Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go for ISP based in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have been with BT for some years and since I live in county derry, I wonder if my ping times could be improved if I go for the local ISP such as UTV?

Isn't UTV server based in Belfast? What is the drawback of this if I visit UK and US websites regularly, even playing multiplayer games?

I'm curious to know how the internet work especially with Ireland and UK!

The reason is that BT's price isn't value for money and the speed can be a bit slow at times, that is despite having a solid connections for many days without disconnecting.

Also I'm looking at fast.co.uk that is based in south England and is one of the best ISP around, just a bit pricey but you get what you pay for!

UTV prices seemed to be on a bit cheap side, why is that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 barnettgs

Never mind, I got the reply on other forums and I'm going for fast.co.uk.

From what I am told, the physical location of ISP doesn't make a difference unless you live in an area with a limited choice of ISPs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It does make a difference , good luck anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 barnettgs

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It does make a difference , good luck anyway
    Care to explain? I haven't ring up BT for MAC just yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This board is about ISPs down south , not about ISPs up north , so I don't want to confuse matters because I know feck all about fast vs bt vs utv AND because things can change if an isp tales on too many punters :(

I do know about telehouse and the linx etc :)

Advertisement