Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to get a pistol license?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

I have been shooting since I was 16 and I have 2 licensed shotguns, a 12 and a 20 bore.

I was mooching around the internet and I came across this.

Now I think that is a great looking gun, and have held and used an airsoft full metal Sig P226 and loved it, this is 90% the size of a 226 so it should feel similar.

I'm not, nor have I ever been part of a gun club, but there is one locally, so that won't be a huge job to sort out, there is a target range within driving distance, so I have somewhere to use it.

So what I'm wondering is, what do I need to do to get a license to get this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Alot of luck and a friendly super!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The SIG Mosquito is ment to be utter crap but thats only what
    I have read. I have no practical experiance with it whatsoever.
    Lovely looking and so so so affordable.

For Pistol you will need to be a member of a Gun Club and the pistol can
    only be used for Target Shooting. From what I have read on this board
    the Supers tend to insist on a monitored alarm! I dont know if this means
    eircom phone watch or if a autodialer alarm would be suffice.
    But I have do know peeps with Pistols that DONT have an alarm and that
    got issued a cert.

Heard lots of horror stories about people trying to get Pistol Licenses,
    yet A lad in work with me bought a 2nd Hand Sig P229 applied for the license
    and got it without any questions asked!!!! He was surprised he got it!

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

bullets is 100% correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I've heard much the same as bullets with the added confusion of some people saying that they've got great ones. Only problem with these people is that they've never actually said waht they were using it for, or what distances they were shooting at, so I doubt it's much good for target.

I've heard it compared to the Walther P22 (which I have fired) and which is complete cr*p and a total waste of money.

I would just add this.

If you are going to go to the expense of getting a pistol licence with all the aggravation and hoopla required and the cost of membership of a club, then my advice is get a good one and only cry once :)

Better still, do as Sparks always says; visit your local club, talk to the members, join up and use club guns and get a feel for what you really need before you start applying for licences. Pictures on the interspend are not going to tell you what a pistol is really like until you have it in your hand and hate it. :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

rrpc wrote: »
    Better still, do as Sparks always says; visit your local club, talk to the members, join up and use club guns and get a feel for what you really need before you start applying for licenses.

This is solid gold, 100% great advice.

The pistol you want to buy will depend entirely on the kind of shooting you intend to do with it. For example, if you want to do practical pistol, then the kind of pistol rrpc has is no use for you. If you want to do ISSF style pistol then all the Les Baer custom .45s in the world won't get you in the door.

Try to find out the kind of shooting you want to do (by trying all the ones you can), then ask around to find the best tool for the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement