Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playoff preditions

• 05-01-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭

I'll stick me head on the block

Wild card weekend:

Washington @ Seattle - Seattle win (Seattle too strong at home)
    Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh - Jacksonville win (Good form and strong running from the Jags, Steelers have terrible form entering playoffs and no Willie Parker at running back)

NY Giants @ Tampa Bay - Just fancy the Giants to win it, but haven't seen enough of Tampa to be honest. Giants repeat their good performance last week and win.
    Tennessee @ San Diego - Could go either way, with Young doubtful, I'll give the Chargers the edge.

Divisional Weekend
    Seattle @ Green Bay - Again tight enough, but Packers have enough at Lambeau
    Jacksonville @ New England - Patriots get another fright, but they pull it out again late in the fourth quarter:(, after the Jags eat up lots of clock on them.

San Diego @ Indianapolis - Colts get revenge for that crazy game they should never have lost in the regular season. Vinitieri actually lives up to his 'clutch kicker' reputation.
    NY Giants @ Dallas - Dallas continue their poor form, but just about take New York. If it weren't in Texas I just wouldn't give it to the Cowboys.

AFC Championship game
    Indianapolis @ New England - Another nail biting game with the Colts staging another late comeback. I fear controversy won't be far away from this game, and the Patriots wrestle back the crown from my Colts.

NFC Championship game
    Green Bay @ Dallas - Green bay win, and a fairytale story is set up as Farve returns to the Superbowl. Dallas seem to have peaked too early in the year.

Superbowl XLII
    Green Bay Packers vs New England Patriots - the world and his wife outside Boston (& Chicago:D) are willing Farve and The Pack on. But it's a reversal of Superbowl XXXI, as the Patriots win pretty easily in the end.

Let's see how we get on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wild card weekend:

Washington @ Seattle - Redskins on an emotional roll
    Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh - Jacksonville: Parker is a big loss

NY Giants @ Tampa Bay - Bucs for me. Giants are great on the road, but this is the play-offs.
    Tennessee @ San Diego - Titans have lost two receiving threats. Chargers playing their best lately, to win.

Divisional Weekend
    Tampa Bay @ Green Bay - A blowout for the Pack
    Jacksonville @ New England - Jags have the running game to exploit the Pats' only weakness. Jags to pull off the surprise of the year.

San Diego @ Indianapolis - With LT playing the way he is lately, the Chargers can steal it, but it's close.
    Washington @ Dallas - Cowboys have gone off the boil; Redskins playing with supercharged emotion to take it.

AFC Championship game
    Jacksonville @ San Diego - Extremely hard-fought encounter. Jags' one-two punch to swing it, possibly with a last second FG.

NFC Championship game
    Washington @ Green Bay - A game too far for the Redskins. Weather might be a factor, but Green Bay win either way.

Superbowl XLII
    Green Bay Packers vs Jacksonville Jaguars - Packers have a the running game, passing game, defence and special teams to win, but not by much.

MVP: Ryan Grant

Thanks to Arthur for the formatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

Wild card weekend:
    Washington @ Seattle - Seattle
    Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh - Jacksonville

NY Giants @ Tampa Bay - New York
    Tennessee @ San Diego - San Diego

Divisional Weekend
    Seattle @ Green Bay - Seattle
    Jacksonville @ New England - New England

San Diego @ Indianapolis - Indianapolis
    NY Giants @ Dallas - New York

AFC Championship game
    Indianapolis @ New England - New England

NFC Championship game
    New York @ Seattle - Seattle

Superbowl XLII
    Seattle Seahawks vs New England Patriots - New England Patriots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Wild card weekend:
    Washington @ Seattle - Redskins
    Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh - Jaguars

NY Giants @ Tampa Bay - New York
    Tennessee @ San Diego - San Diego

Divisional Weekend
    Giants @ Green Bay - Packers
    Jacksonville@ Patriots - Patriots

Chargers @ Colts - Colts
    Redskins @ Cowboys - Cowboys

AFC Championship game
    Colts @ Patriots - Colts

NFC Championship game
    Packers @ Dallas - Dallas

Superbowl XLII
    Cowboys vs Colts - Colts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭walt colman

Wild card weekend:
    Washington @ Seattle - Already decided - Seattle
    Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh - Already decided - Jacksonville

NY Giants @ Tampa Bay - Bucs at home should do it, plus mini-Manning unlikely to have two good games in a row.
    Tennessee @ San Diego - Chargers.

