Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choice of pubs and clubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ruby's are a bit up their own arse. Have you seen their website - "Jewel in the crown of The Tweedy Group" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I was out in town recently, I couldn’t get over some of the prices, It was Easter Sunday bank holiday weekend, as I have being living in the UK for a few months, people are getting screwed over here in clubs.

First port of call the Sunday night was, Geoff’s, not a bad spot, fairly busy, then we had a look in ruby’s, I felt old in there, There must be a lot of Fake I.D going in Waterford, how the club hasn’t being done for under age I don’t know.

I don’t know if it was me but I couldn’t get over the price of a pint in there, then we took a trip down to Harvey’s. Another complete and utter rip off, and clubs here are complaining they are loosing customers, I wonder why that is, screwing people on the price of drink.

Only good thing about Harvey’s was the smoking area, didn’t stay there to long one of my friends wanted to go to Dignity, Was never in there, and was never really in a gay bar. Was a bit on the nervous side walking up there.

But I have to say I was proved very wrong, atmosphere and music were excellent, in there, really good spot, only thing I would say it was a bit to packed, and the drink was still pricey side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Was out Easter Saturday Night went to Downes's for a few then to the forum. Downes's was great with pretty good drink prices (3 pints < 12euro) Went up to forum then tenner in and got a free cd of the Easter sessions. Atmosphere was good and they played a great set. Drink was a bit pricey 5.50 for a pint and 8 for a jd and coke. Still good night and better than most I've had down in the john street area :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ec18 wrote: »
    is it no hoods or not hoodies?....no hoods is just crazy......glad i avoid that place like the plague

me too, havent been in there in about 2 years. The last time i was in there we walked in and literally walked right back out, some load of children in there and pathetic music...maybe its better now:confused:but i dont wanna risk it!

I was out in town recently, I couldn’t get over some of the prices, It was Easter Sunday bank holiday weekend, as I have being living in the UK for a few months, people are getting screwed over here in clubs.

so true...myself and my boyfriend were in manchester in Jan and the difference in the price was rediculus...your talkin a full bottle of wine(and thats nice stuff,not crap) in a nightclub for £5....you'd pay €5-6 a glass here:mad:

• Advertisement

Put it to you this way, work in a club on Monday nights in Birmingham, it’s a student night, but they charge £10 pounds on the door and they only serve bottles, basically free drink for the night. Don’t think they allow this in Ireland. Just a major difference.Ten euros would barely get you 2 pints in a club in Ireland

Put it to you this way, work in a club on Monday nights in Birmingham, it’s a student night, but they charge £10 pounds on the door and they only serve bottles, basically free drink for the night. Don’t think they allow this in Ireland. Just a major difference.Ten euros would barely get you 2 pints in a club in Ireland

imagine the chaos if there was free drink all night long !?!:eek: when i was in chicago we used to go to pubs and clubs where they sold $1pitchers ($2 in some places)...it was nuts:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thought that kinda thing was banned across Europe along with the "Happy Hour" crack?!

Yeah a lot of countrys it is allright, how they are getting away with it I dont know, but it gets the punters in. and then world war 3 on the streets at end of the night:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Has to be the Forum for a night club all the rest are sh*t. The Forum plays great music!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Bit off topic , but said id mention it as the price of drink being discussed too. I was in the Seanti pub in kilmacow last sat night, all bottles €2.50 ie. Bud, miller etc. Had more than a few at the price. Then the " customer loyalty scheme" kicked in from 9 - 10, all drinks €2.50, pints, large bottles , spirits etc . The place was jointed. Just goes to show they can still make a few quid at the price. More pubs should take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I dont know if i'm showing my age(early 20's) or what but on my last trip into one of the clubs in Town who i'll keep nameless, on a Saturday night,honestly it felt like it was like a teenies disco in there.
    Whether its a unofficial policy to let any dodgy i.d. in because they have money to spend in a recession, or something else but the whole thing just dident feel right. I know theres always been underagers in pubs etc but it just seemed rediculous.
    Not a chance that at least 20-30percent were 18+ and the music...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    I dont know if i'm showing my age(early 20's) or what but on my last trip into one of the clubs in Town who i'll keep nameless, on a Saturday night,honestly it felt like it was like a teenies disco in there.
    Whether its a unofficial policy to let any dodgy i.d. in because they have money to spend in a recession, or something else but the whole thing just dident feel right. I know theres always been underagers in pubs etc but it just seemed rediculous.
    Not a chance that at least 20-30percent were 18+ and the music...

