Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you reckon the world will end?

• 05-01-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭

Thanks to TV, we're almost immune to the many different flavors that Armegeddon could come in, and we all have to agree thats its fascinating to watch them and their effects played out in films. But of all the choices, war, famine, disease, natural catastrophe, what do you reckon will be our final reason to look up and say "Oh sh*t"

Personally, I'd vote meteor strike, as we know that they've happened before, and we also know its only a matter of time before it happens again. In close second though, would be some sort of man made virus escaping ala 28 days later, and causing us all to snuff it in some lab engineered horrible way. Hopefully not with as many face eating episodes as the film though.

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Who cares as long as we have Bruce Willis there to save us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

world ending or end of human race or world becomes incapable of supporting life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tweety28

eventualy the sun will run out of gass and stop burning then chaos ensue

this we know will definatly happen but wheather humans will be around at this time is another story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It's gonna be overpopulation as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

bleg wrote: »
    world ending or end of human race or world becomes incapable of supporting life?

A nice middle point. End of all life leaving the world as a lifeless husk floating in the void of space, but sure lets hear the ideas for ending all human life as well, as that will probably happen first anyway, and could provide some more creative suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Black Hole opened up in the centre of the earth, á la Dan Simmons Hyperion.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I reckon someone will go a bit too far with nukes, and that'll pretty much be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

It's gonna be overpopulation as far as I'm concerned.

i disagree. the population has a way of regulating itself, when it gets too high, famine, food shortages ensue, people die off hence population is reduced until sustainable living conditions can be achieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Our descendants all turn EMO and kill themselves,:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Toots85 wrote: »
    I reckon someone will go a bit too far with nukes, and that'll pretty much be that.

I agree, we'll invent super scary weapons one day, the likes of which we can't imagine. Then we'll blow each other up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Oops,might not have long to wait, Pakistan has Nukes:eek:

watna wrote: »
    I agree, we'll invent super scary weapons one day, the likes of which we can't imagine. Then we'll blow each other up.

Like the Einstein quote 'I don't know what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I reckon it will be me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i think someone will forget to feed them and there will be a hamster rebellion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Like the Einstein quote 'I don't know what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.'
    I am so smart...i am so smart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Archeron wrote: »
    What do you reckon?

YORE MA!!!

/me leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

WWIII and nukes

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Not exactly sure but quite confident it will have something to do with hedgehogs.
    They're here for some reason...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The sun moves to its red giant phase and we burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Zombie Dinosaurs, but dont worry its not for another 17 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew wrote: »
    WWIII and nukes

:(

is that because the nukes will have destroyed all the weapons

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

For anyone who, like me, is fascinated by the idea of apocalypse - especially a nuclear one (although I'd still rather it didn't happen :)) - there's a treat in store for you shortly: Channel 4 at 7.30 - The Brink of Apocalypse. A look back at 1983 when Reagan and the Soviets were all Thunderdome on each other's asses. I'm missing valuable drinking time for this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The Sun will grow in size, but decrease in density, reducing its gravitational effect, sending Earth's Orbit wide, possibly out as far as Jupiter. Don't worry though, the place will be scorched well before that by the additional radiation and heat.

Giblet wrote: »
    The Sun will grow in size, but decrease in density, reducing its gravitational effect, sending Earth's Orbit wide, possibly out as far as Jupiter. Don't worry though, the place will be scorched well before that by the additional radiation and heat.

the newspaper?

having nothing to read but the tabloids is my biggest fear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It ended 237 years ago.

Everything you experience now really just exists in the dream of an immortal seahorse that floats in orbit around Barnards Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tweety28

the y chromosome will continue getting smaller and small untill there are no men left

p.s. im not a feminist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

A woman will become president of America and fuck it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Dudess wrote: »
    For anyone who, like me, is fascinated by the idea of apocalypse - especially a nuclear one (although I'd still rather it didn't happen :)) - there's a treat in store for you shortly: Channel 4 at 7.30 - The Brink of Apocalypse. A look back at 1983 when Reagan and the Soviets were all Thunderdome on each other's asses. I'm missing valuable drinking time for this one!

I'm a fiend for apocolypse fiction/movies/speculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We will probably wipe ourselves out. One thing is for certain. In a few billion years the sun will die and all life with it. Of course by then the far off former human,presuming we havn't wiped ourselves out, will either hide within the Earth or be scattered across the galaxy on different planets. Looking for ways of killing each other in interstellar wars based on what planet your from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Climate change will cause the world's barley crop to fail for several years in a row. The resulting lack of raw material for beer will result in rioting on a global scale causing an unimaginable number of fatalities. The few survivors who managed to make it through due to their preference for cider will suffer the same fate a few years later when all the apple trees suddenly die off, sparking new riots which account for the remainder of humanity.

