Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery bag of cat poo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Seb, cats dont poo in the grass or on paths etc, they bury it. So long as your grandkids are not digging up your flower bed there shouldn't be a problem. I know it can be a nuisence but we ALL have things to put up with that we would prefer not to. (noisy dogs, neighbours partys, kids throwing their wrappers in your lawn etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

PLAN TO GET NEIGHBOUR BACK

ITEMS NEEDED: bag of poo, a pair of gloves and a roll of kitchen roll.
    6 Pack of beer and cigar.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1 Wait until night fall
    2 Go into neighbours drive way and to drivers side of car
    3 Put gloves on
    4 Get Cat poo from bag and smear under the car door handle
    5 Clean off dirt from where it is obvious to see
    6 Sneak home, Drink beers and smoke cigar in celebration...

Quality wrote: »
    PLAN TO GET NEIGHBOUR BACK

ITEMS NEEDED: bag of poo, a pair of gloves and a roll of kitchen roll.
    6 Pack of beer and cigar.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1 Wait until night fall
    2 Go into neighbours drive way and to drivers side of car
    3 Put gloves on
    4 Get Cat poo from bag and smear under the car door handle
    5 Clean off dirt from where it is obvious to see
    6 Sneak home, Drink beers and smoke cigar in celebration...

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Seb, cats dont poo in the grass or on paths etc, they bury it.

Actually they will, I don't have lawn in my front garden anymore partly because of neighbours cats using it as a litter box. Said cats have now moved 3 doors down to a nice lush lawn where I regularly see them attempting to bury their poop in the grass.

Also, two of my own cats would never ever consider burying theirs, no matter where they happened to go.

I think it's terribly sad that people feel they can't let their own kids or grandkids enjoy their garden because their neighbours are too lazy to take responsibility for their pets.

Really??? I never knew that. I honestly thought thay buried it, in fact I'm wondering if these particular cats were taken from their mother very young? Anyway thats besides the point.

When we moved our new garden had two large plant beds with you know the soft wood chippings, i think it's called mulch. Well my two cats were delighted! They get out in the morning, head up the back, spend 20 mins digging and burying then toddle back in. I cant guarantee they dont go in others gardens but I know they prefer to use their usual spot. Maybe if you tried that op? A large area at the back of you garden with those wood chippings or light soil. You can plant hardy alpine plants which wont die from the cat leavings and they will more than likely be only too delighted to use it. Just be careful when you're gardening :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

Nope not all cat bury according to the behaviourist girl, a bolder cat will poo and leave for other cats to smell, the more nervous cat may bury as he does not want other cats to know his area. (I think that is what she said)
    Can only speak and learn from my own experience and the neighbours cats that now use my decking poo and go, nothing has deterred them.
    I don't see why anyone should have to accommodate a toilet facility for someone else cats either. I don't knock on the door come into their lounge and take a dump on their carpet ! As an animal lover I am finding I have an end to my tether, no amount of advice sinks in as it seems that's what cat do and it's cruel to keep them in, I know where I would like to stick the cat poo, I don't blame the cats either but the owner!!!! Now where does she leave her shoes :cool:
    Helen I think I am a tolerant guy, live and let live, but when my 2 year old grandson comes in covered in cat ****, THAT IS AN OTHER MATTER. Our wee guy fought hard to be here (another matter) I am NOT having him ill through cat ****, and yes he is supervised in the garden, which should be ONE area he can play without HARM.

BTW I also have out door trays in the run and find them sturdy and durable, the only time they are a pain is when the high winds blew the rain into them, but thankfully that has not happened to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Arcadian wrote: »
    They're called outdoor litter trays, the clue is in the name;)

you didn't say outdoor litter tray you said put a litter tray outside. I've never heard of an outdoor litter tray ok so I didn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Even if cats bury their excrement, it's not good to have it in your garden. Plenty of people like to introduce children to growing their own food by giving them a little bed in the garden to grow a few carrots and radishes and things.

It's not going to be a good introduction to gardening - not to mention healthy - if a small child then gets poo on her hands, bursts into tears. wipes her eyes with her pooey hands, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

luckat wrote: »

It's not going to be a good introduction to gardening - not to mention healthy - if a small child then gets poo on her hands, bursts into tears. wipes her eyes with her pooey hands, etc.

how sensitive are these kids? My Grandad ran a scrap yard and my best memories as kids was running, jumping, climbing over crap in that yard with my cousins [lots of cousins] I to this day have scares on my knees from that yard and we climbed the massive tree in the middle of it and made mud pies at the bottom and crawled around in the grass playing soldiers. When my mum started growing peas we'd all help out dragging bags of soil around and spreading it around with our hands. I got covered in muck and grass and bugs and loved ever minute of it.

It always sems that whenever such a post is made that the folks objecting to the cat $hit are made to feel like the ones in the wrong :confused:
    Does it matter how sensative the kids are? Is it so wrong to NOT want my 2 YO grandson covered in cat poo, or worse putting it in his mouth, all which can be avoided! by people keeping their cats in or building a run.
    I am not going into my GS health on a public board suffice to say we are lucky to have him and yes some precautions are needed, but at 2 years old those precautions are standard. I well remeber the days when I also came back home from a hard days play, covered in good honest mud, but not at 2 years old, I hope that my grandson can regale such stories to his own children. The point is I do not want cat **** in my garden nor do I want to be percieved by my neighbours as some crank for asking them to have consideration for others.
    We don't wrap our grandchildren in cotton wool, we make educated informed choices re their saftey cat $hit being one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is a product called "get off". Its supposed to stop cats crapping in an area. I presume its ok with kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Everything poos. There's poo everywhere. The soil in your garden is basically worm poo. Lots of animals probably poo in your garden without you knowing.

