Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico new offer

Options
  • 05-01-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Perlico are offering 1mb broadband with a dell laptop, the broadband will cost you 6.99 a month (or 99c if you buy it onlinie) and the laptop for 400 euro :eek:

Anyway, my problem is that im on NTL 3Mb broadband at the moment. Is it possible to use both perlico and ntl under the one roof? the perlico would be solely used with the above laptop. :confused:

Here's the laptop: http://www.perlico.com/broadband/laptop.aspx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its a dell vostro 1000 laptop, underpowered for vista but if it came with xp it would be a good offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

The laptop looks like a pig in a poke as they dont show you the back or the other side re connectivity: what are they hiding?
    I dont see any
    USB ports,
    external screen connections
    RJ45
    power connection
    microphone /speakers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ircoha wrote: »
    The laptop looks like a pig in a poke as they dont show you the back or the other side re connectivity: what are they hiding?
    I dont see any
    USB ports,
    external screen connections
    RJ45
    power connection
    microphone /speakers

They could be on the side and the back. Any ways they are all pretty much standard these days. You couldn't get away with not putting those on a laptop.

Like said above, I wouldn't touch that with vista. If you can stick a copy of xp or ubuntu on it then it would be fine.
    This is a ideal laptop for everyday computing. It’s got a 2.00GHz Processor and 1024MB RAM which means you will have enough memory to store all the documents and photos you want.

How the hell do the ram and processor affect how much stuff you can store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Genius16 wrote: »
    NTL 3Mb broadband at the moment. Is it possible to use both perlico and ntl under the one roof? the perlico would be solely used with the above laptop. :confused:

The broadband Perlico are selling here is DSL, so you'll need a phone line and it will need to be on an enabled exchange and passing the line test. You also have to switch your calls to Perlico. It doesn't look anything special at all. You can have DSL and NTL in the same house, but for the cost it'd probably be a better idea to put a router on the NTL connection for sharing it between two PCs rather than getting a 2nd broadband connection. Maybe consider a faster NTL if you're going to share it between two users.

The laptop is nothing special at all, even for that price. I like this bit in the description:
    which means that this laptop will be so fast that you won’t be waiting for pages to open
    So fast, LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

jor el wrote: »
    The broadband Perlico are selling here is DSL, so you'll need a phone line and it will need to be on an enabled exchange and passing the line test. You also have to switch your calls to Perlico. It doesn't look anything special at all. You can have DSL and NTL in the same house, but for the cost it'd probably be a better idea to put a router on the NTL connection for sharing it between two PCs rather than getting a 2nd broadband connection. Maybe consider a faster NTL if you're going to share it between two users.

The laptop is nothing special at all, even for that price. I like this bit in the description:
    which means that this laptop will be so fast that you won’t be waiting for pages to open
    So fast, LOL.

Jor el: Is perlico offereing ADSL or DSL?

Re
    It doesn't look anything special at all.
    http://www.perlico.com/Default.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/bundles/Bundles/freedom1.aspx
    saving 144 euro against eircom in one year is not special to you or are there better offers around that u would like to share with us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

adsl is the most common form of dsl

asdl2+ is much less common

others are not available here, eg vdsl

Advertisement