Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import a hybrid now?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Please correct me if this is not right....

Wouldn't it make sense to import a relatively expensive hybrid (say a Lexus 450h) from the UK now and pay the VRT @ the 50% rate... wouldn't the value go up on 1 July when the new regime comes in, almost doubling the rate of VRT on that car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Small hybrid (Civic/Prius): import after July.

Gas guzzling hybrids, like all gas guzzlers: buy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    Small hybrid (Civic/Prius): import after July.

These are going up from 11.25% in the case of the Honda and 12.5% in the case of the Toyota to 14% VRT for both cars. So they'll be more expensive come July to buy(but they will have €100 road tax instead).

E92 wrote: »
    These are going up from 11.25% in the case of the Honda and 12.5% in the case of the Toyota to 14% VRT for both cars. So they'll be more expensive come July to buy(but they will have €100 road tax instead).
    14% VRT but up to €2,500 cash back if buying new. Possibly a portion of €2,500 back if importing 2nd hand, tho I would say SIMI will put a stop to that.

Aside from that the €100 tax would pay for any differences in VRT after a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    14% VRT but up to €2,500 cash back if buying new. Possibly a portion of €2,500 back if importing 2nd hand, tho I would say SIMI will put a stop to that.

There's no way the SIMI will allow that to happen, and if you look at my Toyota price list(in the VRT sticky), a hike to 14% from 12.5% isn't going to be that much of an increase anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Just to piggyback.

If i was to buy a new civic hybrid , would it be better to buy now or january. I know that now there is a 50% VRT rebate and the band is 22.5%. This band will drop to 14% in july but will there still be a rebate.

Many thanks

• Advertisement

The "rebate" just means now that the effective VRT is 11.25%

The VRT will be 14% in July, but there will be up to €2,500 discount off VRT, the details of which are not clear. Road tax will be down to €100 a year.

Wait till after July 1st.

Advertisement