Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6.1 Home Cinema Upgrade

• 05-01-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade from my sony 5.1 ddw790 and I'm wondering is anyone has any opinions on a nice(&cheap) set of 6.1 surround speaker to work with the following system Sony STR-DB790

The plan is to find a package of 5 surround speakers then replace the two front speakers with some from an old stereoSony CHC TB20, then using the two front speakers as surround sides and then using one of the redundant rear surrounds as my centre rear. Does this sound feasible? Can I mix and match from a stereo system?

I'm looking at these for theKenwood 5200HT for 5 of the speakers.

As a sub, I was thinking of something under €100 on pixmania

Does anyone have an opinion on any of these, or suggest something a more appropriate in or around the same price range?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Anyway, bought a receiver yesterday, got a 7.1:D Sony STR DB795 on ebay for €180. Seems to be a nice piece of kit.

The next stage is too find speakers for the system. I had an earlier question about transplanting speakers from my old stereo but that doesn't look like it's going to work:(. I found out that the receiver runs at 4 or 8 ohms, 8ohms being a better setting, but if you select 8 ohm and plug in a speaker rated less than 8 ohms(my stereo is 6ohm), you're going to get a blown speaker. I could always set it to 4 and use the stereo speakers but I'd rather go the whole hog and get the best I can from it.

Now my question is where do I find cheap(probably second hand) but decent 8ohm speakers...:confused: I guess ebay, adverts and buy&sell will be getting regular visits. I'm new to the audio side of home entertainment, so if anyone can offer any advice it'd be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

It's all coming together quite nicely now. Secured a 5.1 set of Sony SA-VE835ED, they're an old set up but were very good in their day. They're 8ohm speakers too:D so it should all fit together nicely.

Gonna have to put an end to my upgrading for a good while now though(the bank man wouldn't like me to go for 7.1 just yet), but these new toys deserve a nice new space to occupy so I'm going to convert an empty bedroom to a new AV room. If it turns out to be an interesting project I'll update on the HE DIY board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭stewiegriffin08

yis lucky bastars :)

Advertisement