . Take it apart again and put the white part in from the outside of the cistern ( leave the white part together as it is in the pictures )

Now put on the second nut from the inside to hold it in place .

Second nut you need to get is arrowed in stolen pic below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Alun's picture explains it well. If you can't put yours together the same way then somethings missing (be rare for hole to be too big) don't be too worried about the big black washer in Alun's picture as you don't actually need it.

So if we break it down we have 4 main parts which you need to separate to get it all to work.

1) Lever link - probablay the right lenght.

2) Lever - what plastic fits on the square handle shaft held on with locking screw.

3) Handle - includes a square shaft with a round section that fits in bush

4) Handle bushing - a nut + optional washers and a threaded section which is fitted first form the outside.

Edit - note parts 3 and 4 may not separate the important thing is to take off the nut.

So with it all taken apart (nut must come off the bushs thread - did I mention that before!!!) push the threaded bit into the hole from the outside then put on the nut from the inside (use washers if provided)when the nut is tightened up the bush should be locked solid inside the hole. Then assemble as you had it all before.

Edit - Sorry bushy... seems to have beaten me to it and already explained it.

Right... took it all apart again and it doesn't work.

The white 'spiral' part on the handle, won't screw up to the top like in Alun's picture.
    It's stuck solid (by the manufacturers not me!).
    So this still leaves the good cm gap between the handle and the cistern and the same problem continues...

This is now driving me mental. Absolutley mental.

Right, having done all that again, and realised had it on 'right' the frst time, my conclusion is that the hole for the handle on my cistern appears to be larger than average...

It does not fit like Alun's pic or the others I've seen at all, with the hole on the cistern seeming much larger in porportion to the 'inner spiral bit'.

Bushy the washer you're pointing to in that pic is present on mine. I think you were right the first time in mentioning size, although a second outside washer might address that.

Back to the plumber's shop on Monday.

Thanks folks!

• Advertisement

The scribble below is kinda what i was thinking of , a second nut would be better than a washer , it will take up the difference between the hole and threaded bush.

Blue = new nut
    Purple = nut on the threaded yoke at the minute.
    Red = threaded yoke.

hth

Advertisement