Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you reckon the world will end?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Mweelrea wrote: »
    China to get a world domination mad dictator, then we'd be fecked:D

Actually, that's pretty close, in a few years from now, China will start running low on food, and try and invade the vast wheat growing plains of Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

My little brother will have just gone 21 (12/12/2012) :D
    Yore all invited to the lastest, bestest party EVAR!!!!!!
    PAAAARRRRTTAAAAYYYY!!!

Wow all those 1's and 2's!

I think your bro will declare himself the Antichrist on that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nothing we do anyway.

But for the sake of fantasy, the sun will grow hands and strangle the Earth to death with its mighty grip. We'll be incinerated within less than a second of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I reckon mans messing with the nature will be our downfall. We now have gone to the moleculer level in our drive in improve what nature has already created ( GM crops).

Someday some nut will develop a weapon that acts on our DNA....a weapon thats complete...i.e no cure or antidote.

I also heard before that the earths Magnetic field is starting to weaken. Some theorists reckon the earth could be in the process of reveresing its Field....the results of which we dont know.

Then theres Cosmic bursts....unknown viruses.....sheesh!!!...theres heaps of ways we can go!!

But my money would be on Comet Collision.....have to say though....having watched the program on Discovery about what life would be like following a majorearth Impact....Id probably like to just be there for the show.....and be killed staright away. Wouldnt fancy the crap peeps would have to put up with following one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

dsmythy wrote: »
    Wow all those 1's and 2's!

I think your bro will declare himself the Antichrist on that day.

isn't the antichrists number 666?
    galwayrush wrote: »
    Actually, that's pretty close, in a few years from now, China will start running low on food, and try and invade the vast wheat growing plains of Russia.

goodbye Russia

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't the machines rise and take over the earth?

isn't the antichrists number 666?

goodbye Russia

666 is his number alright. I was just refering to the numeric coincidence of the date.

Also dunno about goodbye Russia. The Chinese may be more bark than bite militarily wise. Plus Russia may have some surprising friends to help them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I dildo of such epic proportions will be contructed that god himself will come down and kill us all!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We'll probably survive our galaxys encounter with andromoda in a billion years or so. But the planet won't survive the sun becoming a red giant sometime after that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

president giuliani starts ww3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

"Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration...."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

America pissing off some country nuclear war!

Its obvious, really.

We'll all turn gay to stop the Future People from taking our jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

imo not even if every nuclear bomb on earth was detonated at once would that lead to the end of civilization let alone the end of the world, billions would die but many would survive and outlive the nuclear winter

the end of the world would require a cataclysmic event like the sun becoming super nova, or another planet crashing into the earth.

a large comet or meteor hitting the earth would probably destroy all living things instantly even bacteria but that too would not result in the end of the world because millions of years later life would start to re-appear again.

For a while these predictions used to creep me out. I remembered hearing one which predicted that a planetary alignment on May 5th, 2000 was to be the end. Alas the day passed without incident. Then there was the 6/6/06 one - instead that day proved to be one of the best of my life!

After a while I just realised that people have been predicting this for generations and nothing has come to fruition. Personally I'd say it'll either be the sun's end of life or maybe if global warming gets too out of hand.

• Advertisement

Its going to be whenever Atlas gets fed up of carrying the whole friggin' world on his back.

That or Zombies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

rossie1977 wrote: »
    imo not even if every nuclear bomb on earth was detonated at once would that lead to the end of civilization let alone the end of the world, billions would die but many would survive and outlive the nuclear winter

the end of the world would require a cataclysmic event like the sun becoming super nova, or another planet crashing into the earth.

a large comet or meteor hitting the earth would probably destroy all living things instantly even bacteria but that too would not result in the end of the world because millions of years later life would start to re-appear again.

We would die from lack of food mainly. As the radiation would kill nearly ever animal and no plants could grow either and even if a few hundred survived they would be scattered and not have a diverse enough gene pool to prosper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I'm optimistic. If there was a new disease that wiped out most of the world, some people somewhere would survive, same with wars or famine. Also, I doubt anyone would detonate enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world and die themselves.
    The only way I see people being wiped out is a massive asteroid colliding with the planet, killing every living thing. There's also the possibility that Earth is in a false vacuum, the entire planet wiped out at the speed of light with absolutely no warning.

and not have a diverse enough gene pool to prosper.

*GASP*

We'd end up like tinkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gimmeabrk07

any of you guys been to godlikeproductions. theres always a couple of doomsday predictions per day. full of wind up merchants and nutters.have a look out for nancy leider and her planet x cult .ps i suspect roosie1977 has been already ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

any of you guys been to godlikeproductions. theres always a couple of doomsday predictions per day. full of wind up merchants and nutters.have a look out for nancy leider and her planet x cult .ps i suspect roosie1977 has been already ;)

haven't been, doomsday predictions are usually associated with some sort of religious beliefs, i have a jehovah witness friend and evangelical friend so i hear about the world coming to an end all the time from them, governments will fall, economies will crumble blah, blah :D

the planet x thing has religious connotations like nearly all the doomsday predictions, however i am intrigued though not convinced by the mayan 2012 thing (only found out about it 3 days ago), again that is not a prediction of anything, though people are making up their own assumptions based on it; most of them dire of course because that sells books :eek:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

*GASP*

We'd end up like tinkers!

