Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding new HDD

Options
  • 05-01-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

ok - I'm going to add a new hdd to my system and I have a couple of questions.

My current drive is chugging away, but during games it can slow down the game as it chuggs aways at something.

I want to make the new drive the primary drive and load my winxp onto it and use the old drive as a secondary. Should there be any probs running the games from the secondary drive? or will I have to reload (which means finding boxes/manuals with cd-keys, remembering passwords etc...:( )

If the 2nd drive only has to cope with the games and not the OS I mightn't get thse big slowdowns during intense combat!! hopefully anyway..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DonalN wrote: »
    ok - I'm going to add a new hdd to my system and I have a couple of questions.

My current drive is chugging away, but during games it can slow down the game as it chuggs aways at something.

I want to make the new drive the primary drive and load my winxp onto it and use the old drive as a secondary. Should there be any probs running the games from the secondary drive? or will I have to reload (which means finding boxes/manuals with cd-keys, remembering passwords etc...:( )

If the 2nd drive only has to cope with the games and not the OS I mightn't get thse big slowdowns during intense combat!! hopefully anyway..

More RAM would help take the load of the HDD instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

If the 2nd drive only has to cope with the games and not the OS I mightn't get thse big slowdowns during intense combat!!
    hopefully anyway..

Does this work?

I have my pc setup in raid at the moment,but im thinking about disabling it and using two hard drives seperatly..one for general use with os,other for games and movies like

Bad idea performance wise?

Edit:Sorry for hijacking your thread Donal...

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Edit:Sorry for hijacking your thread Donal...

no bother - I'm wondering the same thing myself.

here's a question - how do you know how much extra hdd space a game needs when running? i read once about keeping your hdd about 2/3rds full - is this related to running games?

Advertisement