I think I know the club in question. Iv actually stopped people in there and said "Answer me honestly, what age are you?". Of course they lied and said 18.

Its scary the amount of teens in there that MUST be under 18!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I think I know the club in question. Iv actually stopped people in there and said "Answer me honestly, what age are you?". Of course they lied and said 18.

Its scary the amount of teens in there that MUST be under 18!

Hey Sully, there is light at the end of the tunnel, Muldoons,proper tunes (in my opinion) for us 80's kids and its not a creche:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 araisaris

dunno about that full of 18 yos last sat nite!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

araisaris wrote: »
    dunno about that full of 18 yos last sat nite!!

and the pints in there have to be the worst served in town,****ing disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sully wrote: »

LOL Sully do you actually make a habit of going around nightclubs checking if people are the correct age?

(from last year...)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57732177&postcount=3

Waterford will be kept safe from underage kids in clubs as long as Sully is Moderating the City. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

KevIRL wrote: »
    LOL Sully do you actually make a habit of going around nightclubs checking if people are the correct age?

(from last year...)

Waterford will be kept safe from underage kids in clubs as long as Sully is Moderating the City. :pac::pac:

Brilliant :pac::pac::pac:

Why is the club remaining nameless by the way? It's only somebody expressing their opinion that some people in there were under 18.

KevIRL wrote: »

(from last year...)

lol that was the same time/event/club. I very rarely go out to clubs, i usually prefer pubs or house events!

Nicely spotted though!

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Why is the club remaining nameless by the way? It's only somebody expressing their opinion that some people in there were under 18.

Ill ask the legal mods to take a look and decide, usually the recommended approach is to avoid naming names. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I was in Oxygen a few weeks ago for my 30th bday and I felt about 60, all the (possibly underage) girls in there had short short skirts, vest tops and high heels they couldn't walk in. It was like a knacker wedding. I had to hold on tight to my handbag all night, I just felt unsafe tbh. Such a contrast to Dignity, some laugh even if the place is jammers. Needless to say I won't be returning to Oxygen again, what a kip. I was assaulted by some prick the last time I was in Rubys - he thought it would be a great laugh to slap my arse really hard and run off, yeah very funny, I had a bruise for weeks after. I find that place is where all the farmers go. I used to love Egans, the Roxy and the Metroland, ah the good ould days..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Beeker wrote: »
    Has to be the Forum for a night club all the rest are sh*t. The Forum plays great music!

Yes, it was great the first time I heard their setlist - I think that was in the bowery around five years ago. It's getting a little stale.

Great crowd though. But I wish they'd stop doing deals with Irish drink companies.. Pippins is shíte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

he thought it would be a great laugh to slap my arse really hard and run off, yeah very funny, I had a bruise for weeks after.

Sorry, My Bad!! :D

I can't stand clubs TBH, I wouldn't go near any of them. We generally make our way to Geoffs (I'm not mad about it there either espically when it gets busy) and then onto Harvey's, God I miss Baker street. Used to have some laugh in there and Temple Bar when they had a lock in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Have to say, these pubs and clubs threads really get boring. Too young in Rubys. Too dear in Harveys. We hate clubs. We love Geoffs, Downes and the forum. We get it already!!! If you don't like a place, just don't go to it?!!

Harveys is the best looking bar in town and only has a limited number of nights that it can make its money, it may be the most expensive bar in town but the place is full every weekend so they can charge what they like. I have to laugh when I see you guys complaining about the price but going in anyway. The realisation about this situation is that 90% of you buy your drink from the supermarket and drink at home...and when you go out, you just want to try and recreate this scenario as closely as possible. Geoffs and Downes look like someone's front room so that will suit a lof of yiz.

