Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW window problem

Options
  • 05-01-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a problem in my 318is with the windows.any help is greatly appreciated

When the window is up I can get it to go down to any level I like , however when I try to put the window back up again it will maybe move 2cms up and then begin to go down. it's really odd and happening in both windows.

so I have to put the windows fully down and then I can press the up button and they will go all the way up without stopping.

is this the window regulator thats a fault? they are frameless doors on the car and there seems to be nothing blocking the window coming up.

thanks

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its a problem with the anti-trap mechanism - designed to stop you catching your fingers in it. I think theres a way of resetting it, might need a new sensor though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Mine has the same problem too. very annoying, but ya learn to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My drivers window does it too. Seems to happen at 2 distinct points on the way up. The window doesnt go all the way back down, just drops a cm or so.

Im wondering if this link is exactly the cause; http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238468&highlight=alarm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

it seems that the mechanism is getting rough and with a bit of grease it can be sorted out.
    Get the door panels out and put some grease on the mechanism itself or WD40.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Fionn101, have a look at the door jamb near the latch, i think there's a black L shaped lever, when you close the door it signals the motor to close the window an extra couple of centimetres to make a tight seal against the door rubber.My friends one was faulty and the window would move up and down slightly every so often.Your problem could be down to this little lever although its strange that its happening to both doors at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

looks like it could be the problem described by andrewf20 although I won't have time to take the door trim off and have a look until next weekend.

It's not a sticking problem as there are no frames, and the windows will travel all the way up and all the way down in one movement , they just won't go up from when the windows are slightly open.

I'm going to a bit more asking around before I take the door apart,but that ring in the window motor that commonly comes off seems the most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Id the similar problem with my coupe

Theres a bit of wear in the door lock, I just added a slight piece of mask tape around the u hook on the sill of the door. no probs since. Id the facia off the door the other day, replacing the door lock. 2 screw in the door handle and gently pop it off the clips exposes the window mechanism if u wanna giver some wd40. 5 min job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hopchop

I had the exact same problem with my 318is and I also knew a couple of lads who had BMW's and they all had the same problem. You just get used to it and find a knack of doing it!

Advertisement