Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Best and Worst Discworld novels

• 05-01-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I'm currently reading Moving Pictures and thought of this thread because I feel Moving Pictures is one of Pratchett's weakest Discworld novels. Anyway, post what you think are the 5 best and 5 worst books the discworld has to offer, maybe even with some explanation if you feel like it. ;)

5 Best

1. Small Gods - It's hard to choose a best discworld book because there's such a choice and a lot of it comes down to personal preference but this is what I always recommend to new discworld readers because (in my opinion) it has some really interesting ideas on religion and the nature of belief and is a stand alone story that came just as Pratchett was getting into the swing of writing about discworld.

2. Men at Arms - This was difficult to choose but the Guards series is my favourite and I'd consider this the strongest of them.

3. Interesting Times - Rincewind is awesome, classic Discworld, and I read this when I was studying Japanese, so the parody of culture was pretty funny, I thought.

4. Thief of Time - The first book (I think), where the History Monks played a big part and I just liked the idea. :)

5. The Last Continent - Same reasons as Interesting Times really. I liked the metaphysical/philosophical undertones of Aboriginal lore also.

5 worst

1. Moving Pictures - While it has it's moments, It seemed kind of forced and didn't quite fit the discworld style.

2. Going Postal - Found it too close to a direct parody of our own world, and not a fan of Moist von Lipwig, although I haven't read Making Money yet so I'll wait and see.

3. The Colour of Magic - (Possibly) a lot of people will disagree with me on this choice seeing as it's the first book and laid a lot of the groundwork and ideas for Discworld, but I don't think Pratchett had quite gotten into the swing of it and it just didn't have the same quality as the later books

4. Soul Music - Same reasons as Moving Pictures, fun but didn't do it for me.

5. Witches Abroad - It's hard to make a list of the 5 worst discworld books, because none of them are actually bad but this was the one that least stood out for me when I was reading over the list of novels. :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I agree and disagree... :)

Small gods was his best book - legendary.
    Interesting times... absolutely brilliant.
    Men at Arms. Brilliant too - My favorite was night watch though.

Going Postal and Moving Pictures in the worst? Not at all. I loved both of them. Moving pictures was hilarious - negglyiggle!!

The colour of magic wasn't bad either. In fact, to hell with this, I have not read a discworld book that I didn't like :)

Up there as my favorites along with the above, any book with death as one of the main characters - Mort, The Hogfather, etc. and of the wizard stories.

Actually, I'm sorry but I'm an unashamed Terry Pratchett fanboy! I love all of the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I really haven't read enough of prachett but in terms of top three...

Best
    1. Nightwatch
    2. Carpe Jugulum
    3. Monstrous Regiment
    4. Going Postal

Weakest (proportionatly)
    1. Wee Free Men (Although the Mac NacFeegle (sp?) are genious)
    2. The colour of magic (More of a standalone... still)

I love all of his books, his humur and writting skills are amazing,

I love small gods and i love any of the books that have the witches or Lucca Wooden Jelly in them, the problem i find is that there isnt the full selection of the books in the shops and iv no credit card to buy online. Where is a good place to get the books that i havent read yet. Iv tried easons and other smaller book stores. Im looking for the wee free men to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I imagine you could get a good swathe of them in a dual-strike on Hodges Figgis and Waterstones on Dawson Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

Well its Hard to put it,
    Best:
    1. Men At Arms (you gotta love the Watch Series, and its were it all gets good)
    2. Theif Of Time (Lu Tze, Suzan, The FIVE horse-men of the Apocolypse)
    3. Guards! Guards! (Well its got a good Dragon Story)
    4. Wyrd Sisters (who doesn't love a good Shakespeare Rip-off)
    5. Monsterous Regiment (I just enjoy reading it...)

Worst:
    1. Moving Pictures (Was bored by page 15)
    2. Eric (read through it, and felt like throwing it away)
    3. Interesting Times (Not so Interesting)
    4. The Last Continent Rincewind again, does not entertain me)
    5. The Truth (William is just not funny, i like Otto though)

those are probably my favourites and pet-peeve ones i've got..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

[quote=[Deleted User];55082654]I love all of his books, his humur and writting skills are amazing,

I love small gods and i love any of the books that have the witches or Lucca Wooden Jelly in them, the problem i find is that there isnt the full selection of the books in the shops and iv no credit card to buy online. Where is a good place to get the books that i havent read yet. Iv tried easons and other smaller book stores. Im looking for the wee free men to buy.[/QUOTE]

the best Audio Books in My opinion are in Hoggis and Figges and Waterstone, while where ever i go in Dun Laoghiare i've found the Full collection ready to buy..
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

[quote=[Deleted User];55082654]I love all of his books, his humur and writting skills are amazing,

I love small gods and i love any of the books that have the witches or Lucca Wooden Jelly in them, the problem i find is that there isnt the full selection of the books in the shops and iv no credit card to buy online. Where is a good place to get the books that i havent read yet. Iv tried easons and other smaller book stores. Im looking for the wee free men to buy.[/QUOTE]

I've heard of a new type of voucher scheme - 3V vouchers - that are accepted everywhere VISA is. You could email amazon and ask if they are acceptable? I'm not sure if I can include a link to the voucher website but if you google.ie it you'll find it. The 3V site says thay are acepted on ebay as well.

