Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lords of Chaos

• 05-01-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

'The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground'

Just recieved this today from the girlfriend and it's a very interesting read so far.

In case anyone hasn't heard of the book, it documents the origins and rise of black metal and the various controversies that have happened within the scene/genre (church burning, murders, suicides etc)

Has anyone else read this and what did they think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's a brilliant read, I thought I knew a lot about the Burzum/Mayhem/church burning thing but there was a lot that book added to my knowledge. Great overview of the scene and an interesting look at the music involved. Doesn't fall into the "Kerrang! OMG! SATANISTS!!111" style of writing which is a nice change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i read it and loved it and learned alot about the black metal scene and albums to listen to.

long time metal fans however will tell you it is only ok and doesnt tell you any thing you shouldnt know already. it really depends on your previous exposure to metal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Well I was already listening to Mayhem and Burzum for years before I read it and I thought it was a lot more in depth than what I had been reading previously in the music press. There wasn't the same exposure on the internet at the time so maybe nowadays people have a bigger picture available to them outside of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The people that hung around the scene and made up it's clique seem to be a mix of the disturbed, impressionable, intelligent, disillusioned and the downright stupid. The more forceful and resourceful of these seemed to be greatly revered by the rest. There's so many holes and contradictions in the main theories and ideas that you wonder how it got so far. But I guess when a group is convinced that it has a purpose and is making a difference then many things are possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I read that book a few years back. A bunch of nutters in Scandinavia, there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

I love black metal, but I wish those guys would ever just stop taking themselves so seriously. Not to piss on their beliefs, I just mean like, don't advertise it so forcefully and feel you have to conform to the image.

In a way they're similar to the "gangstas" that listen to gangsta rap and think thats how you have to live

Take a page out of George Fisher's book. Music, even the dirtiest most evil ****, shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Advertisement