Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netgear DG834PN firewall settings

• 05-01-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi,

trying to reduce my settings on my firewall settings on my router so i can use it with my xbox but there is no actual option to set the firewall to slow(as far as i can see), there is only inbound and outbound access which apparently you can edit,it has an option but when i click edit under the inbound access(which has "block always" for inbound access) it says u have to choose a radio button but there is no radio buttons,all you can do is highlight text which dors nothing, does anyone know how to reduce the netgear routers firewall? I dont have a clue.

Any help would be great,thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That might not be the best solution but I realise how stressful setting up these things can be. Have you looked into port forwarding or putting the Xbox in a DMZ (demilitarised zone) instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

ok i dont know what either of them mean sorry!

Not to worry. If your box has a static IP address, you can tell your router to route all traffic to it when it's directed at a certain port (port forwarding). Putting it in a DMZ allows every port to be accessed over the Internet (not the best solution). Not being much of a gamer, can't really advise you on the specifics of setting it up :( If the Xbox supports UPnP, then things are a lot easier.

If I used port forwarding would that just stop me from being able to use the internet on my laptop at the same time?

rejkin wrote: »
    If I used port forwarding would that just stop me from being able to use the internet on my laptop at the same time?
    Nope. Both can be operational concurrently. I'm sure an Xbox user will be around shortly to explain better than I can :)

• Advertisement

ok cool,found this on the main netgear support site http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100981.asp

where would i set these filters?

[EDIT] works with hooking it straight up to the modem so must be to do with the laptop settings,thanks for the help:)

So it's working? That looks like a rotten solution. Worth updating the router with the latest firmware while you're at it.

What's the problem with your laptop? Might be able to help.

well this http://www.jakeludington.com/xbox/20061208_xbox_network_connection_sharing.html
    is supposed to work and already a few people have reported success but when I try to do it it never works,the IP always fails,its so annoying,iv already put the wireless and the wan settings to automatically choose an IP but it doesnt help,I think its to do with the fact that a mesage comes up saying an error occurred when i try to choose local access network as the network i want to allow to use the internet through my laptop. Its very annoying especially that its supposedly simple to do but doesnt work for me

Internet Connection Sharing is a pain. There's often a conflict with IP addresses between your laptop and the router. You'll have to take the laptop out of infrastructure mode and put it into ad-hoc mode.

You don't really need to use ICS though seeing as you have a router. Just let the laptop connect 'normally' to your wireless router and also connect the Xbox to the router directly (ideally using an ethernet cable and not wirelessly). You'll make savings on your electricity bill as well. If you're not keen on running cables or buying an ethernet bridge, it might be easier to relocate your router to be near your Xbox and then run a cable and to have the laptop connect wirelessly.

yeah im gonna try put my modem downstairs and make my main comp wireless,tbh though the main comp isnt used much so its grand,do you know of a gadget to divide my telephone socket between my modem and my telephone so i can basically put two phone wires into my phone socket in my wall i.e like an extension cord you get for plugging in multple plugs into one socket

• Advertisement

Well you will have the microfilter to plug into the phone socket (marked 'phone' and 'modem'). Then get a bog standard phone splitter and connect it to the phone output.

Sometimes this can lead to problems. If you experience problems with this setup, then I'd suggest you connect the bog standard splitter to the socket first and then connect your current microfilter and another to the two outputs. Then connect the output of one microfilter to your modem and phone and the phone output of the second microfilter to your second phone/fax machine/whatever.

brilliant,i have them so im gonna try it out,thanks for the help :)

No prob. Forgot to mention it's easy to install an extension socket if you're not keen on having to look at a monstrosity of microfilters and splitters coming out of the one socket. Good luck.

Advertisement