Good luck
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Enlil_Nick wrote: »

5 worst

1. Moving Pictures - While it has it's moments, It seemed kind of forced and didn't quite fit the discworld style.

2. Going Postal - Found it too close to a direct parody of our own world, and not a fan of Moist von Lipwig, although I haven't read Making Money yet so I'll wait and see.

3. The Colour of Magic - (Possibly) a lot of people will disagree with me on this choice seeing as it's the first book and laid a lot of the groundwork and ideas for Discworld, but I don't think Pratchett had quite gotten into the swing of it and it just didn't have the same quality as the later books

4. Soul Music - Same reasons as Moving Pictures, fun but didn't do it for me.

5. Witches Abroad - It's hard to make a list of the 5 worst discworld books, because none of them are actually bad but this was the one that least stood out for me when I was reading over the list of novels. :p

With the exception of Witches Abroad, they are my favourites. I would add in Reaper Man instead of Witches Abroad, and Guards Guards! gets an honourable mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

My top 5 would be:

1. Reaper Man (can't get enough of Death)
    2. Thief Of Time (fantastic imagination and concept)
    3. Interesting times (I really love Rincewind and the whole wizzardry logic of his)
    4. NightWatch (Vimes and Carrot, actually all Watchbooks are great)
    5. Small Gods (a fantastic twist on the ol' religion thing)

I'm reading "Jingo" at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Guards!Guards! was a literary masterpiece as far as I was concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Going Postal - Hilarious... clacks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Going Postal - Hilarious... clacks!!

It really was excellent - You should check out Making Money as well. Another great Lipwig and Vetinari story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Hogfater, Reaper Man, Jingo, Night Watch, Carpe Jugulum, The Fifth Elephant. These are my top six for the series. I can't think of five I didn't enjoy really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

My top 6 (because when I tried to pick 5 I hurt my head) in no particular order
    1. Night Watch - Vimes is a genius character, and Carcer is a perfect bad guy, and really could have appeared in more.
    2. Moving Pictures - a wonderful parody of the film industry
    3. Going Postal - Lipwig is again a genius character, similar to Vimes especially with the banter between him and Vetineri.
    4. Monstrous Regiment - More twists than a twisty twist! Loved it. (must dig it out and read it again)
    5. Jingo - I normally dislike political type thingies, but Vimes did it for me again, arresting a whole battlefield, and Carrot organising a kickabout!
    6. Last Hero - Simply work of illustrated mastery.
    4 That while not bad, didn't thrill me as much.
    1. Making Money - Good, but not GREAT
    2. Thud - Too political for my liking
    3. Wee Free Men - but as said above, the Feegle were brilliant. "Yan, tan, tethra!" "Baaaaaaaaa"
    4. Feet of Clay - Again, I think it was good, but the political/slavery bit was too forced for me
    Thats all from me. There can only be one t'sand!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

You've all missed the best of the lot, MORT! what better character is there than Death himself.
    Also Wyrd sisters, any with Luggage in it (sapient pearwood, what an invention). Pyramids, Witches abroad, Reaperman...and so on....and on...and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

favourite - probs the fifth elephant or any of the watch series, love the witches/lancre ones two

least favourites - death series, i just dont find myself able to reread any of them especially hogfather, i like susan and death as characters and the other minor ones like albert just dont like the storys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Here's a list for those of you who can't think of them all:

The Colour of MagicThe Light FantasticEqual RitesMortSourceryWyrd SistersPyramidsGuards! Guards!EricMoving PicturesReaper ManWitches AbroadSmall GodsLords and LadiesMen at ArmsSoul MusicInteresting TimesMaskeradeFeet of ClayHogfatherJingoThe Last ContinentCarpe JugulumThe Fifth ElephantThe TruthThief of TimeThe Last HeroThe Amazing Maurice and his Educated RodentsNight WatchThe Wee Free MenMonstrous RegimentA Hat Full of SkyGoing PostalThud!WintersmithMaking Money

I'll go
    1. Thief of Time
    2. Night Watch
    3. Small Gods
    4. Moving Pictures - maybe biased, it was the first one I read
    5. Lords and Ladies

worst...
    5. Thud!
    4. The Light Fantastic
    3. Witches Abroad
    2. Wintersmith
    1. Making Money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I havent read most of them, but thief of time is most definitely in my top 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

1. Reaper Man
    2. Fifth Elephant
    3. Carpe Juggulum
    4. Hogfather
    5. Mort

Worst
    1. Equal Rites
    2. Pyramids
    3. Colour of Magic
    4. Light Fantastic
    5. Last Continent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I have some absolute favourites - Wyrd Sisters, Night Watch, Small Gods and The Truth (more a sentimental favourite cos it was the first I read). And I have some I would never pick up again.