Hahahaha!! Then some aliens would come along, see the state of the place and blow the whole planet up, knowing that there was really no more hope left for mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Somebody will start off the ultimate AH thread. News of the thread will spread around the globe and within 2 days the entire planet will be logged onto boards.ie to see how the thread develops.

As the thread will be so fascinating everybody will forget to eat and drink and they will all die 8 days later.

Well looks like we are safe for a while yet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

nocal wrote: »
    Somebody will start off the ultimate AH thread. News of the thread will spread around the globe and within 2 days the entire planet will be logged onto boards.ie to see how the thread develops.

As the thread will be so fascinating everybody will forget to eat and drink and they will all die 8 days later.

Well looks like we are safe for a while yet:D

Oh noooooooooooo, you bastard, you've just started the thread.

For the love of God , its starting :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

HP Lovecraft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cellulite_sally

aids/cancer

some strain of malicious virus released..

failing those 4.5 billion years until white dwarf / red giant time. when thankfully i'll be LONG GONE :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

watna wrote: »
    I agree, we'll invent super scary weapons one day, the likes of which we can't imagine. Then we'll blow each other up.

I'm afraid the super scary weapons have already been invented Watna. The Russians once successfully tested a 50 megaton* nuke. The blast was so powerful it's said to have been felt (and broken windows) in Finland up to 500 miles away. Severe third degree burns would have been inflicted up to 60 miles from ground zero, had the bomb been detonated in a civilian area. A bomb like that would turn a major city such as New York or London into a cloud of smoke. In fact I doubt there'd be much left of Ireland after a bomb like that. The US and Russians have enough nuclear bombs between them to as good as wipe humanity off the face of the earth. (most are smaller than that Russian nuke, but still devastatingly powerful)

*meaning the explosive power is roughly equivalent to 50 million tons of TNT (dynamite)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

unless the whole nuclear thing works out, i reckon humans will become so relient on technology that it will all be used up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

there a whole load of end of the world scenarios on exit mundi...
    http://www.exitmundi.nl/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

France will run out of Fashion and there will be worldwide riots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The Large Hadron collider will end us all, mark my words

No need wo worry, Chuck Norris and Bruce Willis will team up and save the world.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

On December 31 2009, at 23:59.59pm Cliff Richards' Christmas Single will reach number one making it the sixth #1 single in each of the first six decades since his inception of the UK Singles chart in 1952. Causing the universe to commit suicide by ripping itself open engulfing instelf in a black hole of Fecal Destruction.

-based on a dream I had recently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The world will end with my death as you are all constructs of my imagination that i have invented for my own amusement, NOW DANCE!!! MUHAAAHAAHAA

kowloon wrote: »
    The world will end with my death as you are all constructs of my imagination that i have invented for my own amusement, NOW DANCE!!! MUHAAAHAAHAA

thats one hell of an imagination you have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

How do you reckon the world will end?
    not with a bang, but a whimper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Humans may die out but the world will end when the sun becomes a 'red giant' In fact just before this phase everything on the Earth will be burned to nothingness. Thats in about 1,000,000 years. Thats how the Earth will end. The sun will ultimately destroy this planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i'm surprised no one's mentioned supervolcanoes. the next one is due any time soon (give or take a few thousand years), and is based under yellowstone park. this would wipe out around 99.99% of the population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

i'm surprised no one's mentioned supervolcanoes. the next one is due any time soon (give or take a few thousand years), and is based under yellowstone park. this would wipe out around 99.99% of the population

Imagine the fun if the meteor thats gonna hit us crashed INTO the supervolcano!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Creature wrote: »
    The Thing will un-freeze itself and assimilate everything on the planet. Not even Kurt Russel will be able to save us this time.
    \0/
    Love that film

btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9d65u3LfKs

hmm, i had forgotton about that thing. They were supposed to turn it on back in November 2007. There's another thread doing the rounds at the minute about time travel. Perhaps the incident that caused them to postpone the date to May 2008 was caused by a time traveler! :eek:

I bet this project never reaches completion. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Zombies.

Zombies, please let it be Zombies.

Zombie apocalypse FTW

*Begins building Zombie proof shelter*

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

heres a view of how it might all end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjk-9yJBIG0

There's a massive one on the Canary Islands that's overdue, that will probably
    only affect ireland when it collapses into the Sea and causes a Massive Tsunami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There will be a big, booming voice from the heavens saying, "...and now for something completely different."

That, or maybe something else, like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sex will become such a taboo that people will neuter all animals and other people. All bacteria will be wiped out because people will become so afraid of touching something unhygenic (like water with all its little microbes).

The planet will then implode due to people's heads being so far up their own arses.

Before that happens, everyone will be part of a minority group.

Blonde haired, blue eyed people will be known as the Aryan minority and will be forbidden from buying products containing peroxide.
    Peroxide products will be freely available to all other minorities though, in a scheme paid for by Aryan taxes.

Sorry. I just want to change that last bit for fear of offending someone.

I meant to say that only aryan people will be allowed to buy peroxide products.
    Everyone else will be banned from bleaching their hair in case they offend the aryan minority.

The largest ever Computer in the history of mankind which will be built to get to the bottom of Bertie's dig-outs and Tax affairs will Explode. :D

Advertisement