Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues Finding Addresses - Garmin Nuvi 250W

Options
  • 05-01-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a question to any Garmin users - The father in law got a Nuvi250W for Christmas. Address searches are straightforward - select Country, Enter City, Enter House Number, Enter Street Address.. We've noticed some addresses which are clearly on the map display but for the life of us we don't seem to be able to be able to select them from the address 'where to' search.

For example; Today he was going to "Coolmine Industrial Estate" - we couldn't find it on the address search. I eventually found it by browsing the map and touching the screen at random in the area (but that isn't exactly too useful if you didn't know the area - kinda defeats the purpose of Sat Nav eh?).

So i'm just wondering if we are doing something wrong or do other have similar issues - Is it a Garmin issue or does it effect other SatNav units.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, you're right .. it can be a PITA to find some addresses. I know someone who lives in Monkstown (or at least that's where she says she lives, but my nuvi thinks it's in Blackrock. Who's right? I haven't a clue. It's the same with all the various parts of Dublin, some of which seem to appear as separate "towns" and others you just have to know which postal district they're in. Industrial estates seem to appear on the maps, but not necessarily in the list of addresses which require a street name, or in the POI's either.

Roll on the introduction of postcodes I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Alun wrote: »

Roll on the introduction of postcodes I say!

I agree 100%. Its a pain to find places in this country without a proper street address. The postcode system would completly sort that out. I've dealt with address finding software for the UK and the postcode narrows it down no end, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I use this to do pizza deliveries part time and have this problem alot.
    It happens with streets, estates also. I might be looking for a green, court, avenue but I may have difficulty finding the court in the search where as the court is clearly marked on the map when i manually browse it. Very Silly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is there any way to turn off the predictive search results on the 250w? For instance say you are looking for a place called Manorfield Green in Kildare, as soon as you type Man it automatically goes to a screen with a couple of streets than begin with Man, like Manorly Park or Mansfield Close despite Manorfield Green clearly being on the map if you browse it in the view map section.

I also found when I was searching England for Cumbria, the first time I typed in Cumb it went to the predictive screen which had Cumbria as one of the options and I was able to find the precise street I was looking for. I tried searching for Cumbria again a couple of hours later, the exact same way I had previously but when I typed in Cum it automatically went to the predictive search screen with some place like Cumford as the only result. Now as soon as I type Cum it automatically goes to the predictive search screen with that one result.

Overall its a good gps but I think my older TomTom One was a much better device as it was a lot more customisable, simple things like a QWERTY search option, a lot more english speaking voices including Aonghus from Clontarf. Another thing I miss is the ability to set the volume to adjust so it corresponds with your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nephew wrote: »
    Is there any way to turn off the predictive search results on the 250w? For instance say you are looking for a place called Manorfield Green in Kildare, as soon as you type Man it automatically goes to a screen with a couple of streets than begin with Man, like Manorly Park or Mansfield Close despite Manorfield Green clearly being on the map if you browse it in the view map section.
    Funny, on my 760 (with V10 maps) I can't find any streets called Man<anything> in Kildare (town).
    I also found when I was searching England for Cumbria, the first time I typed in Cumb it went to the predictive screen which had Cumbria as one of the options and I was able to find the precise street I was looking for. I tried searching for Cumbria again a couple of hours later, the exact same way I had previously but when I typed in Cum it automatically went to the predictive search screen with some place like Cumford as the only result. Now as soon as I type Cum it automatically goes to the predictive search screen with that one result.
    That's odd because Cumbria isn't a town, it's a county, and as far as I can tell I can't enter an address with the county as part of the address. Also, I've not detected any kind of learning behaviour such as you described when searching for addresses yet.
    Overall its a good gps but I think my older TomTom One was a much better device as it was a lot more customisable, simple things like a QWERTY search option, a lot more english speaking voices including Aonghus from Clontarf. Another thing I miss is the ability to set the volume to adjust so it corresponds with your speed.
    On my 760 I can set the keyboard to QWERTY if I want, I'd assume it'd be the same on the 250W.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Alun wrote: »
    Funny, on my 760 (with V10 maps) I can't find any streets called Man<anything> in Kildare (town).

That's odd because Cumbria isn't a town, it's a county, and as far as I can tell I can't enter an address with the county as part of the address. Also, I've not detected any kind of learning behaviour such as you described when searching for addresses yet.

On my 760 I can set the keyboard to QWERTY if I want, I'd assume it'd be the same on the 250W.

I made up the streets in Kildare that began with Man, I was using it as an example of a pretty frustrating problem that some streets refuse to be found when searching.

edit/ I typed in Cumbria in the 'spell city/postal code' then the street and it gave me the address I wanted. The next time I tried this method as soon as I type Cumb it brought me to a screen with Cumbersworth, LINCS as the only option. But if I power it off and clear the recently found menu it will sometimes allow me to search for Cumbria the aforementioned way.

Advertisement