Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality

Options
  • 05-01-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

(may not belong here)

I'm doing a paper on discrimination and have come across the Equality Act of 1998 and the Equal Status Act of 2000 (amended 2004), but I'm trying to figure out if there's any difference between them. They both refer to discrimination on the usual 9 grounds (gender, race, etc). Can anyone who's more aware of the specifics tell me if there's any major differences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The Equality Act covers employment, the Equal Status Act covers the provision of services. Both establish the same grounds on which people of organisations that discriminate against particular groups of people may be tried and prosecuted. The definitions, however, are subject to some debate. And some of the Equal Status Act was diluted. I can't believe you have to ask this since you're writing a paper on it, presumably you're studing it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well it's more on interviewing and the legal ramifications of all of this. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

We're not here to do your coursework for you. Try reading the two acts and coming to your own conclusions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement