Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choice of pubs and clubs

• 05-01-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

hey lad -
    was on the town for post Christmas drinks and wondered what happing our city - one 2 night clubs in a city of 60k people - namely Rubys and Oxygen - we need another Bowery or Roxy for sure -
    and then Pubs - were are the all gone - Paul Flynns, Bowery Bar, Munster, City Arms, Rorkes, Bailey, O'Gradys yard, old stand - im sure theres more - its crazy! what happened to a good pub crawl and a laugh -
    i so miss the Bridge & Roxy!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There are at least two other clubs, the Forum and the Loft

Regarding the pubs, all pubs are losing money lately, and you will have noticed a lot of them having to close their doors in recent years

A lot of them blame things such as off-licences and the smoking ban for this, the price of drink seems like a more likely cause to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Wheres the loft ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

There are at least two other clubs, the Forum and the Loft

Regarding the pubs, all pubs are losing money lately, and you will have noticed a lot of them having to close their doors in recent years

A lot of them blame things such as off-licences and the smoking ban for this, the price of drink seems like a more likely cause to me

A lot of pubs got huge offers for their liecenses' that they couldn't refuse. When the dust cleared they were still left with the building which was also worth a lot of money. it was a win win situation for them.

c - 13 wrote: »
    Wheres the loft ?
    Upstairs in electric avenue, never been there but I think its mostly a house / techno club, doubt you'd find the same crowd in there as in Rubys though, maybe not the best place to go if you're looking for a woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Oh right cheers, I'd always just assumed that it was a late bar is all. Never really thoguht of it as a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

the bridge and the roxy somebody's showing there age all they forgot to mention is egans :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Peppermint Grove......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Put it this way lads, one man has the monopoly of clubs in Waterford, and they are complete dumps, Waterford dose need a new commerical club, but the problem is location, as most peope wont walk down the road, then the cost, most clubs are loosing money, then if it did open, be busy for a few weeks and all the sheep would be back to Rubys or Oxygen.

If a club was in a good location in Waterford and looked like something like Time in Nass. It might just do ok, but for the next few years it looks like Rubys and Oxygen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There aren't enough people out in Waterford to justify another club. Its all very well saying its a city of 60 thousand people but what happens when on a saturday night only 1500 are going to a club? And you can say that Oxygen and Ruby's are crap so get a new club and stick 1500 people in there but where are you going to put it? It'd probably be crap anyway cause very few people have any imagination or the money to do it properly. For example the idiots that did Oxygen also did Time which is why they both have that stupid wood panelling and red lights all over the place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Geoofs, Kaz Bar and EA is okay.

I prefer the pub enviroment, not a club type person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Adyx wrote: »
    There aren't enough people out in Waterford to justify another club. Its all very well saying its a city of 60 thousand people but what happens when on a saturday night only 1500 are going to a club?

But it's not just Waterford City people that go out in Waterford. There's also towns like Tramore, Dunmore etc with 10K plus population.

And when Ten, The Bowery and The Forum (downstairs main room) were open and putting on dance nights people from Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow and even Dublin were coming to Waterford every weekend. Ten and The Forum both held 1,000+ capacity and were nearly full most nights, some nights were complete sell outs when the big international acts played.

But now all those venues are gone for one reason or the other (gardai played their negative role here) and now all that's left are the cheese clubs that one man controls. A lot of people would be very against dance clubs but the fact is they drew in a load of people (and their money!) from all over and for a few years Waterford had the best night life on offer outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

gardai negative role....could you elaborate please?

gardai negative role....could you elaborate please?

there was a thread about this here a few months back.

long story short, the local gardai were putting pressure on certain night club owners to stop putting on dance nights.

Ten and The Bowery might have been busy for the big dance nights or whatever but thats not much good on a normal Saturday night when there's no one in. Clubs cost money to run even when they're not open and neither Ten nor Bowery were making enough money to stay open. It had nothing to do with the guards(at least regards Ten). And all those DJ's cost an absolute fortune. So you make nothing on the door and the bar sales are rubbish too coz you're only giving out water. The exact same thing happened in The Rhythm Room when we had Dj's like Marshall Jefferson there. Made no money despite being full. The point I was making is that while there might be a large catchment area, there actually isnt enough people out on a Saturday night to fill Rubys and Oxygen, (I don't know about the Forum) let alone another club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It always cracks me up the way people say there are no clubs in Waterford because they only consider the clubs they go to.

To the best of my knowledge there are, Muldoons/Oxygen, Ruby's, Electric Avenue, Harvey's, The Forum, The Bowery (if it's still open) and someone mentioned the Loft, which I know nothing about. We could do with a few more smaller clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The point I was making is that while there might be a large catchment area, there actually isnt enough people out on a Saturday night to fill Rubys and Oxygen, (I don't know about the Forum) let alone another club.

That's because people won't get up off their arses for any old crap.

Ten and The Bowery might have been busy for the big dance nights or whatever but thats not much good on a normal Saturday night when there's no one in. Clubs cost money to run even when they're not open and neither Ten nor Bowery were making enough money to stay open. It had nothing to do with the guards(at least regards Ten).

Well the Bowery would've been open during the day all week as a pub and had gigs on at the weekend so should've been making money. But it got bought by City Council anyway so it doesn't matter. The law played their part with regard to dance nights, it was discussed in another thread so i'm not going to get into it again, if you've ever been to the Forum on a dance night you'll understand the impact they have. You are probably right about Ten, it was only ever open on the weekends and not making a big enough profit for the owners.
    And all those DJ's cost an absolute fortune. So you make nothing on the door and the bar sales are rubbish too coz you're only giving out water.

Yes the dj's can be expensive but the ticket prices reflect this; for any big name dj it was always at least €20+ a ticket. Multiply that by 1,000 and you have €20k. Granted there are promotional costs, expenses, rates on the venue etc. but i'm sure there was profit being made. And I don't buy that thing about selling nothing but water, that's an overstatement. There might not be as much drink sold as other clubs but there's definitely large amounts of drink sold.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

there was a thread about this here a few months back.

long story short, the local gardai were putting pressure on certain night club owners to stop putting on dance nights.

And you have proof of this?

Well, going on what a few club promoters (not the venue owners) said here and on other message boards, apparently the local law wrote letters to venue owners requesting/threatening them not to have any dance nights. Basically it was a case of "if you run a dance night we'll be hassling ye every chance we get" kind of thing, from what i remember.

So no I don't have hard proof myself but i don't see any reason why promoters would lie about this, unless it was a case of misinterpretation/exaggeration on their part. The law got the Metroland closed down years ago so i don't see why they wouldn't do it again.

what were the reasons they didn't want dance nights held?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Well, going on what a few club promoters (not the venue owners) said here and on other message boards, apparently the local law wrote letters to venue owners requesting/threatening them not to have any dance nights. Basically it was a case of "if you run a dance night we'll be hassling ye every chance we get" kind of thing, from what i remember.

I find it hard to believe they put anything like that in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

i went to forum on ocasion for dance nights - plain cloths cops taking guys into a side room and checking for drugs - same towards the end of ten club ---- tough to get people in when they are being searched!!!!!
    as for the loft - got offered drugs 3 times last sat night --- easier to get drugs than get a drink!!!!!!!
    we ddi a tour over xmas - 4 of us --- was weird in Kazbar everyone seemed to leave before 12 to go to rubys --- and kazbar is a lete bar - no cover charge - cheaper drinks
    we then went to Revolution - another late bar - 30 - 40 people in a huge venue - bar man told me they are full till 12 - then everyone goes to Rubys - pays a tenner in (more over xmas) and an extra euro for most drinks ----
    its a mad city ---- but the choice of venue is there --- mostly on John st!!!!

Yes the dj's can be expensive but the ticket prices reflect this; for any big name dj it was always at least €20+ a ticket. Multiply that by 1,000 and you have €20k.

When Marshall Jefferson DJ'd in The Rhythm Room he was around GB£21,000 if I remember correctly. We made nothing on the door. I spent most of the night giving out pints of water so the bar did fcuk all as well. Its not as bad as that now alright (Groove Armada in Ten was the biggest night they ever had) but you have to realise that you have to take in a ridiculous amount of money to make it worthwhile.

The Bowery Bar may have been open seven nights a week but there was never anyone in there and the last time I was at a gig in there (Pearl Jam vs Nirvana) there was mostly silly emo kids who spent nothing at the bar.

I can't say for certain about the Forum but Ten closing had nothing to do with the Guards. All the remaining DJ nights booked for Ten were moved to Oxygen when it closed and there was no hassle with guards. Why would there be? It was an easy way for them to pick up dealers. :D

Well, going on what a few club promoters (not the venue owners) said here and on other message boards,

No they didnt? I cant find anything to back that statement up. A couple of people posted claiming it to be true, but a large majority of people said it was rubbish.

The thread in question can be read here:

If there are other posts or topics I missed, please let me know.
    The law got the Metroland closed down years ago so i don't see why they wouldn't do it again.

From what I can see, I fully support the law shutting it down:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52952306&postcount=47

Sully wrote: »
    No they didnt? I cant find anything to back that statement up. A couple of people posted claiming it to be true, but a large majority of people said it was rubbish.

The thread in question can be read here:

If there are other posts or topics I missed, please let me know.

From what I can see, I fully support the law shutting it down:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52952306&postcount=47

yeah i just checked the thread, seems it was only a friend of a promoter who made the initial claims in that thread. i think it was on another forum so where it was claimed by a promoter. probably a mixture of some elements of truth and some typical rumours in the story.
    what were the reasons they didn't want dance nights held?
    drugs
    I find it hard to believe they put anything like that in writing
    yeah thinking about it now, they would have been stupid to put anything in writing.
    i went to forum on ocasion for dance nights - plain cloths cops taking guys into a side room and checking for drugs - same towards the end of ten club ---- tough to get people in when they are being searched!!!!!
    true, they treated customers like **** in the forum. not sure about ten, as i missed the last few gigs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

dresscode in oxygen is stripey hoodey, tracksuits and nike airs

dresscode in oxygen is stripey hoodey, tracksuits and nike airs

There Has never been anyone in there wearing a tracksuit! And whats your point? Just coz a scumbag dresses up to get into Ruby's doesn't make him any less of a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

very true - there are scumbags everywhere these days - well dressed etc ----but whats the Rubys logic with " no hoodies "policy - and if ur wearing one u cant even leave it in cloak room
    method or madness????? what next --- no red jackets on friday nights and no black ones on saturday???

very true - there are scumbags everywhere these days - well dressed etc ----but whats the Rubys logic with " no hoodies "policy - and if ur wearing one u cant even leave it in cloak room
    method or madness????? what next --- no red jackets on friday nights and no black ones on saturday???
    Yeah thats a bit ridicoulous, even if your coat has a hoody on a rainy night they won't let you in

• Advertisement

is it no hoods or not hoodies?....no hoods is just crazy......glad i avoid that place like the plague

Advertisement