Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd party is selling a car - should I ask for proof of owners permission?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I like a car on CBG so I phoned the mobile number.
    It doesnt have nct but has a checklist of things to be done - will be checked by mechanic prior to sale.

I spoke with the daughter who will drive the car from Tip to Dublin for me to view.

Should I ask for a signed letter confirming the seller wants to sell and photo ID from the mother?

We agreed on a Bank Draft in the mothers name if I want to proceed with the sale.

Its a lot of money and Im nervous is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The mothers signature will have to be on the VLC to change ownership, this is just as fakeable as a letter though... ID with the address on it (same address as the VLC of course!) might give a bit more reassurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

She resisted when I initially asked her to bring photo ID of her mother, when really I need way more than that it seems. Like utility bill, photo ID and I may ask for DNA sample on the day :-)

Its so much easier to deal with a garage, but its a suspiciously cheap car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    its a suspiciously cheap car!

Plenty of used cars for sale this time of year, why get involved in
    something that smells dodgy? If I was you I'd go with my suspicions
    and hunch and look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Unless you have a photo ID of the mother/owner and actually meet them in person walk away, I would also insist on meeting them at their home address as otherwise you could be buying a stolen car. Think about it, the person could simply have robbed the car and it had the VLC form in the glovebox or something, it all signs far too dodgy, why would a seller drive all the way from Tipp to Dublin to sell when there is no guarantee that you will buy it at all as you have never even seen the car. If the car is stolen it will be seized by the Gardai and you will get zero.

Also I wouldn't touch a car without a valid NCT, the checklist is useless and has no validity of what needs to be done with the car, a failed NCT with printout would actually be better. When buying a car if it sounds too good to be true it normally is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd suggest you go and meet the seller to conclude the deal. get the car FULLY checked out beforehand, and be certain all the things that needed attention have been sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Is there a central data base that OP can enquire from using car reg no. to confirm current owner details or find out whether said car has been reported stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    She resisted when I initially asked her to bring photo ID of her mother, when really I need way more than that it seems. Like utility bill, photo ID and I may ask for DNA sample on the day :-)

Its so much easier to deal with a garage, but its a suspiciously cheap car!

I wouldn't touch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

port wrote: »
    Is there a central data base that OP can enquire from using car reg no. to confirm current owner details or find out whether said car has been reported stolen?

Problem is owner may be on holidays and car may not be reported as stolen yet, whole thing is about as dodgy as someone offering you O'Connell Street Bridge for €27.50 on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Id give that a miss and continue the search for a car ......

Advertisement