There are ways of deterring animals from using your garden - some have been suggested already and discussed on other threads in this forum - squirting them with water etc. I don't think it's fair to target cat owners - they can't be trained or controlled as easily as dogs and other pets.

Why is it not fair to target the source of the problem, I agree that some cats owners cat be trained as easily as dogs or other pets owners ;)

I am a multi cat owner, I built a run end off.......I have paving, no worms as yet have soiled on, through they may be planning a worm taking over with small pneumatic drills. I have decking no worms there then only cat $hit.
    Why is it such an issue to keep your cats indoors out our gardens and then we can all live happily side by side :cool:
    I should not need to deter someone else's responsibility I.E pet from ****ting in my back yard as I do not go and $hit in theirs. I really can't see an argument here for allowing cats out deliberately to roam, causing accidents, getting injured and POOING in our gardens. Though out of sight out of mind may be appropriate.
    Seb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Really??? I never knew that. I honestly thought thay buried it, in fact I'm wondering if these particular cats were taken from their mother very young? Anyway thats besides the point.

When we moved our new garden had two large plant beds with you know the soft wood chippings, i think it's called mulch. Well my two cats were delighted! They get out in the morning, head up the back, spend 20 mins digging and burying then toddle back in. I cant guarantee they dont go in others gardens but I know they prefer to use their usual spot. Maybe if you tried that op? A large area at the back of you garden with those wood chippings or light soil. You can plant hardy alpine plants which wont die from the cat leavings and they will more than likely be only too delighted to use it. Just be careful when you're gardening :D

Yup they do.. My (nice) neighbours cats have pooped on our back lawn a few times... right beside the kids' slide :( They also like to "spray" my plants and flowers. I have used one of those deterrant sprays and they did seem to come in the garden less frequently. The ultimate deterrant would of course be a dog :p

Ok, I've been converted. Can anybody please give me some cat enclosure ideas and also some ways to help them settle into having their area so restricted. Does anyone know a way of forcing them to stay in the garden?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Kittenadoption.ie have links to various sites showing safe outdoor enclosures.
    Zooplus.ie also sell fencing for keeping your cats in your own garden.

Thanks Arcadian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I actually do have an outdoor cat loo, well its in indoor one from argos but it has a roof and a flap so i assume its grand outdoors. I also have a kittie house which is bassically a small dog kennel with a flap on it. I got that at the pet superstore place in Blanch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Under the law an owner is not responsible for ANYTHING a cat may do-I find it amusing that even THEY recognise the temperament of our feline friends!
    Dog owners beware-same does NOT apply!
    I'm an advocate for keeping cats in and my own have lived both ways,depending on where we lived and how safe it was for them to have free access to outdoors.At the moment it's not safe for them to go out(fast road,greyhound kennels)so until a secure run is built they have their own bedroom.As long as they get their cuddle time there's no complaints.
    1" weldmesh is the best but don't forget they can climb so it has to be 100% enclosed to be effective!
    Once you've spent the 1000 or so it will cost you then you'll have the eternal thanks of those sweet neighbours whose communication style is so imaginative-and anyone who can think of a way to stop the birds doing it in his garden might even get a Christmas card from him and ALL the copraphobes on this forum and elsewhere.
    First thing every parent and animal lover learns - it washes off you know!
    Was I the only one taught to wash my hands...?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What type of a garden do you have? We have 3 cats, no litter tray, but there is plenty of places in the garden for them to go. I put in compost etc. If your garden is just paved, with no area for your cats to go then you have to put in a litter tray.

In a post above you are more or less stating "guffaw sure what can I do about it .. they're cats, they'll poo".
    Saruman wrote: »
    So question is now.. who the hell leaves a bag of cat poo outside someone's house and what do they expect me to do with it? I threw it in the bin but its very odd... A note would have been nice. Jaysus :rolleyes:

I'll tell you one thing, and from a cat owner, you cannot expect non animal lovers to put up with your cats faeces on their flower beds, in their childs sand pits, digging up their plants etc!! All becuase you don't provide any alternative, becuase you stop having a litter tray in the house.

I think its a warning from your neighbour to be more responsible and provide the facilities your animal needs. And lets face it, if you did you wouldn't be getting **** left in plastic bags on your door step from pissed off neighbours. And like I said - we have 3 cats ourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

My friend's Grandfather used to complain all the time about cats using his back garden as a toilet......then someone told him a little trick.

Get yourself a 2ltr plastic bottle and half fill it with water....then just leave it lying on your grass and (according to Grandpa) the cats would not come into your garden to poo.

I have no idea if this works, but the old guy swore by it and said it ended his cat poo troubles......then again if I remember, he was a bit mad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Under the law an owner is not responsible for ANYTHING a cat may do

Ah yeah, but there is no law stating you HAVE to be a nice neighbour!

I would just get a large litter tray if my garden was paved to stop my cat crapping in my neighbours gardens. They are nice people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Saruman wrote: »
    Well if it was the flaming bag then they were too stupid. It was clear plastic which would just melt leaving poo :D It would have had to be a paper bag.

You sound like an expert on that one! :D We now know how Saruman filled his bored days!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You sound like an expert on that one! :D We now know how Saruman filled his bored days!! :D:D:D

:rolleyes: Thems were the days - in my day it was newspaper, not plastic bags.

Advertisement