Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance: brokers vs direct

Options
  • 05-01-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Ive never used an insurance broker before, always went direct. None of my family have ever used a broker so I wont be able to avail of any "deals". Should I try a broker before I buy direct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Should I try a broker before I buy direct?
    What have you got to lose?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

esel wrote: »
    What have you got to lose?

Well Im not sure who the best brokers would be to go to around here, so it could be a major waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Brokers are always worth a bang.

I work in a garage and always dealing with them. A lot of the time there cheaper, but not only that, they give a s*** when you need assistance or advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i use to work on the broker team in Quinn Direct few year ago. alot of brokers are grand, a few dodgey. In your area, i would advise checking out McHugh OLeary Insurance brokers. There sound and will look around for a good deal for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

go for it if they get you a cheaper quote its worth it and your not commited to anything. also remember they take a fee from the company so if they give you a quote for 500 from quinn if you got direct to quinn and tell them that they might be able to beat it seen as they can cut out the middle man

for anything other than getting insured initially though a broker just adds an unnecessary layer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

PeakOutput wrote: »
    go for it if they get you a cheaper quote its worth it and your not commited to anything. also remember they take a fee from the company so if they give you a quote for 500 from quinn if you got direct to quinn and tell them that they might be able to beat it seen as they can cut out the middle man

for anything other than getting insured initially though a broker just adds an unnecessary layer.

Not always true, very often broker books are written at lower rates because of the volume involved. Brokers are worth a shot, at least to give you a ballpark to aim for when you go direct.

I have used a broker for the last 2 years.

Not only were they cheaper, you actually can talk to people who know what they are doing. For my latest renewal they saved me €400. So yeah its worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

ellscurr wrote: »
    Not always true, very often broker books are written at lower rates because of the volume involved. Brokers are worth a shot, at least to give you a ballpark to aim for when you go direct.

Yep that's true. Only certain brokers though. There's a few alliances of brokers too which merged together for better prices of companies. The likes of bestquote or topquote are just ordinary brokers who joined their business together to get a better deal.
    Brokers can also be very useful for getting claims paid even though technically it might not be insured.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Brokers can also be very useful for getting claims paid even though technically it might not be insured.

i agree with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Keith186 wrote: »

Fraud?

• Advertisement

Sean_K wrote: »
    Fraud?

nope persuasion

if the insurance company can get off on a technicality they are less likely to do it threw someone who is bringing them 100,000euro worth of business

Advertisement