I completely agree that Colour of Magic is bad - I think it's terrible actually and I can't believe they made that one as a film. It was a bunch of differing plot threads sown together badly. Light Fantistic and Sourcery as close behind (not for the same reasons.) I like the Wizards but can't stand Rincewind apart from in Eric.

I loved Going Postal but thought Making Money was the same book with a Find/Replace done on some of the words. Ok, maybe not that bad, but pretty bad.

But the characters are amazing. Granny Weatherwax, Vimes, Death and many of the secondary characters are just amazing - funny, witty, wise and just amazing people. The type of people I really respect - well Granny and Vimes anyway. Though I do think Susan is a rip off of another character I know. That could be just a coincidence - but with the hair and the attitude... I'm not sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Top 5 in no particular order after no. 1:

1. Night Watch - absolutely brilliant. Hands down one of the best books I've read; never mind best Pratchett.
    2. Guards! Guards! - first book of his I read so it has massive sentimental value.
    3. Sourcery - love it. Really well written and very entertaining.
    4. Mort - the second of his books that I read. Great story.
    5. Thief of Time - so cool. Lu Tze is definitely one of his best characters.

Worst (this is difficult...):

1. Feet of Clay - just wasn't feeling this one. It felt a bit like hard work.
    2. Maskerade - I'm not a fan of any of the Witches' books really (Lords and Ladies excluded) because they seem to be half-arsed. I can't put my finger on it exactly.
    3. Interesting Times - I don't really like Rincewind. There. I said it.
    4. Monstrous Regiment - Thinly-veiled political agendas. It wasn't the Pratchett I'd come to know and love.
    5. Making Money - some interesting insights into the world of banking, but to be honest it felt like a copy/paste of Going Postal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

There are some that stand out for me as particular favourites, and others I didn't enjoy as much, but in general I like all of them. So in the spirit of the thread....

Best;
    1 Soul Music
    2 Guards! Guards!
    3 Thief of Time
    4 Hogfather
    5 Thud!

Worst;
    1 Equal Rites
    2 Maskerade
    3 The Last Continent
    4 Moving Pictures
    5 The Light Fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

Best
    Men at Arms
    Night Watch
    Mort
    Small Gods
    Wyrd Sisters

Worst
    Soul Music
    Last Continent
    Thud
    Equal Rites
    Reaper Man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Best
    Night Watch
    Soul Music
    Thud
    Equal Rites
    Men at Arms

Worst
    Any of the Tiffany Aching books
    Unseen Academicals
    Making Money

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Best
    1. Feet of Clay (Nobby as king? how could that NOT be funny?)
    2. Men at Arms
    3. Pyramids
    4. Small Gods
    5. Amazing Maurice (Childish but it was the first Discworld novel i read, deserves a mention)

Worst:
    1. Maskerade
    2. Carpe Jugleum
    3. Soul music
    4. Night Watch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My Favourites in no order: Wyrd Sisters, Colour of Magic, Going Postal, Night Watch, Small Gods.
    Least Favourite: Carpe Jugulum,The last continent, Jingo,Monstrous Regiment, Equal Rites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Favourites:
    1. Night Watch - Loved seeing all the characters back then. In particular Vetinari as a young student in the Assassins Guild. The whole novel was flawless in my opinion.
    2. Thud! - I thought it was genius in relation to the whole racism thing. Loved the sub-plot with Angua and the new female vampire recruit to the Watch as well, very funny. Also has one of my favourite stand alone scenes of any of the Discworld novels where
    Vimes goes to see Cyroprase in the Pork Futures factory.
    3. Small Gods - Great stuff I thought, packed full of very quotable lines all the way through. Loved the Ephebian philosophers too.
    4. Jingo - If only for the quote in my sig.
    5. Soul Music - Puntastic! Loved spotting all the references to deaf leopards and the grateful Death etc. Cleaning up hotel rooms after gigs. :D

Least Favourites: Anything with Rincewind and the wizards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Best:
    1. Hogfather
    2. Mort
    3. Thief of Time
    4. Night Watch
    5. Going Postal

Worst:
    1. Thud
    2. Unseen Academicals
    3. Making Money
    4. Moving Pictures
    5. Lords and Ladies.

Of course, Pratchett's worst is still comparable to the best of some authors! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Best:
    1. Night Watch - Just a fantastic book
    2. Men at Arms
    3. Guards! Guards!
    4. Hogfather
    Couldn't decide between these 4 for the last slot so they all get it.
    5. Jingo
    5. The Fifth Elephant
    5. Feet of Clay
    5. The Truth

Meh:
    5. Thud! - Of all the Watch books its the only one I don't like
    4. The Light Fantastic - First and second book so wasn't great
    3. The Colour of Magic
    2. Going Postal - Just a clone of The Truth
    1. Making Money - Even worse clone of Going Postal/The Truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 mk1600

Top 5 (no order)
    Mort
    The Last Continent
    The Fifth Elephant
    Thud
    Small Gods

-special mentions to ( equal rites and sorcery - haven't read them in a while and thief of time)

Worst
    Moving pictures (bad book)
    Monstrous regiment (took me a while to get through but not bad)
    ....... (no more)

Advertisement