Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seans Brown Bread (Superquinn) Recipe

Options
  • 05-01-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Does anyone have a recipe for "Seans brown bread" that you can buy in Superquinn? It's baked in house in Superquinn.

Or a similar recipe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Hey,
    I'm not familiar with Sean's brown bread but have a recipe for homemade brown bread I can post if you're interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Hi milli. Would appreciate it if you could post it. Thanks

No problem. Here goes:

14oz Wholemeal Flour
    2oz Plain Flour
    1 Tablespoon Wheatbran
    1 Tablespoon Wheatgerm
    1 Dessertspoon Brown Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Bread Soda
    1 Teaspoon Salt

Mix these together.

Then combine 1 egg beaten mixed into 15 fluid oz of buttermilk or sour milk and 2 tablespoons of oil, and mix with the dry ingredients.

Cook in a 2lb tin for about 50mins at 190deg/gas mark 5-6. Makes one loaf.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

milli wrote: »
    No problem. Here goes:

14oz Wholemeal Flour
    2oz Plain Flour
    1 Tablespoon Wheatbran
    1 Tablespoon Wheatgerm
    1 Dessertspoon Brown Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Bread Soda
    1 Teaspoon Salt

Mix these together.

Then combine 1 egg beaten mixed into 15 fluid oz of buttermilk or sour milk and 2 tablespoons of oil, and mix with the dry ingredients.

Cook in a 2lb tin for about 50mins at 190deg/gas mark 5-6. Makes one loaf.

Enjoy :)

I use this recipe too and it's lovely. The brown sugar gives it just the right amount of sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Regarding seans brown bread, this is different to regular brown bread (superquinn sell also.
    The recipe was alter from their brown bread by a head baker named sean,
    His alterations were extra salt and extra sugar, (at least i'm aware of only those two)
    So seans brown is not as good for you compared to their regular brown.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Regarding seans brown bread, this is different to regular brown bread (superquinn sell also.
    His alterations were extra salt and extra sugar, (at least i'm aware of only those two)

...not as good for you, but is it nicer? :D

Only joking. Thanks for recipe milli. Will try.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

Hey

Just to let you know there is no sugar in seans brown and very little salt in it aswell.

So you can eat as much as you want and not have to worry about the heart attack:D

ambman wrote: »
    Hey

Just to let you know there is no sugar in seans brown and very little salt in it aswell.

So you can eat as much as you want and not have to worry about the heart attack:D

Do you know what the recipe is ambman

rosboy wrote: »

Well if it's any use we made the brown bread the last day without any sugar or salt and it still tasted good. If you ever find the recipe you're looking for let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rosboy wrote: »
    I'm guessing no, as I do know it. Seans brown has extra sugar and salt over the normal brown bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

I'm guessing no, as I do know it. Seans brown has extra sugar and salt over the normal brown bread

Then you have the wrong recipe Mellor.

All of superquinn's brown soda bread's are low salt bread and there is no sugar in sean's brown and no sugar in their normal brown soda's;)

So guess again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Baker16

Hi to all you soda bread experts out there,
    My name is Derek Blake and i am the son and heir to the Seans Brown Bread recipe from Superquinn.
    My late Father Sean was the inventor of the Bread, he was indeed a head Baker/Confectioner and was one of the first Craft Bakers employed by Fergal Quinn in 1972. My late father along with a handful of other baker/confectioners were instrumental in establishing the home bakeries in Superquinn for which they became reknowned along with being the highest winner of Bakery awards at home here in Ireland and internationally.
    The bread first went on sale to the customers in 1993 from the Walkinstown Branch and soon after throughout the other stores too.It is the number one selling product year in year out in all the Supermarket stores , which is indeed remarkable.
    You will see many impersonations of this unique and wonderful Brown bread throughout a lot of bakeries and retail outlets,many may copy it`s individualistic shape but cannot replicate it`s flavour, texture and wholesome content.
    A wonderful legacy for my Father to leave behind altogether, and i am sure he would be amused and flattered by the attention it has generated over the years since it`s inception to the vast array of hand crafted products once available from the Superquinn home bakeries.
    Kindest Regards to all,
    Derek Blake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What a legacy, you must be very proud. There's nothing like Superquinn brown bread.

I've moved this to Cakes & Bakes, the forum may not have existed when this thread was started.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Baker16 wrote: »
    Hi to all you soda bread experts out there,
    My name is Derek Blake and i am the son and heir to the Seans Brown Bread recipe from Superquinn.
    My late Father Sean was the inventor of the Bread, he was indeed a head Baker/Confectioner and was one of the first Craft Bakers employed by Fergal Quinn in 1972. My late father along with a handful of other baker/confectioners were instrumental in establishing the home bakeries in Superquinn for which they became reknowned along with being the highest winner of Bakery awards at home here in Ireland and internationally.
    The bread first went on sale to the customers in 1993 from the Walkinstown Branch and soon after throughout the other stores too.It is the number one selling product year in year out in all the Supermarket stores , which is indeed remarkable.
    You will see many impersonations of this unique and wonderful Brown bread throughout a lot of bakeries and retail outlets,many may copy it`s individualistic shape but cannot replicate it`s flavour, texture and wholesome content.
    A wonderful legacy for my Father to leave behind altogether, and i am sure he would be amused and flattered by the attention it has generated over the years since it`s inception to the vast array of hand crafted products once available from the Superquinn home bakeries.
    Kindest Regards to all,
    Derek Blake

Nice 1 Derek, Seasons Greetings, go on the Sean's Brown. It's Yummy !

Advertisement