Then the penguins take over and become the dominant species on Earth.*

* May actually be a bit far fetched and not guaranteed to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Nukes...No...because you can guarantee there are bunkers out there to protect themselves...the US have Cheyane mountain...I reckon any eventuality will be out of our hands, an asteroid most likely...we've been far too lucky over the last hundred years...

_JOE_ wrote: »
    the US have Cheyane mountain...

but where will sg1 base themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Yeah I reckon its gonna be natural too. Even for a meteor strike there will be plenty of survivors in bunkers so Im going for the sun. Its gonna fry us good in a few million years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

bucks73 wrote: »
    Yeah I reckon its gonna be natural too. Even for a meteor strike there will be plenty of survivors in bunkers so Im going for the sun. Its gonna fry us good in a few million years.

gonna need some serious spf me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

It will end with a whimper. Our existence that is ...

Only our vanity dictates it should be something cataclysmic and spectacular.

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    but where will sg1 base themselves?

Presumably on one of those picturesque worlds they go to that always contain Stick Wielding weirdos with bits of gold stuck to their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The Thing will un-freeze itself and assimilate everything on the planet. Not even Kurt Russel will be able to save us this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm a fiend for apocolypse fiction/movies/speculation
    Ah... you have truly ensured favouritism! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Russell was murdered. Where have you been? Beary Bear ate his scrotum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

China to get a world domination mad dictator, then we'd be fecked:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

been reading alot on this over the past few days on another forum, the mayans (they predicted solar eclipses to the exact second 2,000 years ago including one in April 1999) created a calendar but surprisingly there are no entries on this after December 21st 2012, many have predicted the end of the world on this date

Interestingly astronomers have predicted the plane of our Solar System will line up exactly with the plane of our Galaxy, the Milky Way, the first time this has happened in 26,000 years on guess when; December 21st 2012

Many are also claiming the approach of Nibiru (the tenth planet) which supposedly passes by earth every 3600 years or so and causes vast destruction such as the ice-age, great flood etc. Its orbit is so powerful (it is bigger than Jupiter) that the axis of the earth will change, blah, blah. apartently you can now see Nibiru lying close to the sun and in 2009 it will be clearly visible in the sky.....

not sure how much faith i put in the doom mongers in america who make money on this stuff but its still interesting read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Sadly, a lot of our folk are already being wiped out by road traffic accidents, and will undobtedly continue to do so. Eventually our population will diminish.
    rossie1977 wrote:
    been reading alot on this over the past few days on another forum, the mayans (they predicted solar eclipses to the exact second 2,000 years ago including one in April 1999) created a calendar but surprisingly there are no entries on this after December 21st 2012, many have predicted the end of the world on this date
    My daughter will have just turned 10:(

I'm getting depressed reading this. I'll go to the news instead and find out more about Britney....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

rossie1977 wrote: »

Right then. I'm going to buy lots of designer clothes, go on luxury holidays, hire a few nannies for my children and get into really heavy debt and live life like a queen. It won't matter cos we'll all be dead by that date, won't we???? Definitely??? Hmmm.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Maybe not the end of the world as such, but I reckong the end of modern civilisation (excluding the development of anti-matter power sources) might have something to do with what this talks about around 35 mins in http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5267640865741878159&q=history+of+oil&total=1056&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i think the most likely way the human race will be in the way of the film/book "i am legend"

mutating virus but there will always be people who will be immune.

but i think it will be a fairly tough task to wipe out everyone on the planet bar a serious physical trauma to the planet eg meteor or sun exploding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

"The last question was asked for the first time, half in jest, on May 21, 2061, at a time when humanity first stepped into the light. The question came about as a result of a five dollar bet over highballs, and it happened this way: Alexander Adell and Bertram Lupov were two of the faithful attendants of Multivac. As well as any human beings could, they knew what lay behind the cold, clicking, flashing face -- miles and miles of face -- of that giant computer. They had at least a vague notion of the general plan of relays and circuits that had long since grown past the point where any single human could possibly have a firm grasp of the whole.

Multivac was self-adjusting and self-correcting. It had to be, for nothing human could adjust and correct it quickly enough or even adequately enough -- so Adell and Lupov attended the monstrous giant only lightly and superficially, yet as well as any men could. They fed it data, adjusted questions to its needs and translated the answers that were issued. Certainly they, and all others like them, were fully entitled to share In the glory that was Multivac's. "

Read the answer here http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

Some of Asimovs best work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

rossie1977 wrote: »

My little brother will have just gone 21 (12/12/2012) :D
    Yore all invited to the lastest, bestest party EVAR!!!!!!
    PAAAARRRRTTAAAAYYYY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say some religious nut will cause nukes to fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Praying for mass suicide here

• Advertisement
Advertisement