Divisional Weekend
    Seattle @ Green Bay - Green Bay, late touchdown pass by Favre will give them 10 pint win.
    Jacksonville @ New England - Jags not that impressive over steelers - Pats by a comfortable 14+.

San Diego @ Indianapolis - Tough game but Charges use LT to control the clock and win by touchdown or less.
    Tampa @ Dallas - Cowboys get their act together and have a good win.

AFC Championship game
    Chargers @ New England - Tough first half, Pats pull away for confortable win in second half. Phill Rivers talks trash all during game, cries like a baby at the end (just like last season) :)

NFC Championship game
    Green Bay @ Dallas - High scoring first half by both teams, things get messy in second and GB take lead early in 4q and hold on to win.

Superbowl XLII
    Green Bay Packers vs Patriots - Pats win 35 - 21

MVP: who else - Tom Brady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Wild card weekend:
    Washington @ Seattle - Already decided - Seattle
    Jacksonville @ Pittsburgh - Already decided - Jacksonville

NY Giants @ Tampa Bay - Bucs at home should do it, plus mini-Manning unlikely to have two good games in a row.
    Tennessee @ San Diego - Chargers.

Divisional Weekend
    Seattle @ Green Bay - Green Bay, late touchdown pass by Favre will give them 10 pint win.
    Jacksonville @ New England - Jags not that impressive over steelers - Pats by a comfortable 14+.

San Diego @ Indianapolis - Tough game but Charges use LT to control the clock and win by touchdown or less.
    Tampa @ Dallas - Cowboys get their act together and have a good win.

AFC Championship game
    Chargers @ New England - Tough first half, Pats pull away for confortable win in second half. Phill Rivers talks trash all during game, cries like a baby at the end (just like last season) :)

NFC Championship game
    Green Bay @ Dallas - High scoring first half by both teams, things get messy in second and GB take lead early in 4q and hold on to win.

Superbowl XLII
    Green Bay Packers vs Patriots - Pats win 35 - 21

MVP: who else - Tom Brady

I agree with those predictions. Altho i would love the chargers to dance all over centrefield if we do manage to meet and then beat the patriots

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote: »
    I agree with those predictions. Altho i would love the chargers to dance all over centrefield if we do manage to meet and then beat the patriots

Indeed, the chargers would be perfectly entitled to do so!! To the victor go the spoils. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

would seattle be the dark horses to go all the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

After tonight, there is no doubt in my mind the AFC will come down to Colts/Pats.

NFC is a bit trickier to tell. Dallas have to be favourites against the Giants, the packers game a little trickier to call.

But I'm gonna stick to my original post: the 13+ winning teams are too far ahead of the rest (particularly in the AFC) to not meet each other. I hope it goes this way too. Having the 4 best teams in the last 4 makes for a great spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Indeed, the chargers would be perfectly entitled to do so!! To the victor go the spoils. :)

True True but if they want to dance on the Pats logo as the Pats danced on the Lightning they would have to do it in the endzone instead of centrefield :p:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Divisional Weekend
    Seattle @ Green Bay - Gonna go with Green Bay by less than 7. This game should be a cracker.
    Jacksonville @ New England - Think the running game that the Jags have will make it tough for the Pats. Think they'll scrape through with a one touchdown win.

San Diego @ Indianapolis - Think Manning will run this game easily. Can see the Colts winning by at least 14 points.
    NY @ Dallas - I think the Cowboys should win but if TO isn't back I really wouldn't be surprised with a Giants shock win. With TO no chance for the Giants.

AFC Championship game
    Indianapolis @ New England - Think this will be one very good game. Think the Pats will have just too much and pull away with a Brady to Moss TD in the 4th quarter.
    NFC Championship game
    Green Bay @ Dallas - Cracking game from both sides.Brett Favre to finally win a game in Dallas and Green Bay to go to the Bowl with a one TD win:D

Superbowl XLII
    Green Bay Packers vs Patriots - Patriots to once again pull away at the end and win by two touchdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Divisional Playoffs (opening spreads from paddypower)

AFC

Jax @ NE (-13)

Jax to cover and lose. Even though Jax are not a team built to come from behind, NE will take an early lead and then ease off....

