Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retaurants in Newbridge; good, bad and ugly?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

I think a thread for discussing the various restaurants in town would be good, so here goes:

I love "Weeping Thaiger". The food is always fantastic and they now deliver as well. Lovely restaurant for a large group or a couple in the evening.

We ordered from "Thai Go" the other night and were very disappointed. Bot at all up to the standard of the food we'd been used to from "Weeping Thaiger". The food was quite greasy and there was far too much egg in the Pad Thai. I'd recommend giving it a miss.

"Bollywood Spices" is lovely but I preferred the Chicken Korma from there when it was under the old owners and was called "Bonbay Brasserie". The Korma is now a bit sweet but still very nice. They have given us free mineral or bottle of beer with every order we collected and they always throw in poppadums and little side pots of chopped vegetables. The old owners gave you your order and never anything extra. Very friendly staff and nice surroundings in the restaurant.

So what are your favourite restaurants in Newbridge? What restaurants or take-aways do you think should be avoided?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Kings park is the best Chinese I have had so far....either take away or eating in the restaurant. The staff are so polite and friendly which is a bonus. The Mango Chicken there is amazing and I have never seen it available anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Giggsy75

Jardin Royale is good :) have to say I'm quite partial to Zen Thai also...great menu, yummy. Tavola d'oro is too expensive:eek: for what you get and the place itself is small. I wish Eddie Rockets would open I love their burgers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dizzydub

I particularly like weeping Thaiger and kings park...try buffalo's for an eddie rocketts alternative...it's yum

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Giggsy75

Dizzydub i'll have to disagree with you on Buffalo's, sorry:( don't like it at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

have you tried Nanni's across form the old cinema?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

have you tried Nanni's across form the old cinema?

No, any good?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

yeah and the prices are pretty reasonable. they do a good delivery service. the sit down menu is better tho. they are like an italian/european style place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Buffalo's is unimpressive.

Jaipur indian is nice. Hated Bombay Brassiere but haven't tried Bollywood Spices yet. Ate in Bollywood's...Naas place which is good.

Jardin Royal is good, Kings Park - had terrible meal there.

Donatello's is a nice Italian, far better than the one upstairs near Yvonne's newsagents.

Edward Harrigan's Thai restaurant do good takeaway [nicer than Weeping Thaiger takeaway] but sometimes make mistakes.

i.e.
    ordered green curry and boiled rice plus a meal for my wife.
    Delivery #1 Wife's meal = correct, mine = pad thai. Ring to complain, they say sorry and will send out green curry asap.

Delivery #2 Turns out to be red curry and fried rice. Ring them again. Very apologetic.

Delivery #3 Correct. Get refund for the whole meal.

Whatever happened to
    1) Les Olives coming to The Avenue, Whitewater? Their Naas restaurant is superb but I know they closed their Portlaoise outlet after a few months last year.

2) Pizza Hut coming to Whitewater - as outlined in original brochure. Why give us another Abrakebra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Not into Oriental food myself.However on a recent visit to Newbridge tried the Keadeen for Saturday lunch with very low expectations (food served in the bar...)was astonishingly pleased to be served up a beautiful cream of veg soup (I know.... can you imagine how I expected to this be ... veg soup in a bar!!???It was lovely with a herby (almost smoked ) flavour and a chopped herb of some description which looked like microscopic scallions(!) ,genuinely creamy...gorgeous...
    The main course of steak burger was also top class...Highly reccomended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

ytareh wrote: »
    microscopic scallions(!)

Probably chopped chives.

Hmm, never even thought of going to the Keadeen before....interesting. Have eaten a spot of lunch in The Standhouse a couple of times (weekdays) and it was only average, nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

have to say the weeping thaiger isn't the best. it looks nice but how can ya say the food is always fab???

the last 2 times we've gone in there for qa meal we've left with out finishing the meal as the food quite frankly isn't the best. it'll do if you're really hungry but it's not excellent.

for me t'avola D'or is great. it's under new managment and new chef and i have to say the food is yummmmmmmmmmmmmm. someone mentioned it was expensive for what you get? compared to restaurants in Naas etc it isn't. and the portions are rather large. it is small and i think that's the charm of the place. it's normally full of regulars anyway.(who they throw in free drinks for btw :-))

For me, i'd drive into naas to go to the Store house. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm and restaurant is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bazuki

Kings Park and T'Avola D'or are easily the two best places in town for food. Nanis is great also, but once or twice I found the food to be a tad bit over-cooked.

Of course, you can't beat Central Grill when it comes to greasy food, I have yet to find a better chipper anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 supermol

Heah Giggsy,hope yur Jardin was good tonight....Thank's for dinner..

Had the best meal of my life last night in the Hanged man in Milltown. It's a 10 min drive out station road. Pricey but worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

dizzydub wrote: »
    Had the best meal of my life last night in the Hanged man in Milltown. It's a 10 min drive out station road. Pricey but worth every penny

LOL, went there a few years ago and it was terrible (14 in the group, everybody had a disappointing meal). We complained, and they made a half-arsed apology. We vowed never to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Brad Wesley

dizzydub wrote: »

I'd have to agree i've bee there a few times and it's lovely, i love the potatoe skin starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

I have to say that from living in the town, sadly there is only 1 at the moment which I would recommend, and that is the Granary Restaurant, where the old Stirrups pub used to be. Their steak is fabulous !

I was previously number 1 fan of Kings Park but am disappointed to report that the standard of their food has gone way down over the last 6 months, the last time I ordered about 2 weeks ago the chicken balls were seriously burnt and rock hard - same went for the chips. I have also noticed that the restaurant is always near empty each time I go in for a takeout.

To me, Jardin Royale tastes exactly the same as the food from Kings Park, maybe due to both owners being related, so I would pass on that as well.

Abrakebabra on the main street is absolutely rotten and Buffalos can be very hit and miss. Central Grill chipper is lovely and the staff are very friendly

At this stage when the kids want takeout I usually end up driving into Naas !!

Unfortunately I cant be very positive on a whole, maybe other posters will disagree !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 islay

Wheeping Thaiger: I used to be a regular both eat in and take away but over last two years the quality has gone downhill. It's now very mass produced food and the service isn't great.

Donatellos: Pricey for Italian but usually a good bet for Steak. More of an evening out than something to eat.

La Tavlo Dora (Sp) Nice for take away or eat in.Love their Chicken wings and bruschetta. Although if it's busy can be a little stuffy. Good value.

Buffalos: Is a glorified chipper! Its quality is iffy and this could be due to the fact that its owned by the same guy who owns abra.

Harrigans: The menu and wine list has been extended recently which is good... Duck Salad Yum! Don't like the fact its too sitting though at the weekends.

Jaipore: Sometimes the food here can be good others time too greasy and hot not tasty.

Zen Thai: Have ate here several times since it opened its been good lots of choice and friendly staff. Alchohol is expensive though. Miss tthough the Surma though it was great lovely never ate anything I didn't lsay like.

Nani: I would go for it if you like pizza. I don't!

Has anyone tried the "french" place that is on Limerick Lane.What about places to eat for lunch? Any favourites?

Newbridge Silverware great salad selection good for a "filling healthy" lunch not a bad price.

Hoky Poky: Lovely salads, baked potatoes, dinners always a very reasonable lunch.Very busy at peak times.

Whitewater: Only ate once since it changed management not sure it all seems a little boring and bland.

Cafe Continental: They have not changed their menu in over 5 years... Pricey for not fresh food. I hate anywhere that uses microwaveable bacon.

Very long post will stop now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 EllieN

Bazuki wrote: »

Of course, you can't beat Central Grill when it comes to greasy food, I have yet to find a better chipper anywhere.

:eek:

I have to disagree with you on this one. If you want to try a real chipper try the Borza on Cromwellsfort Road in Walkinstown.

I've been living in Newbridge for nearly 15 years and that's what I miss a lot-a REAL Chipper....

The Granary does a great "One and One" though :D Fresh Cod in a Light Beer Batter and real Mammy chips, yummy!

I agree I go to Kildare for a decent chipper and even at that it's still not as good as the Dublin ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The Capri Grill in Poplar Sq in Naas to decent chips. Also, they are pretty good in Sallins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 afino

I'm amazed by all the positive stuff about La Tavolo d'Oro...I had possibly the worst meal of my life in there recently. Two tables booked for a Saturday night is usually a bad sign!

Donatello's is much better, foods lovely and has a nice atmosphere.

For indian, it's Jaipore all the way - their chicken biryani with hot sauce is amazing. :D

We normally head out of town for chinese. Fab one in Kilcullen (can't think of name) and the new one in Kildare town's pretty sweet. Again, the name escapes me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JoKing1

[Buffalos: Is a glorified chipper! Its quality is iffy and this could be due to the fact that its owned by the same guy who owns abra.

Was in Newbridge on Sunday and noticed Buffalos has been turned into abra.. Does anyone know if Buffalos is closed or has it been relocated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Yea, the new abra is great! Big improvement on the previous one!

Also, Buffalos is still operating from the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hey does anyone know anywhere that's good for Sunday lunch in Newbridge/Naas? Must be child friendly. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Newbridge Silver have a nice restaurant for Sunday Lunch and there are always plenty of little'uns in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

There's no where to get a nice sandwich in Newbridge since Paprika stopped opening during the day. Subway and the fast food in Whitewater gets so boring.

Advertisement