Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ucd climbing wall

Options
  • 05-01-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

just wondering whats you's think,

i was up in ucd climbing for the first time this morning sice they re-routed it and i thought it was deadly. there are more difficult climbs and the routes now are identified by the actual colour of the grips not a little piece of paper behind them so makes them much easier to see!

the route with white and purple gripe on wall Q i will beat you:D:D:D

What do you think of the newly re-routed wall in UCD? 8 votes

much better love it
    0% 0 votes
    havnt been up yet
    62% 5 votes
    dont like it
    37% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I was there this afternoon trying out the boudlering wall. I thinks it better than it was.

You don't climb with a guy called Alan do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I was there this afternoon trying out the boudlering wall. I thinks it better than it was.

You don't climb with a guy called Alan do you?

there where only finishing off the boldering wall yesterday morning when i was there so wasnt on it but the top rope route and the lead climb routes are savage now!!

no dont climb with a guy called alan whys that??

Cos Alan climbs with a guy named Peter. I was just wondering if I knew you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Much easier and clearer to see which route is which on the top roping walls.

Is it just me or are some of the grades on the top roping wall a bit easier than they were? On walls p,q,r grades seem a bit easier?

fergalr wrote: »
    Much easier and clearer to see which route is which on the top roping walls.

Is it just me or are some of the grades on the top roping wall a bit easier than they were? On walls p,q,r grades seem a bit easier?

have you tried the route with the white and purple hand grips on wall q??? thats not easier.

but yeah some of them are and it is much easier cause your not looking for the bit of paper beside the grips:)

and phil my real name is Darren not peter thats just my user name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

have you tried the route with the white and purple hand grips on wall q??? thats not easier.
    Haven't yet, might give it a go friday if it's not too hard for me!

I did a bad job of explaining myself though - what I meant is that there were some routes on those walls that were graded 5b that felt about as hard as what's being graded as 6a now.
    So, I was trying to say that the grades of the climbs on the walls seem a bit easier, rather than the climbs themselves, if that makes sense?

Maybe they're not - amn't much of a climber so don't really know what I'm talking about :-)

fergalr wrote: »
    Haven't yet, might give it a go friday if it's not too hard for me!

I did a bad job of explaining myself though - what I meant is that there were some routes on those walls that were graded 5b that felt about as hard as what's being graded as 6a now.
    So, I was trying to say that the grades of the climbs on the walls seem a bit easier, rather than the climbs themselves, if that makes sense?

Maybe they're not - amn't much of a climber so don't really know what I'm talking about :-)

ah i know what you mean they are say a severe and graded as a v diff?

i cant use that whole 5a, 6c thingy:D the fella out there was telling me on sat that they havnt changec the black board wiht the grades on it yet...

the white and purple one is nice it beat me twice on sat though:mad:

I've just been, the lead wall seems great - lots of interest there. The top rope walls are good too. The vertical maintains an interest (instead of just big easy jug pulling) and the slab is fantastic. Climbed the blue, black + pink and the purple. Couldn't get the last move on the purple - I'd say their graded pretty accuratly as well.

havnt been on the slab yet didnt get a chance the day i was there and unfortunately my climbing buddy is up to hos tits in work so wont get to try it this weekend:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

It looks good to me, as a newcomer. Seems as though there are routes to suit a wide range of levels, and plenty of awkward bits to make you think and use different moves to get over them.

Since Jan, the wall has been heaving with people on mid-week evenings, which I guess is a sign that people approve of the rerouting. But is it post-Christmas enthusiasm that will ease off, or should I aim for other times? Anyone know how busy it gets on Fridays & weekends?

• Advertisement

sdep wrote: »
    It looks good to me, as a newcomer. Seems as though there are routes to suit a wide range of levels, and plenty of awkward bits to make you think and use different moves to get over them.

Since Jan, the wall has been heaving with people on mid-week evenings, which I guess is a sign that people approve of the rerouting. But is it post-Christmas enthusiasm that will ease off, or should I aim for other times? Anyone know how busy it gets on Fridays & weekends?

the gym opens at 10 on saturday mornings that what time i aim for when i am going is grand you have the run of the wall (spoilt for choice:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Setheme

Sorry for writting in this old thread, but I don't want to make a new one :rolleyes:
    On ucd webside it says, that people under 18, must be accompanied
    by an adult who has completed their lead test.

So what is the lead test, how long does it take and what is the price?

Cheers.

Setheme wrote: »
    Sorry for writting in this old thread, but I don't want to make a new one :rolleyes:
    On ucd webside it says, that people under 18, must be accompanied
    by an adult who has completed their lead test.

So what is the lead test, how long does it take and what is the price?

Cheers.

they have a lead climbing section for practicing lead climbing (where you have to clip the rope in to extenders while you climb) it doesnt cost anything to do the test, but you need to have the belay test done first. it only take about 15-20 mins to do.

only thing is there is not always someone there to test you.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

might just jump on this thread as well.

I´m in Dublin for 3 weeks in June and need my climbing fix :eek:

Anyone know if I can just turn up at the UCD wall and climb straight away, or do I need to do anything special in advance?
    Oh, and how much is it to climb?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Setheme

Option 1 - €120 per year plus €3.50 entry fee upon visit.
    Option 2 - €250 & No entry fee upon each visit.
    Casual - €8 each visit if u don't have membership.

Casual users sign a form at reception for each
    visit to the wall. However, casual users must
    do a short test at the wall with a quali>ied
    UCD Instructor. On passing this test you will
    be issued with a membership card, which
    should be produced on each visit. If you do
    not do the test, you must complete the form
    at reception for each visit.

If ur under 18, u pay 3.50 but u need another person with u.

Conditions of use
    require members under 18 be accompanied
    by an adult who has completed their lead test;

Setheme wrote: »
    Option 1 - €120 per year plus €3.50 entry fee upon visit.
    Option 2 - €250 & No entry fee upon each visit.
    Casual - €8 each visit if u don't have membership.

Casual users sign a form at reception for each
    visit to the wall. However, casual users must
    do a short test at the wall with a quali>ied
    UCD Instructor. On passing this test you will
    be issued with a membership card, which
    should be produced on each visit. If you do
    not do the test, you must complete the form
    at reception for each visit.

If ur under 18, u pay 3.50 but u need another person with u.

Conditions of use
    require members under 18 be accompanied
    by an adult who has completed their lead test;

yep what he said:D

if your up in the smoke and want your climbing fix try get out to dalkey query!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

thanks for the replies.

I´ve never climbed in Ireland before so I´m dead keen to get out to Dalkey. No climbing partner although. If anyones interested in heading out there in early June let me know.

thanks for the replies.

I´ve never climbed in Ireland before so I´m dead keen to get out to Dalkey. No climbing partner although. If anyones interested in heading out there in early June let me know.

id your looking for someone to climb with as far as i know there is a section in the forum on www.climb.ie for climbing buddies or you could just post a thread here with your dates and see if anyone is around that can climb with you when you are hear

Advertisement