SD Indy (-8.5)

SD to cover and lose. I thought they were pretty awful last night. Their excellent turnover ratio allows them to keep it close. Gates potentially a big loss. LT needs to do it from the start.

NFC

Sea @ GB (-8)

No running game for Sea. GB have execellent corners, so passing game becomes more difficult. GB strong at home in playoffs, Sea weak away.

GB to cover and win.

NY @ Dal (-7.5)

NY to cover and lose. TO a doubt. Jacobs a good player and Bradshaw impressed against TB. I think both QBs crumble and it comes down to INTs and the run game.

AFC Championship (my own predicted spreads)

Indy @ NE (-4)

NE to cover and win.

NFC Championship (my own predicted spreads)

GB @ Dal (Dal @ -3)

GB to cover and win.

Superbowl

GB @ NE (-8)

GB to cover and............lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

would agree with a lot of predictions here, but the only one that pops up regualarily that I dont is GB to beat Dallas away (sorry to all the cheeseheads!) The Packers have had a huge season, and its great to see it with such a young team marshalled by a wise and old leader. But their record away in Dallas is really bad, and while Dallas may have stutered into the playoffs a bit, it was no more than GB, and I just hink if the NFC game goes to Dallas, they will come out with the win.

Feel free to knock me down lads, especially if Green Bay end up beating Dallas there! (and even moreso if ye beat the Pats in a SB!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Well the Playoffs are here.everything as expected in the wildcard so predictions for week 19:

Jaguars @ Patriots - although the Jags have the running game i cant see them stopping Brady and Moss from making it 17-0.Patriots to win (although it pains me to agains my beloved Jaguars)

Chargers @ Colts - not much to say.easy win for the colts in my opinion.chargers without gates and with LT off the boil, colts with possible return of harrison.....'nuff said

Seahawks @ Packers - NFC is so much harder to call.i really think we could see an upset for the Seahawks.shaun alexander is coming back to form and i think brett favre just doesnt have it in him to take the Packers further.

Giants @ Cowboys - Eli manning having a good last 2 games.seems like its about time for a bad one.although if the cowboys have a misfiring Romo and a not fully fit TO then maybe the Giants can pull it off.but i still think Cowboys will take this one

Updated predictions:

Divisional Weekend
    Seattle @ Green Bay - Seahawks not great on the road; weather could be a factor; Packers win comfortably.

Jacksonville @ New England - Jags have the running game to exploit the Pats' only weakness. Jags to pull off the surprise of the year.

San Diego @ Indianapolis - With LT playing the way he is lately, the Chargers can steal it, but it's close.

New York @ Dallas - Cowboys have gone off the boil; Giants are on a roll. Giants by 3.

AFC Championship game
    Jacksonville @ San Diego - Extremely hard-fought encounter. Jags' one-two punch to swing it, possibly with a last second FG.

NFC Championship game
    New York Giants @ Green Bay - A game too far for the Giants. Weather to take its toll; Green Bay by 15.

Superbowl XLII
    Green Bay Packers vs Jacksonville Jaguars - Packers have a the running game, passing game, defence and special teams to win, but not by much.

Slow coach wrote: »
    Updated predictions:

Superbowl XLII

:) Guess you couldn't bring yourself to say GB would beat the Patriots so you had to have the Jags go to the superbowl where they could be beaten by GB.

I look forward to your updated prediction next week after the Patriots dispatch the Jags. :D

:) Guess you couldn't bring yourself to say GB would beat the Patriots so you had to have the Jags go to the superbowl where they could be beaten by GB.

Somebody's gonna beat the Pats and the Jags are next! :D

(Packers to win out, regardless. Just like I predicted back in September)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yeah... me too*

May not be totally correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

This thread is not exactly covered in glory but at least Slow Coach and DaXIS had New York in the conference game:D

Advertisement