Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE, the license fee and 2fm

• 04-01-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Don't think so big balls...reason is that Larry is on a big fatt Montrose salary paid for by our buckin license fees.

That doesn't happen. 2FM is a net contributer to the RTÉ funding cake, it is entirely self sufficient in income from advertising.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Check the annual report, Mr. B. :)

licence_graph.gif
    NOTE: RTÉ 2fm and RTÉ Publishing (RTÉ Aertel, rte.ie, RTÉ Guide) did not receive any public funding. Source: RTÉ Annual Report 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Fair play DMC.

SO.. RTE2 is operationally a net contributer.

Okily dokily, suppose it's better than nothing.

I'll let it lie at that:)

SO.. RTE2 is operationally a net contributer.

I did say entirely ;)
    Its surplus pays into providing your most valued RTÉ Radio 1. :)

(page 48 of the 2006 Annual Report)

Extract from annual report:
    "
    No Licence Fee revenue is attributed to RTÉ 2fm as this
    public service channel generates suffi cient commercial
    revenue to fully cover its costs and to generate a surplus."

That would appear to indicate that capital expenditure and start up costs not included.

Anyway I'll have the tSubh down on top of me if I keep goin off topic,so we will agree to leave it lie.

Thanks for the link to the annual report.... very interesting and informative.

That would appear to indicate that capital expenditure and start up costs not included.

Indeed, going very OT, but I will say....

Thats not my reading of it. Startup costs. Pfft! Remember that the station started in 1979, hardly any startup costs would appear on the books now. They are in the same outhouse in Montrose. And if it continues to make a profit, those costs are long paid for. Listed in the Annual Report is also transmission costs to RTÉ NL specifically for 2FM (€1.4m, pg 54) and also, 2FM pay the newsroom for the news, they don't get it as a freebie (pg 47).

Think of it this way. Colm and Jim Jim, Rick O'Shea, Larry Gogan and (excluding TV work) Gerry Ryan and all the other DJ's on 2FM cost the licence fee payer diddly squat, nada, not a bean. Their income in advertising alone makes 2FM help other parts of RTÉ's PSB programming.

Read up on it, it contains a wealth of information.

• Advertisement

I will read up on it. It should be interesting.

I would maintain however that Two FM is essentially a "bolt on" company which came in with a countrywide footprint,and brand recognition,and was unchallenged for a long period,and while I would welcome the fact that it pays its way in accountancy terms,I will hold the triple somersaults for the moment:)

Despite the fact that it pays its way,I would contend that a good proportion of its A listers are paid far too much and have far too much leeway in extra mural activities for my liking.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There you go folks, now you can discuss it to your heart's content.

Thanks tSubh.
    I would maintain however that Two FM is essentially a "bolt on" company which came in with a countrywide footprint,and brand recognition,and was unchallenged for a long period,and while I would welcome the fact that it pays its way in accountancy terms,I will hold the triple somersaults for the moment:)

Despite the fact that it pays its way,I would contend that a good proportion of its A listers are paid far too much and have far too much leeway in extra mural activities for my liking.

I see where you are coming from with the "bolt on" business, in that it is a commercial station, it makes money and its hard, at first glance, to see where the PSB need is in 2FM. I would say, if it helps keep the licence fee down, then its a keeper. It also has programmes that are commercial pitfalls for some, like live concerts and Transition Year projects.

2FM has always had issues. It was a shed of a station when it started, it was massacred by the pirates, and it was only when it became 2FM in late 80's, when the pirates where shut and put Gerry Ryan on between 9 and 12, that it came into its own.

There is a lot wrong at present with 2FM, in terms of personality chosen, schedule and management. There is a strong danger in the coming year it will lose 2nd place nationally to Today FM. I've always said on these forums that Gerry Ryan is the issue. He's the wage king, and his prowess in the mornings is waning. They shifted dear old Larry, but Larry wasn't loosing listeners. Dave Fanning was hived off to Radio 1. Which makes the Ryan the oldest left, and he's no spring chicken. His eldest child would now be in the upper half of the core desired demograph!

Ryan is now 20 years in his present slot, for 2FM to keep on giving to the RTÉ kitty, it needs to move Ryan. Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where would Ryan Move to? And could anyone shift that lardy arse anyway? :D

Mike.

Have forktruck, can try! :D

I have no preference, but it would surely he'd be in Newstalks radar. He wont go anytime soon as he is in a multi-year contract, iirc.

• Advertisement

Who listens to Ryan anyway? It is the unwilling on the factory floor/office? stay at home mums? Not the yoof demographic I'm sure.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Saw Ryan (briefly) on Tubridy tonight, and God he's gross !
    Fattened up by our taxpayers money and what have RTE done ? they've just given him another (tabloid style) TV show. Why ? Each one before has been an abysmal failure.. can he just not go away and blow up ?.

Well I freely admit I don't listen to 2FM,but its biggest danger imho is to be too "highrow"for the demograph it is aiming at which I presume is the under 30's.

These listeners,or a great majority, seem to want mindless "chewing gum", interactivity, inane "competitions" with an IQ rating slightly above the average BB episode

Nothing wrong with that per se, if it's what they want, but that's where I see 2FM standing or falling with that listener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

juuge wrote: »
    Fattened up by our taxpayers money and what have RTE done ? they've just given him another (tabloid style) TV show. Why ? Each one before has been an abysmal failure.. can he just not go away and blow up ?.

A fat pompous, bombastic ass. I'm surprised he didn't come out eating his supper.

Ironic that he's championing a show that aims to transform people's eating habits etc.

Really?! "How to eat yourself thin" I presume?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sort of, they have stylists, personal trainers etc., from what I can gather.

To listen to Gerry, you'd think it was a new invention, in that it is covered on radio, TV, and the web. (360 was a phrase he kept coming back to).

He reminded me of Eddie Hobbs, and his investment company, with the way he was pimping this show last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Fattened up by our taxpayers money .

I thought it had just been said above that Ryan's tummy is being fed not by taxpayers, but by commercial profits. I agree that he's gross, and people I know who used to love him 10 years ago now can't stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Your to blame, liberally having a go at that poor fat man, while you openly admit to watching Turbidy Tonight, no matter how brief. For Shame!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Can any more Gerry Ryan bashing please go in the appropriate Gerry Ryan bashing thread. Thank you.

heh heh heh... despite your best efforts and all that......:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement