Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any comeback to garage?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

(long story, sorry)

So I took my car (03 Ibiza) in for a service just before Christmas (around the 19th, I think) and while there, I mentioned in passing to the bloke that I'd noticed some 'stuttering' from the car at the higher gears, nothing major still running fine, etc etc.

There was no mention of it when I got the car back and frankly I forgot to ask. I'm stuck in traffic quite a bit, so it wasn't something I notice that often. Anyway, I went home for Xmas, and noticed it quite a bit all the way home. Got my dad to take it out while I was home and without me telling him anything, he immediately noticed the problem.

Car was running fine ish, although I did notice a distinct lack of power when accelerating. Fast forward to yesterday, and it just cut out while going around a roundabout and would not restart. AA came out, monkeyed around with something and got it started again, although if I come to a halt it cuts out, I have to keep revving it. They said that the ERG valve (?) was gone/broke/closed/open or whatever. I'm bringing to a closer garage on Monday to get it fixed, but I wonder if I have any comeback to the garage that serviced it? I'm not up for getting there, it's in the middle of the city and that would cause chaos, but if I have any rights whatsoever, I'd like to contact them first thing and see what they can do.

Is there any guarantee on services? Is this something that could get worse over time and they should have noticed it? Have I any comeback or do I just need to swallow it?

(Supplemental question: assuming the part is in stock and they can fix it there and then, anyone any clue what sort of bunce I'd be expecting to pay?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

corblimey wrote: »
    Is there any guarantee on services? Is this something that could get worse over time and they should have noticed it? Have I any comeback or do I just need to swallow it?
    )

if its a part that is usually replaced or looked at during a service then they should of replaced the part and they didnt so you have comeback.

if its not something that is looked at during a service then its a pre existing problem that you didnt pay them to fix so id imagine you have no comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I think I can see where you are coming from. What you don’t seem to know is what is involved in a service.
    A service is preventative maintenance and in general does not fix faults. Every now and again a service can fix a fault but only if the faulty item is also a normal service item (e.g. faulty spark plug).
    Working on the assumption that the AA man is correct and the EGR valve is faulty then you would have no issue with the garage as the EGR is not a service item.
    The EGR on these is a common fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

No, you've no comeback.

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve is not a 'service' part. It's not changed, checked or otherwise during a routine service. It either works or it doesn't. So if the EGR is faulty now, you've to pay for it to be changed now, and you've nothing to take the service mechanic to task about.

Mentioning that your car 'stutters' a bit at higher revs means SFA to be honest. It could have been anything from fueling to timing to coil-pack problems....Electrical faults, mechanical faults in the drivetrain, a sticking clutch release bearing....Your driving..... You get the picture?

Sorry, but that's how it is.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I have a dodgy EGR valve on my 01 Astra, anybody know a rough price to get one of these replaced?

I've read guides online about taking it out and cleaning it but would much rather pay a professional to replace it than screw about with something I dont know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Vikings wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I have a dodgy EGR valve on my 01 Astra, anybody know a rough price to get one of these replaced?

I've read guides online about taking it out and cleaning it but would much rather pay a professional to replace it than screw about with something I dont know.

yeah., expencive.,lol
    if yours is the 1.2 then even more expencive., id imagine around the 130 upwards mark but opel are know for being expencive on parts so hard to say for sure.,.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I think I can see where you are coming from. What you don’t seem to know is what is involved in a service.
    A service is preventative maintenance and in general does not fix faults. Every now and again a service can fix a fault but only if the faulty item is also a normal service item (e.g. faulty spark plug).
    Working on the assumption that the AA man is correct and the EGR valve is faulty then you would have no issue with the garage as the EGR is not a service item.
    The EGR on these is a common fault.

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. As you said, I really have no idea what's involved in a service, I'm ashamed to say. I really should buy a book about it some day.

Advertisement