Geoffs and Downes do not have the overheads that the Tweedy bars and Harveys have so how can they offer the same service as, let's say, a Geoffs.

Let me give you my personal opinion about geoffs....it's ok for a pint midweek but in general I have nothing but contempt for it. It's run by possibly the cheapest bar owners in the galaxy and yet it always gets great press on this forum. No lucozade, no red bull, no smirnoff vodka...all cheap alternatives. One of the bigger venues (i can't remember which) changed to burn instead of red bull and got savaged by people...yet geoffs continue to sell the cheapest, poorest quality drinks and the people love it. I suppose in a way I should say fair play to them!

Rubys, i was actually in last night. Paid a fiver on the door. Place looked a lot better than I remember but wasn't that busy. Sign of the times I suppose. The argument about the underage people is an age old one but I'm not really sure what they can do if someone looks 18 or over and has i.d. to back it up. There should be more of a clamp down on fake ids tbh. A 15 year old cousin of mine (who, ok, looks older...but is 15!) was in Revolution, Dignity, Harveys and Rubys last weekend...that's just not right.

I think instead of constantly complaining about what we hate about our city and its clubs, we should constructively post about what changes we'd like to see. And realistic changes would be preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The realisation about this situation is that 90% of you buy your drink from the supermarket and drink at home...and when you go out, you just want to try and recreate this scenario as closely as possible. Geoffs and Downes look like someone's front room so that will suit a lof of yiz..

Let me give you my personal opinion about geoffs....it's ok for a pint midweek but in general I have nothing but contempt for it. It's run by possibly the cheapest bar owners in the galaxy and yet it always gets great press on this forum. No lucozade, no red bull, no smirnoff vodka...all cheap alternatives. One of the bigger venues (i can't remember which) changed to burn instead of red bull and got savaged by people...yet geoffs continue to sell the cheapest, poorest quality drinks and the people love it. I suppose in a way I should say fair play to them!

The reason why people like these pubs probably has a lot to do with the comfort factor, yes. What makes them different from the house at home is the buzz and all the other people. Geoffs and Downses are perfect because they don't get a tatty makeover every 2 years and attract the sort of people that **** the places up.

Having said that, I agree, if people don't like a place, don't go there. Horses for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

merlante wrote: »
    The reason why people like these pubs probably has a lot to do with the comfort factor, yes. What makes them different from the house at home is the buzz and all the other people. Geoffs and Downses are perfect because they don't get a tatty makeover every 2 years and attract the sort of people that **** the places up.

Having said that, I agree, if people don't like a place, don't go there. Horses for courses.

Perfect example of what I mean here. I've seen posts here in the past about how people think a venue is in dire need of a makeover. Surely people like drinking in places that look as well as harveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Perfect example of what I mean here. I've seen posts here in the past about how people think a venue is in dire need of a makeover. Surely people like drinking in places that look as well as harveys.

I don't think that Geoffs looks bad though, it's a different look. It's a traditional Irish pub look with a few trendy frills. Harvey's is done up but looks pretty gaudy in places. It depends on the look the owners are going for. New does not necessarily mean good.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Hey lads, need to find this out somewhere.

I'm going to the Forum for a gig in 2 weeks [Friendly Fires] and although I'm 18, I want to bring my sister [17]
    How strict on they on ID and whatnot?

Also, what's the place like on the inside?
    Good atmosphere..etc..etc...
    Would appreciate some feedback.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Geoff's and Electric avenue are fine but to be honest Downe's pub is the best of all of em.

And snazzy the Forum have never been strict about Id in all the time I've gonge there,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

snazzy wrote: »
    Hey lads, need to find this out somewhere.

I'm going to the Forum for a gig in 2 weeks [Friendly Fires] and although I'm 18, I want to bring my sister [17]
    How strict on they on ID and whatnot?

Also, what's the place like on the inside?
    Good atmosphere..etc..etc...
    Would appreciate some feedback.
    Cheers.

leave her at home unless she actually has i.d

they will ask you for it

Advertisement